Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Obsidian Shortswords  (Read 1725 times)

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Shortswords
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 06:50:51 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:23:19 pm by Bronimin »

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 09:28:47 pm »

yeah, anyway, the obsidian. apparently one of the more unfortunate conquistadors got his leg sliced off, and then the sword just kept going and went halfway through his horse (normally swords aren't nearly as effective irl as they are in video games). chipped obsidian is almost monomolecular.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:31:19 pm by claer_runway »
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 11:05:00 pm »

There's another account of an obsidian club/sword decapitating a horse in a single hit.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 11:23:20 pm »

Mayan is a language, some people still speak it today, but not many. Just like all the native American languages and Maori and all the Aboriginal languages.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 11:25:59 pm »

obsidian can hold an amazingly sharp edge...and if you are careful with the blade (ie, only use it for slicing, no prying.  probably only possible in surgery or dissection) it will hold it for a long time.  And as for the club/sword decapitation bit, it wouldn't be a club.  it would be more akin to an axe.  you would never use obsidian as a blunt weapon...such a waste of wonderful arrowhead material...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 11:36:43 pm »

ISTR someone saying something to the effect that Obsidian had been fixed so that, whilst it was still obscenely sharp, it had the armour penetration of a wet rag. Which actually sorta makes sense.

So it's presumably magnificent against animals & opponents in cloth/leather, but craptastic against metal.

In DF I can attest to this, Rhesus monkeys, never make it past my first traps, which normally only hold 2-3 swords.

Goblins, elk, muskox, it kills them so hard, their body parts fly wildly in every direction, some even landing on tops on buildings.

Do not underestimate the Obsidian shortsword!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 12:57:32 pm »

Not even Mayanese? (Hah, mayonnaise)
Shhh, nobody was supposed to find out about that until after soylent green came out.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 12:59:51 pm »

I like to use obsidian swords in weapon traps. A good stonecrafter can turn out ZILLIONS of them, and you don't use up precious metal.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 01:51:38 pm »

Yeah, I dunno, You just don't hear about people going and learning "Mayan", and the only old languages I know about are the germanic based ones, cause that's all our history class covered.

Not even Mayanese? (Hah, mayonnaise)

What exact old germanic languages are you learning about?

Aside from Middle and Old English, none of my history classes ever found the need to delve into old Germanic tongues.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!
Pages: 1 [2]