Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I invented a leet defense system! (TEH TOILET TRAP)  (Read 6491 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: I invented a leet defense system! (TEH TOILET TRAP)
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 09:57:25 pm »

Okay, i have a fort that is doing alright and work is progressing on the trap.  I have somewhere around an 18z level fall awaiting any gobbos that try to invade :D  also, after falling, if they somehow survive, they have to run the gauntlet again.  if they somehow make it past the hatch floors (mainly flyers) then they go through a trap corridor.  If they somehow (flying FB/clown) still get past that, then they go down a spiral ramp around a magmafall (eventually this) and grates generating magma mist ( 8)) then fight through my barracks before getting anywhere near the residential or industrial areas of my fort.  yeah, im pro like that.  8)

every entrance to the caverns or cotton candy spires will be from the stairwells that were used as access to dig this as well allow extremely lucky/unlucky invaders to have a second go.  so, win?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 12:25:06 am »

I have finally successfully built the TTMV! :D
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 01:24:26 am »

Hmmmm....

Instead of killing them with fall damage, I got a better idea.
Make them fall into a pit with a hatch floor. Activating the hatches drops them into a secondary platform. Connected to the happy fun place.

[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 02:01:15 am »

Mine kills them with fall, stab and burn damage all at once :D  And my computer's cores dont like HFS so...yeah.  we will be sticking to fall/stab/burn
[DWARFINEERING]

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2010, 02:57:06 am »

I built this trap in a fort yesterday. I made some unrelated mistakes that cost me my fort to a goblin attack, but the traps performed very effectively while my fort was dying. My design had them dropped down about 20 Z levels plus a few Z levels into a cavern system.

One thing I noticed is that I had a fair bit of spillage from the water used for flushing the toilet. Not enough to flood my fort, but enough to make a mess. Any thoughts on revising the trap? Maybe some grates?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2010, 02:59:26 am »

How did you design the trap?  ie, where was it placed, where were channels etc.  I use a channel next to their path so that the magma has another route for fast draining as opposed to only using the hatches (this would account for that spillage I believe.  With magma even a little spillage can be a big deal...)
[DWARFINEERING]

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 03:11:51 am »

How did you design the trap?  ie, where was it placed, where were channels etc.  I use a channel next to their path so that the magma has another route for fast draining as opposed to only using the hatches (this would account for that spillage I believe.  With magma even a little spillage can be a big deal...)

I had a 4 tile wide walkway that split into 4 single tile tunnels with the hatch->plate->hatch in the middle. The tunnels were perhaps only 9 tiles long. The water hatch was above the pressure plate of course, in a chamber being fed directly from the river. After the traps, the tunnel formed back into a 4 tile path. I did not have any additional channeling, so that could have helped. I wasn't sure if the hatches would support the pressure plate tile if the walls next to it were channeled.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 03:29:08 am »

The hatches will not support the pressure plate tile but if you leave the pillar directly underneath the pressure plate undisturbed through every z level it should be fine.  That is why I left a wall on one side of mine, it prevents me from accidentally collapsing my plate...

T=wall
S=space
H=hatch
P=plate
N=water/magma
K=10xMenacing spikes ;)
F=floor

z +1
TTTTTTT
NNNHNNN
TTTTTTT

z 0
TTTTTTT
FFHPHFF
TTTTTTT

Z -1
TTTTTTT
TTSTSTT
TTTTTTT
Z -n
TTTTTTT
TTKTKTT
FFFFFFF
[DWARFINEERING]

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2010, 03:39:11 am »

The hatches will not support the pressure plate tile but if you leave the pillar directly underneath the pressure plate undisturbed through every z level it should be fine.  That is why I left a wall on one side of mine, it prevents me from accidentally collapsing my plate...

T=wall
S=space
H=hatch
P=plate
N=water/magma
K=10xMenacing spikes ;)
F=floor

z +1
TTTTTTT
NNNHNNN
TTTTTTT

I wonder if part if it is that my reservoir up top isn't segmented like your example here. I.e. there were more water tiles adjacent to the hatch and that increased flow? Not sure if thats how it works.

z 0
TTTTTTT
FFHPHFF
TTTTTTT

Z -1
TTTTTTT
TTSTSTT
TTTTTTT
Z -n
TTTTTTT
TTKTKTT
FFFFFFF

Looks good, I will try that. Beneath my plate/hatch level it was just a 16x16 or so open pit that I had dug out and then channeled via collapsing a floor.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2010, 04:00:54 am »

Well, my cistern was not segmented, it was an open tank, but I just drew it that way for convenience.  :P

The biggest alteration is that side channel as it allows the magma/water to flow away from the pressure plate and hatches keeping the trap from accumulating.
[DWARFINEERING]

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2010, 04:32:20 am »

Well, my cistern was not segmented, it was an open tank, but I just drew it that way for convenience.  :P

The biggest alteration is that side channel as it allows the magma/water to flow away from the pressure plate and hatches keeping the trap from accumulating.

Roger that.

Now at your bottom level, what do you use to keep the water/magma from causing a mess down there? Just some further Z levels below the kill point along with channels/grates? I didn't worry about that in my setup since i was just dumping everyone into a cavern system, but in your setup I imagine being able to retrieve parts/loot is nice.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 09:03:32 am »

So the idea is to force something onto a pressure plate which opens up a liquid gate, 'washing' them down a 'drain'...

TOO DOCILE!

Instead, how about forcing them into a one-tile wide area and onto a pressure plate which activates the legendary dwarven MAGMA CANNON. The magma cannon's mouth is also one tile wide but extends a ways back to build up more pressure. The magma, upon its release, BLASTS whatever was standing on the plate at point-blank range, launching them into a 'drain', where the magma exits and re-enters the loading chamber for the cannon. With such horrible burns, whatever is down in that grate will either be dead immediately or dead within a matter of seconds. Extremely painful and also extremely awesome/effective. Could probably be used against
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
since it's magma too.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2010, 09:39:10 am »

Could probably be used against
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
since it's magma too.

Yeah, you might possibly wash them.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2010, 10:44:22 am »

Ahaha! Hilarious! Pictures pleasseeeee, even half failed ones would be great!!
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

NKDietrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2010, 10:56:44 am »

I've got another fort going with this trap setup again, with a few refinements.

My passages are laid out like this:
TTTTTTT
GGHPHGG
TTTTTTT

Where T is wall, G is grate, H is hatch, and P is pressure plate.

Underneath all that its just a big open pit for 15 levels, then 10x menacing spikes under each hatch, along with some more grating. There are a few more z-levels below this, and then some grating covering up a drop into a cavern system.

Haven't had a goblin attack yet, so I don't know for sure how the new system will work, but the grates should help with the drainage.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4