Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hospitial Help  (Read 1791 times)

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hospitial Help
« on: September 11, 2010, 02:11:06 am »

I'm new to the whole new doctor thing. So right now I have an injured dwarf in the hospital who got some help, but I have another dwarf who laying in bed in the civilian housing district.

My question is how can i get my chief doctor to get him a diagnostics even when the doc has only the doctor labors active? Also my nurses seem to be completely useless :<

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hospitial Help
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 02:18:24 am »

Determine which of your Dwarves has the best diagnosis skill and make sure that it is enabled.
The system works, but sometimes very tardy. I have had patients waiting for months for a proper diagnosis.

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 02:24:36 am »

Just as you posted I finally saw my doctor (who as I said has all the doctor labors enabled) go and diagnose the dude. The tardyness is a bit troublesome, but least it happened :)

and another question, They don't "move" the dwarfs to the designated hospital do they? They just treat whoever needs it whatever hole they crawled into?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 02:29:29 am »

Somehow all wounded made it to my hospital, I don't know how.

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 02:30:57 am »

>.> magic? Epic wonderful dwarven magic. Magic that involves MAGMA.

:P thanks for the help!

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 05:38:33 am »

Presuming you have beds in the hospital zone, they do need the wounded to get to the hospital before being diagnosed/treated.  For the more minor injuries, the dwarves usually (try) to move themselves, but the old "Recover Wounded" job still usually appears eventually, causing someone to run out and haul the wounded dwarf to a hospital bed.  As far as I can tell, they won't diagnose or treat a dwarf not in a hospital zone (they will bring food/drink to dwarves outside of the hospital however, as is often demonstrated with the military).

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 06:56:12 am »

It doesn't have to be the chief medical dwarf that does the diagnosis either, I have the diagnosis labour turned on with several skilled migrants who've turned up and they have diagnosed patients in some cases according to the personal health screen for each dwarf.

I've no idea what difference the skill level makes though, sometimes after getting treated dwarves are in extreme pain but it usually seems to go pretty quickly.  Usually notice it after people are sutured which understandably could be a bit painful if done by a complete novice.

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 07:02:00 am »

Four times so far I've had dwarves who got left in one spot for years without treatment. They didn't starve or anything. They did spam me with rest cancellations. I think if the creature that beats them isn't killed or removed from the screen they never flag themselves as out of combat.

I find that building a cage trap under them, then building said cage in the hospital and unassigning them from the cage works to get them to the hospital.
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 07:02:43 am »

Interestingly, most injuries seem to at least stop being life threatening once the dwarf is on a hospital bed. I've had dwarves with more than one limb missing and multiple cuts to the torso live for a couple months on a hospital bed before ever being treated, and there weren't pools of blood everywhere.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 09:33:06 am »

Interestingly, most injuries seem to at least stop being life threatening once the dwarf is on a hospital bed. I've had dwarves with more than one limb missing and multiple cuts to the torso live for a couple months on a hospital bed before ever being treated, and there weren't pools of blood everywhere.

Dunno, I think bleeds just either stop on their own or don't.

Though i've never seen anyone go into the hospital bleeding before. Generally if it's that bad they just pass out.

Though on the other hand, i did have a manager/bookeeper lay in a hospital bed for 8 years with all sorts of nasty infection because i forgot to check for crossbow bolts and unforbid them and he seemed to be like on life support or something. He kept the stockpile records up to date all the time from the hospital and had no other use beyond that, so i left him there.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 10:30:42 am »

Dunno, I think bleeds just either stop on their own or don't.

Though i've never seen anyone go into the hospital bleeding before. Generally if it's that bad they just pass out.
My experience as well. I've seen a dwarf get completely disemboweled, make it to the hospital, get patched up and live just fine. I've also seen a dwarf get a finger chopped off, go to the hospital, get diagonosed, leave without treatment to go to archery practice (presumably the doc said "Dwarf up, you pussy. It's just a finger.") and then die of blood loss a month or so later.

That said, aside from the dwarf who lost a finger mentioned above I've only seen one other dwarf make it to the hospital and then die. Every other dwarf who made it to the hospital ended up living, including the mason who was horribly mangled by a goblin snatcher and then spent 6 years waiting on treatment. Generally speaking, if it's truly lethal the dwarf won't make it to the hospital, and nobody ever performs "Recover Wounded" on them even if standing around with their thumbs up their asses; if you want treatment, you gotta provide your own transportation.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 10:37:59 am »

The Armok Healthcare Plan. He's not called the God of Blood for nothing!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 08:15:02 pm »

I've had ample dwarves die in my hospital.  In the early 31.x versions, it was usually from lack of people getting to them in time, or from infections.  In 31.10, it was generally during treatment, usually dwarves that had been sutured but not dressed.  They were generally dwarves that seemed to be having blood loss issues (ie were faint early on, then went to pale, and might've bounced around between the two some while in the hospital).  One 31.10 fort's hospital was also a mess with contaminants - bad positioning of my wells meant that my hospital was perpetually coated in dozens of different kinds of blood, which I suspect was part of the high mortality rate of that particular hospital.  In 31.12, I've been amazed at the survivability of hospital dwarves, with only one death so far - and it was a quick, early death, before even getting diagnosed, so probably not much chance of living anyway.

reborninthefortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 11:45:24 pm »

At the moment I have a handless militia commander going about his training without any apparent bleeding or having had any treatment at all. Earlier I had a dwarf lose a finger, then have his diagnosis interrupted and do the same until he succumbed to infection. I guess as the diagnosis had started but referred him to treatment, he was marked as 'not requiring treatment' but already having had been diagnosed. At the moment I have a soldier with a broken leg waiting for a cast, the bone setter brings him the cloth and plaster, and then stands next to the water source with a bucket for a few hours, until he is thirsty and tired and 'needs a break'. This just repeats, I've never tried using casts before, so not sure if it's bugged or he's just an idiot.

Hospital works sometimes, sometimes not.
'I have enough barrels!'

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 05:23:59 am »

The cast bit is a bug - they'll never successfully fill a bucket with water to make the cast.  The only way for casts to succeed is for the doctor to get the 'go fill a bucket with water' part of the task, grab a bucket, and have that bucket *already* have water in it.  One way to make this happen is to designate a pond to be filled somewhere.  When you see the dwarf run off to the water source (ideally the same one as the doc went to), forbid the pond-filler's bucket after it has some water in it.  After it's been dropped, unforbid it, and forbid the cast-doctor's bucket.  The should then pick the 'closest' available bucket to try again, which will hopefully be your former pond-filler's bucket.

Dwarves seem to heal to a degree on their own, and this can cause conflicts with doctoring.  If the dwarf heals enough to think they can work again, and gets 'disturbed' by anything, they seem to cancel their rest and go about their duties, regardless of their actual medical state.  Sometimes this just means you've got red + blinking dwarves running around successfully for years, other times its suicide, with the dwarf dying of their injuries or from infection in time.  It seems to have been the fix to the previous "infinite suture/dress" bug, where if the wound was diagnosed as needing treatment, but healed before the treatment was applied, the treatment would go on indefinitely.  So it's an improvement, but still less than ideal.
Pages: [1] 2