Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What is hell really?  (Read 9380 times)

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is hell really?
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2010, 11:13:54 am »

how many z-levels up are they? I must reach them!
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2010, 11:21:38 am »

To add to the dead dwarves coming back discussion, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere from toady that people and animals who are left in the refuse pile (aka not given proper rest) will eventualy come back to life and kill you, I think he also jokingly mentioned something about making some artifacts bring people back from the dead, but on your side.
Nom nom nom

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2010, 11:22:35 am »

still, what purpose does hell have in df world? theres no dead people, no satan; as far as we know theres no heaven (is it at the top of the spire? we'll never know.) so what does it do? what is it for? why is it there?

My interpretation?  Hell just is.  The world of Dwarf Fortress is a cruel world of meaningless lives and false gods, where all souls, from the righteous to the profane, end up in the depths, to be twisted into macabre forms and damned to forever hate and envy the living.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2010, 11:31:10 am »

It's not that bad because dwarves drop all their stuff when they die, so you would be attacked by a nude unarmed axedwarf. I'd be more interested in the quadruple-amputee engraver from my last fort rising again.

The forgotten zombie Urist McDead has come! A grotesque mass of quivering and decaying flesh, it flops erratically. Beware its gibbering teeth!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2010, 11:34:36 am »

Beware its lust for violence!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2010, 11:36:32 am »

My interpretation is that Hell isn't as important as we are lead to believe. You dig down and down and down, but what really do you accomplish? Break into a few caverns? Find a sea of magma? Big deal. You break through the adamantine, but what important thing to you find? Nothing. A bleak, dark cavern of unminable rock filled with mindless powerful beasts you dub demons. It isn't even worth it. And that's the true horror, that this place you know to exist or at least suspected to exist isn't some epic battle for untold wealth or power, it's just a bunch of animals who roam around in the dark for all eternity attacking any outsiders they come across.

I think Toady should add some sort of Infinite Torture Device at the bottom of the glowing pits, that will drag any passerby down into it and do horrible things to them while not allowing them to die. It would be the only way to 1-up Upper Hell.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2010, 12:34:30 pm »

Giant tentacles reaching up out of the pits and attacking dwarves/pulling them in.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 01:25:09 pm »

I've always seen it more as another plane overlaying the DF world with the portals to it sealed by adamantine in some long-forgotten war.  By breaching one of the tubes, you reopen the portals and the demons can swarm out.

Considering demons are capable of becoming gods and civilization leaders, it would be really interesting to have actual demonic civilizations down there fighting each other, creating settlements and artifacts, and fighting or collaborating with civilizations above.  A dwarven civilization that, say, sold its proverbial soul to ally with them for whatever purposes would be a new twist on relations between them and their fellow dwarves.  There would be a high price for such an unholy alliance, of course...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2010, 03:09:49 pm »

I've always seen it more as another plane overlaying the DF world with the portals to it sealed by adamantine in some long-forgotten war.  By breaching one of the tubes, you reopen the portals and the demons can swarm out.

Considering demons are capable of becoming gods and civilization leaders, it would be really interesting to have actual demonic civilizations down there fighting each other, creating settlements and artifacts, and fighting or collaborating with civilizations above.  A dwarven civilization that, say, sold its proverbial soul to ally with them for whatever purposes would be a new twist on relations between them and their fellow dwarves.  There would be a high price for such an unholy alliance, of course...
Or you could just make an underdark to replace hell, or maybe just place hell below the underdark.
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2010, 04:08:03 pm »

ya, just make, what, 9 circles of hell, and you have to conqure each one.. each level getting progressively more impossible... and then if you did just a liiiitle bit deeper, suddenly your dwarves find themselves at z level 32767!, (assuming toady used short ints)    :D
Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2010, 04:13:46 pm »

When you think about it, we can only scratch the surface of hell. If the center of the world is hell, then hell is massive. Much bigger than everything above, since the surface can only stretch around it. The majority of the world is hell. And we're only breaking into the first part of it. Deep down, wherever the glowing pits lead to, is where the ultimate horrors lurk.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2010, 07:57:06 pm »

When you think about it, we can only scratch the surface of hell. If the center of the world is hell, then hell is massive. Much bigger than everything above, since the surface can only stretch around it. The majority of the world is hell. And we're only breaking into the first part of it. Deep down, wherever the glowing pits lead to, is where the ultimate horrors lurk.

It must be explored. I request that a map of ALL of HFS is made. ALL of it. Then, build. Build the greatest megaproject. Ever.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2010, 10:56:20 pm »

Or you could just make an underdark to replace hell, or maybe just place hell below the underdark.

That seems like what's sort of going on with the lower levels of the caverns, but it's far from that degree of difficulty or danger right now.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2010, 11:40:58 pm »

Aint there anyway to mod hell?
Like replacing the slade with normal stone and then we can see whats under :P
( i know its nothing there )

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2010, 11:50:14 pm »

uhh actually undead are friendly... to those under the wild civ.
found this out from body swapping a hellish sky blue fiend and climb up a demon fort.

the zombie animalmen and maybe wild sentient animals won't attack those who is apart of the Wild civ which is marked "-1" in runesmith this means one can walk into a demon fort and recruit the undead.
From what I know from hell is that it just another plane that wild animals walk in.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5