Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: You have struck Elephantine! Praise the Elves!  (Read 5146 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You have struck Elephantine! Praise the Elves!
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 10:09:38 am »

Ugh, elephants. It's great when you've never captured them before and a couple wander into your cage traps, but before you know it you have twenty tame elephants (they gravitate to cage traps), they're all breeding and you have nothing to do with them. The only thing I can really think of is to release them into the caverns (cave elephants!) or even lower.
Cave elephants. You sure you aren't some absurd Lovecraftian writer-poet who's come to plague us? THE HORROR.
After some years of evolution they will develop pickaxe-tusks.
My god that can't happen if elephants grow pickaxe tusks do you know what will happen?  They will mine the whole world into the magma sea so they become the only life in the world.

Are you suggesting that elephants are magma safe? :o
What if they are HFS shaped like pickaxe-tusked elephants?
Search for "Hellephant" here
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2010, 01:42:15 pm »

I got something you should try out for your elephants. Orbital Drop Elephants. Train them into War Elephants and put them in cages up in the sky so that at a single pull of a lever, they all come crashing down into small, channeled out puddles. A second lever lets them all out. Or course, neither are labeled.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2010, 01:57:43 pm »

A quick update on the cave elephants - it failed. Upon releasing 20 untamed elephants into the caverns, they did nothing but pile up against the wall I had built to block access to my fort, trying to get back to the surface. The tigerman, on the other hand, was off around the caverns like a shot, and disappeared off the edge.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2010, 05:19:17 pm »

An animal attack force would probably be the best solution to fighting clowns, if your attack fails It's not like you'd lose anyone important right?

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2010, 06:17:16 pm »

A quick update on the cave elephants - it failed. Upon releasing 20 untamed elephants into the caverns, they did nothing but pile up against the wall I had built to block access to my fort, trying to get back to the surface. The tigerman, on the other hand, was off around the caverns like a shot, and disappeared off the edge.

speaking of cvae elephants.. someone should mod in an animal- cave elephants!

i was thinking maybe like the dragon to cave dragon deal, make them larger tougher, but blind, tuskless, and pale
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2010, 06:30:00 pm »

I got something you should try out for your elephants. Orbital Drop Elephants. Train them into War Elephants and put them in cages up in the sky so that at a single pull of a lever, they all come crashing down into small, channeled out puddles. A second lever lets them all out. Or course, neither are labeled.

oh god, ODETs.  Imagine the crater when that pod hits ground.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2010, 06:45:48 pm »

KADOOOSH!
*Repeated messages of goblins being struck down*
Urist McJohnson: A job well done!
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2010, 08:58:35 pm »

Urist McChief wakes up from fall

Urist McJohnson: Dammit, why you always gotta jump?

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2010, 09:30:34 pm »

It's actually sort of Truth in Dwarf Fortress that elephants are far easier to trap/tame/train than to try to raise.  It's discussed in great detail in Guns, Germs, and Steel (great book) that the reason no one has ever "domesticated" elephants is that taming them is so easy and the logistics of breeding and feeding them are so difficult.

indians (the kind from asia, not the kind from america) raised, tamed, and bred elephants for quite a while.
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2010, 08:36:09 am »

And then you get mineable deposits of fat and tallow in the ground! Mind the BCB content.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]