Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What is hell really?  (Read 9385 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What is hell really?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 07:26:41 pm »

hmm... does hell have a biome tag?

[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM][UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:•:○]

"•" is the highest cavern level you want the creature to appear on
"○" is the lowest.

1 - 3 = corresponding cavern layer
4 = magma sea
5 = hell

EDIT:
has been attacked by a dead and still annoying acquaintance lately
This is beautiful.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 07:29:28 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 08:01:52 pm »

People are conquering hell because it's really just the initial rush o doom. At first this was nearly a guaranteed doom because of how things without blood or organs were nearly immortal (we still should have been able to get away with caving in a really long path) but now the &'s are quite killable via weapon trauma. They're still very dangerous at a distance but if you make a corner-riffic area to fight in they don't get nearly so many chances to use those attacks. A very very large army has a legitimate shot at killing the flood of rape that spills out, though training that many dwarves up to legendary combat skills would probably be out bounds for most players if not for danger rooms.

If there were a seasonal siege down there people probably wouldn't have conquered the place, at least without modding dwarves to be made out of slade and that sort of thing.

I just realized how much this game needs the damned souls of dwarves to show up down there.

There's definitely something in the string dumps that hinted at a similar thing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WARNING: possible huge spoiler

Perhaps that's nothing new and they are just leftovers from past versions i don't know of? I started playing during 40d after all.
Yeah, old versions. At one point Toady had it scripted so that a fort would have to deal with everything dead rising from the grave but if I recall that wasn't ever in an actual release. Or it was really short lived.

In the talks he has hinted at this sort of thing possibly happening once artifacts do more than add value to your fort. Also talked about how he doesn't want this stuff to be absolutely undecipherable to players though so it needs a lot of framework.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 04:49:16 am »

Thanks for all the replys :P
Now i have more knowledge of hell and i might try that colonation thingy

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 05:45:28 am »

Y'know, all this talk of Hell, and nobody has yet successfully built the tower that will lead to the conquest of Armok's heavenly abode.

It occurs to me that 99% of dwarven tower building projects I've seen have ended in the same hilarious moral as that of the tale of the Tower of Babel... mass insanity and the wrath of a mildly annoyed god (me).
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 05:59:29 am »

has been attacked by a dead and still annoying acquaintance lately

So sigged.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 06:12:35 am »

Y'know, all this talk of Hell, and nobody has yet successfully built the tower that will lead to the conquest of Armok's heavenly abode.

It occurs to me that 99% of dwarven tower building projects I've seen have ended in the same hilarious moral as that of the tale of the Tower of Babel... mass insanity and the wrath of a mildly annoyed god (me).

Toady should so add Heaven as a place you can storm. And I don't mean the kind of Heaven where it's puffy clouds and winged babies. I mean stuff like the six-winged lion monsters covered with eyes from Revelations
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:17:28 am by Bronze Dog »
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 06:20:44 am »

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 06:23:21 am »

How about if you pierce hell and heaven it turns into an awesome battle between demons and sky demons?

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 08:08:16 am »

Naw, I think it should be populated with all the dwarves that have died so far, and they're PISSED, and they have WINGS. And LASER EYES.

ANGEL DWARVES WITH WINGS AND LASER EYES. THE NEW MEGABEAST.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 08:54:46 am »

Toady should so add Heaven as a place you can storm. And I don't mean the kind of Heaven where it's puffy clouds and winged babies. I mean stuff like the six-winged lion monsters covered with eyes from Revelations
And then there'd be nearly 3x the number of Gurren Lagann references and modding of drills :D
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 10:57:52 am »

A more interesting question: Do dwarves that die in hell just stay there? Because it seems to be something nice for the lazy souls, you don't even need to bother with a tunnel and light.

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 11:25:39 am »

I just realized how much this game needs the damned souls of dwarves to show up down there.

There's definitely something in the string dumps that hinted at a similar thing

WARNING: possible huge spoiler

Perhaps that's nothing new and they are just leftovers from past versions i don't know of? I started playing during 40d after all.
I believe that Toady's planning on adding the dead coming back to life in Evil regions eventually, but I don't think those are used now.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 11:39:59 am »

if thats the case , then wouldt you be really really in deep crap if your legendary axedwarf rose from the dead? lolz. imagine the bits of dwarf flying all over.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 01:11:09 pm »

It's not that bad because dwarves drop all their stuff when they die, so you would be attacked by a nude unarmed axedwarf. I'd be more interested in the quadruple-amputee engraver from my last fort rising again.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Magma_science

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Human wrestler!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 01:20:58 pm »

I guess if you had Legendary Biter in your fort it would be fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5