Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Do I need help?  (Read 4182 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Do I need help?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 08:07:26 pm »

tl;dr, but I imagine you should suck it up.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 11:08:39 pm »

tl;dr, but I imagine you should suck it up.
Oh you.
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 08:00:51 am »

Two options here: Gin or bourbon.
18 year old Scotch. It's too expensive (and nice.) Not to savour.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 09:41:09 am »

Thread necromancy? In MY thread?

Memes aside, the problem's still there, but I'm just letting it stand now.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 05:49:22 pm »

I suggest you slow down a bit if possible. To me, it looks like stress, stress, stress. And stress too.
Carve a little time for yourself, even if you have to force you to accept it, and defend it.
or, if that proves impossible, try to just be more relaxed in what you do during the day. When you walk somewhere, do it calmly. If your college has a garden, you may try to study there when the weather is nice. Don't set tight deadlines: you are already 1,5 years ahead, no need to keep racing. quality of education and mental sanity are better than getting out of college 2 years earlier.
If you want to relax and study together, you may want to see if the college has a lab you can use. You could spend more time with experiments, which may help you to find motivation again ( note: no clue what equipment you would need).
I think that you shouldn't drop out of college, but you should slow down a bit, because you arrived at the bottom of your energy reserves. You are piling stress too quickly.

DISCLAIMER: this post comes from someone who exited high school just last year and lives under a school system totally different from you; it comes from a person who doesn't know you; it comes from a person who doesn't know the subject you are studying, the effort it takes, the place where you study, your situation outside school, your friends and basically everything.
I am suggesting what I am suggesting due to my own experiences with stress which basically comes to: "do everything slowly and calmly or brain goes KABOOM at the first hint of stress.". Which doesn't exactly seem what an average person would be like.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 12:31:42 am »

Pretty much what was said in the previous post. Slow down a bit, take it easy.

Personally, I surfed through high school like I was getting paid to do it. Easy A's, little social interaction. College; that feels like work. Not entirely sure what to make of it, but I'm having to learn the 'old habits die hard' part of getting rid of old habits, such as waiting to the absolute last minute to do things (and making up intricate excuses as to why it happened that way). I tried going through a traditional college, but a combination of certain factors led me to... well, lets just say I found a different school after a while. This one definitely keeps me more focused, as it's more fast paced and I can't wander off in a lecture hall of 250 people because I won't be missed.

All I had to do was realize, on some level, I am the awesome I think I see in others, I can do what seems impossible at first (even if it requires procrastination), and there's way too many stupid people out there for me to NOT have a job and NOT be damned good at what I want to do.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 08:29:10 pm »

You need to allocate spare time.

I don't mean free party time, but just that you need time which isn't dedicated in order to handle things better.

That is, assuming all of your time is constantly taken up.
With spare time, you can swap things around, get done what you need to get done,
Nevertheless, you don't say that you are absolutely doing anything with it, untill the time comes.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 11:02:31 am »

Faced the same thing for the last two years. Since you're in a relatively exclusive engineering college too, well, it's the same for many of us. The higher up you go, there more people you see that are smarter than you. You could very well be the top 1% smartest people in the world, but most of your class are the top 0.5% (twice as smart as you) and the ones teaching you are the true geniuses.

I've been in a good school and I've been in one of the top 50 schools in the world. In the good ones, you get to sit around, have fun, make college the best time of your life (because it sucks from then onwards). In the best ones, college will smack you around all day and night. You might work 12 hours a day, but there's someone out there working 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, and getting one grade higher than you. And there's some other genius out there 3 years younger than you who builds solar cars and wins international races and wonders why you need to study more than 5 hours a day.

Let's put it this way.. the students from my previous college have to do a final year project in a group, which they complained took their social lives away. That project was equivalent to a first year elective 6-week assignment. Our final year project is to design a device in half an hour, discuss the protocols in 3.5 hours, and program/assemble it from scratch in 7 days, without full knowledge of the protocols. And then do it again once every 2 weeks. My goddamn honours thesis was based on an 80s MIT PhD thesis, exceeded its results in some ways, is one of the first to do what it did, but only got about a C because it wasn't very throughly written (because I was too busy failing other assignments). Supervisor is giving me a great recommendation, though.

If you want to want a self-esteem boost, just talk to the people doing the same course who are outside your school.

But in the last year, I've applied for only 3 jobs, all multibillion dollar companies. One rejected me, but after a month of considering. Another turned me down at the last minute because I didn't have the experience to be consulting, but kept my details for future openings. The last one is still considering me, even flew 4000 miles to interview me, and were very enthusiastic. Another company I didn't even apply for approached me out of nowhere with a lucrative offer, but poor working conditions. And I'm still a year away from graduation.

So, point is, just keep up at it. It's going to be a long, hard slog but keep your eyes on the light at the end of the tunnel. While everyone else's enjoying college, you'll be enjoying life after college. If that's not convincing enough, check and see how well it pays off.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 12:02:01 am »

Grakelin's advice was actually most useful here. I meditated/reassociated/messed with my head until the emotional part of my brain went dormant, and now I'm just doing work and waiting to die; nothing matters to me anymore. Constant wracking pain successfully replaced with numbness. As whiny as that sounds...it's peaceful. I can finally admit that everyone who ever told me I'd never amount to anything is/was perfectly right, and it doesn't bother me. Nothing's bothersome now; the world can keep being stupid and shortsighted and evil and wrong all it likes, people can die of eminently curable diseases all day long, I can keep doing things I'd ordinarily hate myself for doing (like being lazy) and none of it peeves me.

Incidentally, Muz...I've an IQ of 180 if the last test's still accurate; the proportions of smarter/dumber get a little skewed. Also no one in my field makes any significant amount of money. Life would've sucked out of college anyway.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 12:37:10 am »

Sadly, the so called IQ, being high as you claim, doesn't a smart man make.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 09:55:47 am »

Quite so. It will, however, offer you a false sense of security like nothing else.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:29:54 am by Trekkin »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 12:13:47 am »

Glad I could be of service.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 01:42:27 pm »

I guess it's up to everyone to find their own limits. Everyone reaches that "OMG, I suck" point at some time in their life. You'll probably rethink it a bit later, just like everyone rethinks after a hard break up and stuff. It's part of growing up. There's a limit to how far people can save or destroy the world, you'll eventually settle at yours.

You'll mellow out to the pain now, but sometime in the future, you'll miss it. Life gets bland without a little pain. After all, losing is fun. But till then, enjoy your peace.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 12:42:29 am »

Bull. Keep trying. Ignore defeatist prattle.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 12:46:09 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Carl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 05:15:40 am »

Something similar happend to me the past two years and I ended up losing friends,hope,happiness and the college put me out.
It was not because workload ,but because of a  genetic mental disorder that I have, that 'matured' as I grew older the one in particular being, Bi-polar type 4 meaning that instead of having high happy moods mixed with very low down moods,I just had a constant low.
The only thing that realy helped was God,games,friends,food and family.
I'm stable now thanks to a cotail of drugs other people call happy pills,but they help a lot.Still recovering somewhat.
I believe everyone will hit a pit like yours once in their lifetime,so don't worry thinking everyone else is happy and you are not,their [!] will come (no fortress lasts forever).
You just realised life is more complicated than it seems and one has to fight for their happiness and joy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4