Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 118 bars of flat worm clown soap (SPOILERS)  (Read 2077 times)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
118 bars of flat worm clown soap (SPOILERS)
« on: September 12, 2010, 12:32:59 am »

So I recently accidentally broach HFS... a second time. I had done it earlier this fort, but luckily sealed it back up before the hordes upon hordes of demons swarmed me. Eight or so years later, as I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel of my blue veins (well, actually, more like discovering the bottom of the iceberg) I accidentally breach it... AGAIN.

I obviously need to be more careful.

Anyway, this time I wasn't even paying attention when it happened, and no notification came up. Lucky for me, it seems opening up a new entrance to HFS in a new blue vein doesn't respawn a new invasion fleet, and no demons immediately swarmed in. I noticed before anyone came in, I (thought) I sealed it up, and everything is fine, right?

Well, wrong, actually. Turns out I the way I had breached HFS was with a staircase on the side of the tube, and it opened both horizontally AND vertically into HFS, and I only sealed the horizontal. A few months later I receive the notification, "Miner cancels dig: Interrupted by flat worm clown."

I nearly have a heartattack. I quickly zoom to the announcement and see that indeed, two flat worm clowns have begun chasing around a miner, who is doggedly 10 squares or so ahead of them. I quickly station my military to head them off. They head over, the flat worm clowns breath out some poisonous gas engulfing the miners and the entire squad, the squad kills the clowns, and then the miner and one entire squad of military dwarfs is paralyzed and suffocate to death.

Well, shoot, I think, that sucks.

But low and behold! Flat worm clown corpses! My prodigious butcher shop gets to work and pretty soon I find myself the proud owner of 118 globs of flat worm clown tallow. I'm currently waiting for it to be rendered, but the solution is obvious: I need to make me some flat worm clown soap.

The only question is, what to do with that? Save it for a mood? Build a monument out of soap to the fallen dwarves? Stock a hospital built in the HFS itself once I implement my budding plan of copying that guy who colonized the HFS? What should I do with my newfound globby loot?

I'm taking all suggestions. In particular models of monuments that are beautiful, dwarfy, and involve exactly 118 bars of soap would be great.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: 118 bars of flat worm clown soap (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 12:35:16 am »

Well, at least use 3 as a temporary trade depot (Ever wonder what the elves would think? ;)

Make a giant ampersand hovering above your base.  how is that for saying "suck it" to the clowns?  raise it on cotton candy pillars.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:46:03 am »

Build a giant statue of a dwarf with it.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:50:51 am »

Make at least one soap so you can tell us the value.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 02:28:44 am »

My flatworm devil intestines have a value of 2 each, which indicates to me that clowns (or this clown, at least) has no material multiplier.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 02:33:25 am »

Good to know

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 04:18:04 am »

I'm still at a loss for how horrific demons and the metallic equivalent of awesome are referred to as things you would find at a carnival.

O_o
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 04:19:40 am »

I'm still at a loss for how horrific demons and the metallic equivalent of awesome are referred to as things you would find at a carnival.

O_o

It's just so as not to spoil the game for anyone.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 04:21:30 am »

O_o
Its an old and ridiculous meme which should really have died a while ago.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 04:25:28 am »

Pennywise.

John Wayne Gacy.

This.

The fact that clowns scare the shit out of kids.

It matches DF's concept of Fun quite well. Clowns are funny (meaning scary as hell), so when you get clowns, you have Fun (mass slaughter).

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 04:25:57 am »

O_o
Its an old and ridiculous meme which should really have died a while ago.

Well, you can't just tell people not to call them that. That would be like saying elephants, carp, unicorns, etc. Aren't deadly anymore. Even if they aren't, people will still remember. (I prefer Hidden Fun Stuff to anything else though.)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 04:30:23 am »

Speaking of hidden fun stuff, is there any easy way to locate
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
on the embark map?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 11:49:34 am »

big absolutely massive embark area (10x10?)  liquid luck?  Those are the only ways I could think of...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 12:03:59 pm »

Just call it a circus tent, dude.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 12:26:07 pm »

Stay true to the old ways, HFS is where its at.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: [1] 2