Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: catapult loaders often pick up the farthest stone availa  (Read 1852 times)

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
catapult loaders often pick up the farthest stone availa
« on: March 09, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

Catapult loaders prefer to walk all over the map to pick up a boulder of schist instead of picking up other stone just next to it.

EDIT:
They tend to pick up latest dug out stone, but not always

[ March 09, 2008: Message edited by: aha ]

tail -f -n 10 df_27_176_38a/gamelog.txt

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: catapult loaders often pick up the farthest stone availa
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure the majority of stone jobs (i.e., masonry, stonecrafts and catapults) use a/the most recent stone. This often leads to thoroughly stupid behavior, such as trekking across two thirds of the map for catapult ammo, or building those masterwork out of granite from the deep mines when there's megatons of obsidian all over the (older) living quarters.

This may be related to miners walking thirty-some tiles to get to the other side of a tile to be mined that they're standing next to, which should also be fixed.

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 01:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by grelphy:
<STRONG>I'm pretty sure the majority of stone jobs (i.e., masonry, stonecrafts and catapults) use a/the most recent stone. This often leads to thoroughly stupid behavior, such as trekking across two thirds of the map for catapult ammo, or building those masterwork out of granite from the deep mines when there's megatons of obsidian all over the (older) living quarters.</STRONG>

Nope.

Also, is the stone your catapult's being loaded from below the catapult?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »

Well it's always not the case. They usually do pick up the nearest stone but sometimes they walk far away to pick up some.

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 02:02:00 pm »

Take a look at the movie - as you can see - they pick up stone from far tunnels.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-409-catapultloaderswalkingtotheedge

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by aha:
<STRONG>Take a look at the movie - as you can see - they pick up stone from far tunnels.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-409-catapultloaderswalkingtotheedge</STRONG>

I cant put a real explanation on that, except that someone's reported a similar phenomenon with dwarves picking up far away stone for no reason to make something.

Sounds like you should take care of those demons, as well.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »

Not to mention I didn't see where they're going.  You said Schist, yet you never showed where the schist was.

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

Demons have been dealt with with huge losses of dwarven life due to criminal negligence on my part. Movie does not show schist but shows them picking the farthest stone from the catapults (sometimes). They also tend to prefer schist. I'll record another one for that.

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 03:18:00 pm »

Hmm. Had another look at the schist thingy. It seems that this was the last part that was dug out. So it seems that they do tend to pick up latest stone available.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

Are you sure they're not just going for the "nearest" stone, counting only x + y and disregarding both a and path length?  The only place I've seen dwarves actually go for recently-dug stone is in filling stockpiles; when grabbing stone for use they seem to use the x+y heuristic.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 12:57:00 pm »

How many stones are in your fortress compared to dwarves, and do you have a stone stockpile?  If you had, oh, 100 dwarves, and something like 200 stones, then I'd be very suspicious.  The least recent 100 stones are likely to be marked for hauling.

I've seen that be a viable explanation in the past, but it may not (probably won't?) explain your situation..

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>Are you sure they're not just going for the "nearest" stone, counting only x + y and disregarding both z and path length?  The only place I've seen dwarves actually go for recently-dug stone is in filling stockpiles; when grabbing stone for use they seem to use the x+y heuristic.</STRONG>

Z, not a, but chalk it up to typo.  But this is why I wanted to see where the schist was.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 02:13:00 pm »

You can put a small stone stockpile next to your catapaults.  If you then turn off stone hauling for your siege engineer, he will load the catapaults with the stockpiled stone while some peasant shlubs fill up the stockpile for him.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 02:38:00 pm »

I have around 200 dwarves and 68K of stone lying around.

I don't want peasants to haul stones to stockpile. Catapults are my training machines.

If you take a closer look at the movie, you see lots of stone lying around catapults and cleared out further tunnels, that are far from catapults.

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by aha:
<STRONG>I have around 200 dwarves and 68K of stone lying around.

I don't want peasants to haul stones to stockpile. Catapults are my training machines.

If you take a closer look at the movie, you see lots of stone lying around catapults and cleared out further tunnels, that are far from catapults.</STRONG>

I'm pretty sure this bug was addressed a few releases back, and was addressed well.

Stones near your catapults might be designated for jobs from other dorfs. As previously mentioned, the dorfs may be selecting stones closest to the catapult if a straight line was drawn from the catapult to the stone, but the path to it might be extremely long and windy.

Also, not sure why you wouldn't want to just make the stockpile. You'd be saving your siege operators a lot of walking time and train them faster.

火族
Pages: [1] 2