Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Violence through tragedy? A strange trend I noticed...  (Read 2686 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Violence through tragedy? A strange trend I noticed...
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:04:48 am »

It seems like all of my forts end up pretty boring... until I get bored enough to start slaughtering some Dorfs on purpose.  THEN, without fail, I get waves of Goblin ambushes and a siege.  I'm starting to think this is intentional coding, where the Goblins will generally avoid your fortress when you have no problems, but will go into hyper-berserk-takeover mode the second they see your population starts to decline.  If that is how it works, I must protest, as it leads to my forts all being terribly boring until I do start engaging in Dorf-smiting.  Where's the fun (or Fun) in that?
Sanity is for the weak.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Violence through tragedy? A strange trend I noticed...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 11:08:27 am »

Just let your dwarves be angry at each other and eventually the problem will sort itself out.

Alternatively, start selling large serrated steel/adamantine discs. Invasions are tied to wealth too.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:08:57 am »

if your using vanilla version of DF and getting bored then might i suggest using a mod. i use "fortress defence mod" but any mod that adds more civs (especially hostile) would make it better, an alternative would be using the orc mod, i heard it make things alot harder
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 11:09:31 am »

Just let your dwarves be angry at each other and eventually the problem will sort itself out.

Alternatively, start selling large serrated steel/adamantine discs. Invasions are tied to wealth too.

tied to wealth, is that exported wealth? or created?
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 11:12:02 am »

If that is how it works, I must protest, as it leads to my forts all being terribly boring until I do start engaging in Dorf-smiting.
This isn't how it works. Sieges are based on several triggers which, once tripped, initiate a siege regardless of your fort's current state. I don't know the specific triggers, but I believe you have to be above a certain population and value.

There is no specific "when the fort is having trouble, spawn goblin" function. You just have bad luck.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 11:13:18 am »

tied to wealth, is that exported wealth? or created?

Yes. Also population.

By default, a population ≈80 will start sieges. I'm not sure about the created/exported wealth numbers.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:21:11 am »

if your using vanilla version of DF and getting bored then might i suggest using a mod. i use "fortress defence mod" but any mod that adds more civs (especially hostile) would make it better, an alternative would be using the orc mod, i heard it make things alot harder

I just made my first fort with the fortress defense mod installed, it's pretty crazy right from the start. Was just what i was looking for.

I'm on year 6 and im lucky as hell when i don't get a siege for a season because i still can't clean all the corpses and body parts, and 4 magma smelters with furnace operators with all other jobs disabled are barely keeping up with melting the stuff they drop.

I'm seeing an average of 2 different races attacking a season, the most has been 3 sieges and maybe three ambushes from a 4th race in a season, i don't quite remember because i get attacked so much. Pretty funny having 150ish invaders on the map, aside from the negative fps i get for the first few minutes.

Edit: 6th year summer has brought 5 sieges so far and there's still a month left, i'm giving up on cleaning up outdoor refuse from now on.

and i'm down. the blue stuff got to my head and made me think i was invincible.

Military went to crap, i could have saved it there, but i couldn't have had a new military up in time for the trap avoid guys next season :/ Also like 20 haulers died lol.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:55:18 pm by Zaik »
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:38:36 am »

I'm pretty sure it's tied to architectural wealth, too.  I get nonstop gobbos whenever I build the fort above ground.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 11:46:11 am »

I'm pretty sure it's tied to architectural wealth, too.  I get nonstop gobbos whenever I build the fort above ground.

That counts toward created wealth.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 12:05:22 pm »

Yeah, the misfortune of having a demonic fortress on the map gave me a legendary Spring 1052 ambush.  The elves showed up with their rope reed cloth, my dwarves showed up with their crafts, and the goblins showed up and killed everyone.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 12:23:02 pm »

EDIT: Wrong topic....
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:32:45 pm by ThrowerOfStones »
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 12:24:26 pm »

Well it can't be tied to wealth alone.  I'm damn industrious, and my forts tend to break the 10mil value mark long before year 4 is over.  I also keep only a token military, so a lack of fleshy defenses is definitely not the cause.  And sieges only ever seem to happen when my Dwarves are struck by sudden waves of unhappiness, which basically never happens unless I purposely start murdering them and/or their pets.  So I'm at a loss here.
Sanity is for the weak.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 12:29:10 pm »

Maybe another factor is,
how strong the goblin civilizations in your world are
and how near your fortress is located to the next goblin outpost.

In my current game my first 3 fortresses were built into a northern mountain range very near to dark goblin towers
and I got regular invasions and ambushes from year 2 on and usually they were very large 

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 12:41:44 pm »

Well it can't be tied to wealth alone.  I'm damn industrious, and my forts tend to break the 10mil value mark long before year 4 is over.  I also keep only a token military, so a lack of fleshy defenses is definitely not the cause.  And sieges only ever seem to happen when my Dwarves are struck by sudden waves of unhappiness, which basically never happens unless I purposely start murdering them and/or their pets.  So I'm at a loss here.
It is also tied to population. As I said before, I don't know the specific values but I know the sieges should ramp up as your population rises.

Now the number and population of goblin civs may play into it as well.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 12:42:59 pm »

Maybe another factor is,
how strong the goblin civilizations in your world are
and how near your fortress is located to the next goblin outpost.

In my current game my first 3 fortresses were built into a northern mountain range very near to dark goblin towers
and I got regular invasions and ambushes from year 2 on and usually they were very large

That would explain Friendlyfire's lack of hostilities towards it, if nothing else.  It's in the puckered sphincter of nowhere, to quote Boatmurdered.  Hell, the caravans are uniformly all 2.5 months late, from all three civs at that!  But that still doesn't explain why I only ever see a siege once I start getting to boredom-driven Dwarf-murdering...

As for population, I doubt that's it.  I've had forts of 150 and forts of 80 where I got bored and started the senseless self-destruction, and the result was uniform: 10 or 20 dead Dwarves later, a siege.
Sanity is for the weak.
Pages: [1] 2