Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: You have struck Elephantine! Praise the Elves!  (Read 5162 times)

AzureAngelic

• Bay Watcher
  • is waiting for dwarves to invent large blenders
    • View Profile
Re: You have struck Elephantine! Praise the Elves!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 04:19:55 pm »

Oh, and I also meant to ask in the original post, but forgot: Is it odd that the elves are continuously bringing me MORE stuff than the stuff I stole last year? I was under the impression that they would bring less and less as I stole more.

I'm not sure if this is right, but from what I've heard...

Elves value cloth over other products. So when you piss them off, they say "ok, screw these guys, they aren't getting any of our precious cloth", and bring less. Because cloth comes in big heavy bins, losing the cloth frees up a lot of space for un-clothy items.
Urist McFodder cancels Breathe: Interrupted by Goblin.
Urist McAwesome unleashes the magma floods!
Gobbo Steve cancels Attack: Interrupted by Lava.
Lava cancels Kill Goblin: Interruped by Fungiwood.
Urist McAwesome cancels Live: Taken by depression.
Urist McAwesome has perished in lava.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 04:34:29 pm »

Preparing one single elephant hide nearly caused a dwarf to die of thirst, because it took so long. I guess he was thirsty before and couldn't give up half way through. Are elephants building destroyers, because a wild one seemed to climb up the scaffolding and along the aquaduct and destroy the windmill that we had built.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 06:44:01 pm »

Heresy aside, the Elves just brought me a female elephant. And a male elephant. At the same time.
(They also brought me a gorilla, a jaguar, a cheetah, and two lions. Unfortunately, both lions are male.)

So, after I get my elephant breedery set up, what should I do with them, aside from the usual Elephant Army? I was thinking of maybe chaining a war elephant up to every door/choke point. Really, are there any good uses for Elephants, OTHER than an army?

I hear elephants take 10 years to mature so your Elephant army won't be there very quickly.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 06:47:31 pm »

Food food food food food.  A few breeding elephants can produce enough meat to keep a medium-sized fort stocked for years.

I currently have over 80 elephants.  I have no idea what the hell to do with them all.

Train them to war elephants and pit them against the clowns of course! I wanna know how they fare.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 07:03:50 pm »

If you really want bone structures, how about a custom reaction with X number of bones, X amount of gypsum plaster and a bucket of water to create bone blocks for your next worldgen?

In the meantime, decorate every outside door with ivory.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 11:55:10 pm »

war elephants actually fare pretty well against demons.  I had elephants killing demons on a 1-1 ratio for a while without a military.  They were modded a teensy bit though...but they were mostly fighting fire demons. ;)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 12:14:22 am »

Preparing one single elephant hide nearly caused a dwarf to die of thirst, because it took so long. I guess he was thirsty before and couldn't give up half way through. Are elephants building destroyers, because a wild one seemed to climb up the scaffolding and along the aquaduct and destroy the windmill that we had built.

I just had the weirdest mental image of an elephant climbing scaffolding...
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

reborninthefortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 12:18:24 am »

I thought baby elephants took years and years to grow up?

And I've heard that elves consider animals to be of lesser value than other trade goods, so that if you anger them by stealing everything, they 'punish' you by only bringing elephants and giant tigers the next time. Go figure.
'I have enough barrels!'

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 12:32:16 am »

Yeah I mod my elephants to not take years and years to grow up ;) and also have multiple litters.  and kill vermin.  and have 100 tusks.  and be the size of 100 elephants.  And i bring them at embark.  8)

(i really like elephants)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 12:37:35 am »

Oh, and I also meant to ask in the original post, but forgot: Is it odd that the elves are continuously bringing me MORE stuff than the stuff I stole last year? I was under the impression that they would bring less and less as I stole more.

I have seen this in another thread before. The reason this happens is because when you piss them off they bring you trade goods at a worse weight per dollar ratio. so instead of goods that are feather light and worth 100....they bring you something that weighs a ton for about the same (just an example).

the principle is simple and makes sense....bring less bang for your buck as a way of saying "screw you jerks" but where it fails is the fact that they don't check exactly what it is they are bringing.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 01:03:54 am »

wall off the cavern lowest level except 1 tile and make an arena around it, pit elephants in it and let them go up against the forgotten beasts.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 01:08:52 am »

I just had the weirdest mental image of an elephant climbing scaffolding...

hahah ur not alone

Talfryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 09:25:20 am »

Rename your fort Uberwald and then slaughter thousands of elephants in the caverns. Mine tallow!

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 10:17:48 am »

Yeah I mod my elephants to not take years and years to grow up ;) and also have multiple litters.  and kill vermin.  and have 100 tusks.  and be the size of 100 elephants.  And i bring them at embark.  8)

(i really like elephants)

It doesn't sound like you like elephants at all.

Dwarfnorris101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2010, 11:20:50 am »

i wish i had known this before trading with the elves just a month ago >.< then i could get fun pets next time
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4