Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Do I need help?  (Read 4175 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do I need help?
« on: September 11, 2010, 05:57:39 am »

Part of me can't believe I'm doing this, but bay12 forum-goers tend to be rather enlightened people, so here goes my tale of woe:

When I was in HS, I was one guy away from the top of my class and spent all my time doing things that most people would consider rather constructive, and perhaps as a consequence of this I had rather big dreams. I loved genetics, and with stars in my eyes planned on going to college, majoring in bioinformatics, getting a doctorate, and spending the rest of my life working out a genetic cure to either a LOT of diseases or just human mortality in general. Was an incredible nerd (I founded our robotics club), had a nice if standoffish girlfriend, and my weight/lack of muscle problem didn't really bother me.

Fast-forward to what was described to me as a relatively exclusive engineering college (I know you can easily pull my IP but I'd rather maintain a veneer of anonymity). I don't get a freshman year; I get enough AP credits to land directly in the Ochem-enriched sophomore portion of my tracking course. I get a new girlfriend (last one and I decided college was a good time to break it off), this one much more visibly enthusiastic about being together, although much of that energy was pointless as we were at two different colleges. The classes prove hard to the point of near-impossibility, I lose a great deal of sleep, and I just...change. I lost something walking away from Ochem final and getting on the plane home, perhaps best described as a combination of vim and ambition. I'm still in the same school, albeit with a 2.9 GPA, and I'm still a year and a half ahead of where I should be, but...I'm not happy like I used to be. I don't do anything but my classes and studying, and those are spent consumed with anxiety; perhaps THAT was the fact that will lose me points on the next test, or was it THAT? I get emails distributed to the college entitled "for top students" and delete them without reading them. My girlfriend left me, saying she didn't want to feel guilty about cheating on me anymore (reasonable in hindsight); getting another girlfriend has never even crossed my mind as feasible. My friends are all saying how great and wonderful college is, and the last time anyone asked me about it I described it as hell made worse by the possibility of having to leave. I'm just operating by rote now, doing what my professors say and registering for things my tracking course says I should. I don't have any dreams or plans beyond college and possibly grad school.

I just feel so...second-rate now, like everyone else is going to do much better than I (and they have) for a variety of factors all related to my personal flaws. I'm not good enough at interpersonal skills to woo the right people and get ahead in academia, I'm not neurotically smart enough to wind up exploited by the pharmaceutical industry (despite my lack of morals. somewhere along the way I became some sort of nihilist), and on a more personal level I'm not attractive enough to get a girlfriend-- petty, yes, but I liked having someone who genuinely appreciated it when I tried to make them happy. I read satire about nerds and identify with it. I don't even go see my(few) friends anymore; their achievements irritate me and their merriment burns. My parents have advised me that any more of this ridiculous bull(edit)--their words-- will result in my removal from college, and that unless I grow up I'm never going to have a career. So here I am, asking people I can stand to ask:

How do I fix me?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 06:06:24 am by Trekkin »

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do I need help?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 07:18:22 am »

You don't.

Shut up, complete college without failing any classes, brood, and develop a disease to wipe out humanity.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 07:35:27 am »

-edit-
Pardon, wrong thread.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 07:43:04 am »

Sounds like a mild case of burnout. I prescribe distractions (hobbies of any kind work best), but not to the point where you start neglecting your education.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 09:22:33 am »

Can you slow down the college work? It sounds like you are biting off more than you can chew. I tried to do too much in college, so now I'm working to get back in a new one. Pace yourself.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 10:02:39 am »

My suggestion is to start doing something physical. Running/lifting helped me to get over my depression. Plus you'll be much healthier/more attractive to the ladies. Furthermore looking healthier will give a better first impression, which helps alot when meeting people.

