Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: You have struck Elephantine! Praise the Elves!  (Read 5156 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: You have struck Elephantine! Praise the Elves!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2010, 11:41:23 am »

Hahahaha that is on my modded version.  On my vanilla I just build cage traps randomly across the map and I have trapped about 10 elephants, six gorillas, and a thundering herd of small monkeys.  They will be great for when my military gets started up...(use a danger room to boost defence skills, hand out wooden training weapons, unleash the monkeys. :D )  But the elephants have been tamed and I now have way too many elephant young running around so, +elephant roast+ anyone?

Just remember, steal from the elves at least every other year.  but let the occasional caravan get back (with a dwarf buck or two profit) so they dont stop bringing anything slightly valuable. 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 12:06:02 pm »

It's actually sort of Truth in Dwarf Fortress that elephants are far easier to trap/tame/train than to try to raise.  It's discussed in great detail in Guns, Germs, and Steel (great book) that the reason no one has ever "domesticated" elephants is that taming them is so easy and the logistics of breeding and feeding them are so difficult.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 05:35:08 pm »

Ugh, elephants. It's great when you've never captured them before and a couple wander into your cage traps, but before you know it you have twenty tame elephants (they gravitate to cage traps), they're all breeding and you have nothing to do with them. The only thing I can really think of is to release them into the caverns (cave elephants!) or even lower.

Tupimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 06:01:24 pm »

Ugh, elephants. It's great when you've never captured them before and a couple wander into your cage traps, but before you know it you have twenty tame elephants (they gravitate to cage traps), they're all breeding and you have nothing to do with them. The only thing I can really think of is to release them into the caverns (cave elephants!) or even lower.
Cave elephants. You sure you aren't some absurd Lovecraftian writer-poet who's come to plague us? THE HORROR.

Magma_science

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Human wrestler!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 06:03:14 pm »

Cave elephants. You sure you aren't some absurd Lovecraftian writer-poet who's come to plague us? THE HORROR.
After some years of evolution they will develop pickaxe-tusks.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 06:13:36 pm »

My god that can't happen if elephants grow pickaxe tusks do you know what will happen?  They will mine the whole world into the magma sea so they become the only life in the world.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 06:18:32 pm »

My god that can't happen if elephants grow pickaxe tusks do you know what will happen?  They will mine the whole world into the magma sea so they become the only life in the world.

Are you suggesting that elephants are magma safe? :o

Magma_science

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Human wrestler!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 06:20:53 pm »

What if they are HFS shaped like pickaxe-tusked elephants?

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 06:23:38 pm »

Even worse what happens if the Carnival gets these elephants?

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 06:27:38 pm »

Even worse what happens if the Carnival gets these elephants?

Fun! :D
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 07:15:16 pm »

The carnival wouldn't get those elephants...the elephants would get the carnival! ;)  100 pickaxe tusks+magma safeness+being many powers of ten larger than normal? (i just added a few more zeros ;) )  These are not mere elephants...these are gods

Unless you meant normal elephants evolving into those monstrosities...  Then yes, the carnival would become much more fun...(fire clown with twenty war elephant minions...)
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 07:21:51 pm »

well if hell had elaphants wouldnt hell be destroyed because of the Elaphspolsion and poor FPS

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 07:57:57 pm »

well, the circus seems to do alright even with the clownsplosion so i doubt an elesplosion would harm them too much.  unless those were hundred pick-tusk wielding, thousands of ton weighing elephants. ;)
[DWARFINEERING]

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 03:48:20 am »

What have I unleashed?

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 04:45:34 am »

Heresy aside, the Elves just brought me a female elephant. And a male elephant. At the same time.
(They also brought me a gorilla, a jaguar, a cheetah, and two lions. Unfortunately, both lions are male.)

So, after I get my elephant breedery set up, what should I do with them, aside from the usual Elephant Army? I was thinking of maybe chaining a war elephant up to every door/choke point. Really, are there any good uses for Elephants, OTHER than an army?

Oh yea, elves do that a lot. I already have elephants, grizzly bears, lions and giant tigers breeding programs. Almost butchered my war dogs already. They don't want to bring me second cheetah though.. And two female hippos are not trainable :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4