Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What is hell really?  (Read 9383 times)

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is hell really?
« on: September 12, 2010, 10:50:59 am »

Okey so i just played a new fortress for around a week and then i thought maby i could dig down under the 0-z level and when i got down long enought it seemed i digged into hell and i was swarmed by Demons and my entire fort died........But what creatures are down there if you manage to fight your way down there....Is there a megabeasts? The devil?
I tried the Wiki but they didnt help much.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What is hell really?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 10:52:19 am »

You know those demons that killed everything? Those guys. In infinite numbers.

Also, spoiler your title.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:54:19 am »

not much except DEMANS, but forgotten beasts can come in, also only dig down there if you have a good enough army or good enough traps :/ there is a DEMAN fortress but only on cirtain reigion squares
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

Utaelilya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 10:55:08 am »

Okey so nothing but demons? :/
also how do i spoiler my title ? :/

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 10:58:36 am »

Yeah, nothing but demons. And they don't appear to be nearly as threatening as they used to be since a lot of people are conquering hell now. In my opinion that shouldn't be possible. A slade colossus should just wipe your entire fortress out if you try to move down there.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 11:33:58 am »

An infinite expanse of slade, where the legions of hell roam like wild beasts, punctuated by bottomless pits that annihilate anything tossed into them.  There are also a few demonic fortresses, and if you're lucky, or know where to look, you'll find some occasional engravings.  They're the result of a glitch, but can be quite spooky when you stumble on them after resigning yourself to the belief that hell is without variation or life.  I've basically resigned myself to the belief I've seen all of hell there is to be seen, but there's a non-zero chance there's some surprise down there we've not seen, and while it's low priority, I suspect Hell may yet become more interesting and Fun.  I once attempted to mod in flora and fauna for hell; I succeeded with the fauna, entirely by accident, but no amount of raw editing allowed me to force something to grow in that stygian abyss.  I had to cancel the project early, though, due to a CompSci project; I may try it again some day.
Also, to deal with spoilers, edit your main post, change it to something like "What is HFS really?"
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:38:04 am by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 11:36:51 am »

also how do i spoiler my title ? :/

"What is HFS really?"

HFS is short for "Hidden Fun Stuff."

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 11:37:39 am »

At first I thought this was a philosophical question. :o

Then I read the op. :(

What can I say, I'm a sucker for pointless philosophical discussions about video games.

Yeah, nothing but demons. And they don't appear to be nearly as threatening as they used to be since a lot of people are conquering hell now. In my opinion that shouldn't be possible. A slade colossus should just wipe your entire fortress out if you try to move down there.

Most of the appeal of hell is that it is a very, very difficult challenge but still possible. The sheer number of people conquering hell probably just means people are wising up to it and adapting their tactics to an area that essentially has a perpetual siege mode going on. That doesn't mean that hell is a cakewalk by any stretch of the imagination. For example, I haven't seen anyone create mega-projects in hell yet, like cities hanging from the ceiling of hell that are entirely self-sufficient and aesthetically pleasing, or pyramids or any of that.

If hell is too easy, though, it's definitely possible to make it harder without resorting to the BS that would be a slade colossus. If I had to choose one change, it'd probably be the ability for demons, or just some demons, to tunnel through rock (except for adamantite, slade, and semi-molten rock) and break constructions like walls and floors freely. And if its still too easy just give demons the siege mechanic, making them do large seasonal bum-rushes led by powerful demons.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 12:53:30 pm »

Hell is other dwarves.

It's also a place to get a really nice Plump Helmet Roast from time to time.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 01:13:09 pm »

It'd be awesome if hell leaked out during world gen.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 01:16:25 pm »

It'd be awesome if hell leaked out during world gen.

The contents do. They impersonate human gods and take over goblin civs.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 01:16:40 pm »

I just realized how much this game needs the damned souls of dwarves to show up down there.

This. So much this.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 03:52:35 pm »

hmm... does hell have a biome tag?

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 06:56:51 pm »

I just realized how much this game needs the damned souls of dwarves to show up down there.

There's definitely something in the string dumps that hinted at a similar thing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WARNING: possible huge spoiler

Perhaps that's nothing new and they are just leftovers from past versions i don't know of? I started playing during 40d after all.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 07:16:10 pm »

There's definitely something in the string dumps that hinted at a similar thing

WARNING: possible huge spoiler

Perhaps that's nothing new and they are just leftovers from past versions i don't know of? I started playing during 40d after all.
I find the last one quite humorous. They're triggered by being attacked by specific zombified creatures, I presume. I don't think there's any implemented means by which to raise dead on-screen, but the thoughts are there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5