Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What is hell really?  (Read 9374 times)

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is hell really?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 01:30:02 pm »

I'm pretty sure dwarves will eventually stop dropping what they have when they die.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 04:31:38 pm »

Suddenly, making a bunch of extra coffins early in fort construction becomes even more of a good idea.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 04:58:23 pm »

Suddenly, making a bunch of extra coffins early in fort construction becomes even more of a good idea.

And making separate, heavily trapped, tombs for your best warriors seems to be a good idea too for some reason... Scaaared now
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 05:02:33 pm »

Single adamantine serrated disc trap and dump your soldier's armor and weapon when they die (assuming their inventory is tracked the same as if they were alive).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 06:13:27 pm »

Hmm.  Could you mod hellcritters to drop adamantine when they die?

Suddenly, storming Hell seems a lot more appealing.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 09:10:29 pm »

Why do undead have to be hostile? What if they were ecstatic upon death and a lot of their friends are still alive in the fort, and then they stay loyal and controllable? Or still be uncontrollable but help you out?

Also, if the dead eventually do rise, make sure to hide the =rat leather backpacks.=
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 09:58:38 pm »

Zombie thought process: "Brrrrraaaaiiiinnnnssss....."
Skeletal thought process: ".........................."

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 10:04:50 pm »

Hmm.  Could you mod hellcritters to drop adamantine when they die?

Suddenly, storming Hell seems a lot more appealing.

Demons are procedurally generated, so you can't make them drop adamantine. However you could mod in adamantine creatures that live in hell.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2010, 04:22:49 am »

Kinda makes me wonder if you couldn't make a race of unkillable creatures that guard against the release of demons, and kill the hellspawn. So, some kind of elephant-carp-unicorn-eagle thing.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2010, 04:50:40 am »

I just realized how much this game needs the damned souls of dwarves to show up down there.

There's definitely something in the string dumps that hinted at a similar thing

WARNING: possible huge spoiler

Perhaps that's nothing new and they are just leftovers from past versions i don't know of? I started playing during 40d after all.
Yeah, it's an olllllld relic from the 2D days. The days of Boatmurdered. Back then, there were a number of scripted events. One of them was that on year 6 or so, all your dead rose from their graves (so yes, coffins merely specified their starting location) and attacked you. That was mentioned in a DF talk, the same one which talked of artifacts I believe. In the future, there will be mechanisms for bringing those thoughts back. Mind, "thoughts" will be changed by then anyway.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2010, 06:14:10 am »

This reminds me of the d20 3.5 game, "Midnight", where the evil god succeeded in locking the good pantheon out of communication with reality, and the only spells that worked were tainted by necromancy in some fashion. It wasn't "if" the dead rose again, it was "when", and the rules for maintaining control as a sentient post-mortem zombie were all relative to how long it had been since you last ate sentient flesh.

The dwarves had a unique solution to the problem... any dead dwarf was simply smashed under an extremely large rock, so that even if the corpse DID come back to life, it wasn't going anywhere. Because of the access to extremely large rocks, the dwarves were the only race that DIDN'T suffer from a zombie apocolypse.

It occurs to me that "Midnight" might be an unstated precursor to DF. The setting was incredibly similar. It even had cannibal elves.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2010, 07:39:28 am »

DF dwarves just replace the rock with a drawbridge and offer these services free of charge to humans, elves, and goblins.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2010, 10:59:44 am »

still, what purpose does hell have in df world? theres no dead people, no satan; as far as we know theres no heaven (is it at the top of the spire? we'll never know.) so what does it do? what is it for? why is it there?
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2010, 11:00:29 am »

To cause Fun.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2010, 11:11:46 am »

The gods imprisoned the demons there during the Creation Event (civ placement) for plotting to abort worldgen. The pantheon is simply too high for us to reach, or the gods are a fundamental part of the system of nature and have no physical form or need for a home. The world is their home.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5