I also used to be really shy and awkward before my last couple of years of high-school. Becoming more outgoing/personable isn't an easy or short process, but it is an important one. If you're at college there will be a lot of people you could try talking to. If you start a good conversation that's a win-win for you. If you don't it doesn't matter much, because there are so many people you will probably never have to deal with them again.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 10:27:36 am »

Or, you could just let it all go. Drop out of the college. Stop caring about career, what your parents think about you, what you think about yourself, stop being bothered by your slowly eroding dignity and don't listen to your hurt pride.
Get a job at a grocery store, or a gas station, do nothing constructive at all, maybe start smoking if you don't, and just enjoy living according to your nihilistic worldview.
One day, when you'll suddenly feel that you're wasting your life, you might try to get back to college. Of course, by then, you'll have no money to pay for the tuition, your parents will have long ago given up on you, and your mind will no longer be flexible enough to grasp the required knowledge.
That's when you'll realise that you've become a nobody, and you're destined to live the rest of your life this way. You'll look around, and notice that most of the world is just like yourself. You'll find comfort in that, and accept your mediocrity.

Am I helping? I might be not helping.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 12:37:30 pm »

Sounds like a mild case of burnout. I prescribe distractions (hobbies of any kind work best), but not to the point where you start neglecting your education.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Burnout's pretty common, and if you're 1,5 year ahead of everyone else then of course you're going to burn out.

Personally, I play music whenever I can to keep my morale afloat. I know others do various sports, feats of athleticism or martial arts. Just have something on the side that you genuinely enjoy doing that allows you to slack off.
And spend time with your friends, that helps a bunch too. Being locked up doing nothing but work all day is undoubtedly going to end up with you depressed to hell and back.

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 01:01:14 pm »

If I remember, then Burnout is a spiritual illnes. Some spiritual remedy is called for.
We found the zirilid stream

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 01:19:27 pm »

You sound very much like me, to be honest.  I wound up withdrawing from college due to severe burnout about 5 months ago, and I've got to admit that it's probably the best decision I made in my life.  Of course, this is just an extended vacation, not real dropping out... but it might do you some good, too.  I understand that your instinct is to hold on rather than letting go, but that's probably the opposite of what you should actually be doing.  Let go.  Relax.  Spend some time figuring out what you need.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 01:46:09 pm »

I think you should look at all these classes that you're planning to take, and then look at what you would do after you got out of college. If you honestly don't think that you're gonna end up in some lab researching all these diseases, you should probably do something else.

But if it seems likely, I think you should stick with this. It sounds like it's your dream, dude. Things will get better.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 02:51:50 pm »

Everyone gets doubts sooner or later. Jumping ship because of those doubts is not a necessarily good idea.
Maybe you should ask yourself some questions: Do you recall why you started that study path? And if you do, is that reason still true? If you don't, have you lost the taste for what you are studying? Do you have anything else in mind you might like?

As for "mediocrity and nonmediocrity", don't become too obsessed. Unless those worries help you study more, I guess. What I mean is that there's life beyond university, and you should focus on your problems one at a time.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 07:06:39 pm »

Il Palazzo- I didn't know you went on bay12, dad! (Kidding, but you basically quoted him verbatim. lol)

ChairmanPoo- vividly, still true if i can actually accomplish it. Perhaps there are some stars in my eyes left after all. It's just an adjustment going from thinking "I want to be the next Norman Borlaug" to "I want to help do some of the same kind of work"

Everyone who says it's burnout- you're probably right, but for financial aid reasons the nose must remain to the grindstone. Unfortunately, distractions of any kind usually result in my going "why the heck did I do that when I could have been studying?" and getting even more stressed out.

And thanks, everyone. I think I'll go for a run; campus is beautiful at night.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 07:16:41 pm »

Two options here: Gin or bourbon.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 08:03:10 pm »

Two options here: Gin or bourbon.

Option Three: intense dislike of drug use, including alcohol, by me, however permissive of it I am in other people. Which is, I suppose, a good thing, otherwise I'd have OD'ed on the products of amateur pharmacology by now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4