Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bedrooms  (Read 1200 times)

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bedrooms
« on: September 12, 2010, 11:48:44 am »

Is there any particular reason to give each dwarf their own bedroom? I find it tedious to assign each and every one of them a room. Is their a way to let them all store their stuff somewhere that is not on the traps in front of my fort that doesn't involve assigning 150 dwarves a room.

I haven't yet figured out a marco that would make that less annoying.
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedrooms
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 11:56:16 am »

once you have an economy, they will claim / rent anything designated as a bedroom on their own.  you still have to dig it out, put furniture in it, and designate it as a bedroom.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 12:04:04 pm »

uh, even before you have an economy.
Dorfs should automatically assign themselves to free designated bedrooms.
Even easier though, is to just make a DORMITORY (a single large room with a bunch of beds)

Right now there are a few bugs floating around bedrooms (fixed for next version) where dorfs might NOT automatically assign themselves, or use the dormitory.

A dwarf with his own room is a much HAPPIER dwarf though.

As far as macros/convinance goes, you could always try using QUICK FORT which is built for exactly such things.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 12:17:45 pm »

I agree,
it is definitely a nice thing, I use it to designate my 3*3*11*11 tile big apartment complexes (with 32 apartments each) with just a few keystrokes...
if I didnīt care so much about assigning cabinets, coffers, doors and beds by hand, I would let quick fortress make this also for me

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 12:46:26 pm »

What I do is make a giant shared bedroom.  It's like a dormitory, but each bed is it's own room assigned to a dwarf, and they all overlap.  Even if a dwarf sleeps in the wrong bed, it's still in technically in their bedroom.  Anything in the shared area, like cabinets or chests, will be usable by all the dwarfs.  The room value suffers a little, but its nothing a few artifacts or decorated statues can't fix. 

Assigning each bed still takes a while, but it's not that bad.  All the beds are right next to each other and it doesn't matter which dwarf gets which bed.  It's color coded too, dwarfs with a room already have their name in brown while the ones without are green.

oolon1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 02:53:44 am »

Is there any particular reason to give each dwarf their own bedroom?

Here are the reasons:  It gives them happy thoughts.  It gives them a place to store their claimed items.  It makes your fortress more... realistic.

Bed usage is bugged right now, but Toady said it's fixed for 0.31.13.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 06:27:07 am »

As LucasUP said, I just make bedrooms, (use q-r)and let the dwarves claim them in theri own time. Can't be arsed assigning a specific dwarf to a specific room, if they'll never go in there again. having cabinets in rooms stops the messy buggers leaving mittens on the battlefield and running out to their doom to collect them.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 06:33:42 am »

What I do is make a giant shared bedroom.  It's like a dormitory, but each bed is it's own room assigned to a dwarf, and they all overlap.  Even if a dwarf sleeps in the wrong bed, it's still in technically in their bedroom.  Anything in the shared area, like cabinets or chests, will be usable by all the dwarfs.  The room value suffers a little, but its nothing a few artifacts or decorated statues can't fix. 

Don't overlapping rooms have their quality rating degraded?  Or is that only with different room-types like when you have your Mayor's study and dining room use the same chair and table?

edit: Oh wait, you just mentioned that you have to compensate for quality degradation.  But still, even a crappy bedroom is better than no bedroom.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."