Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Farms  (Read 986 times)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
Farms
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:21:04 am »

this is because of an argument with a friend: Is getting 6 8x8 farm plots down before the second migrant wave too much food/booze production? He thinks so, I think not.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Farms
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 12:23:31 am »

Better question: is there such a thing as too much food/booze production? You'll never starve, and digging new stockpiles gives your miners something to do. Plus, you can sell the excess.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 12:28:32 am »

yeah...what i want to know is how to get my farmers to produce enough booze for 93 dwarves...they seem to neglect growing booze crops in favor of babying the quarry bush plot.... ::)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 12:30:37 am »

6 8x8 farm plots will probably provide more food than a 200-dwarf fortress can consume. Not to mention, I doubt you can even utilize all those plots without dedicating all your dwarves to farming. Your friend is right, that's way over the top.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 12:33:28 am »

Here we go:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65191.0

The initial post overestimates the amount needed. Legendary farmers + one 10x10 plot can feed 200 dwarves.

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 12:35:50 am »

this is because of an argument with a friend: Is getting 6 8x8 farm plots down before the second migrant wave too much food/booze production? He thinks so, I think not.

Before: Your friend is right
After(perhaps a bit more after): You're right

having 2 8x8 plots can clear you well after the 2nd migrant wave. In my own novice opinion, I would suggest starting with 2 8x8, then add 1 8x8 after each wave until you hit 6...

On a side note: there is NEVER such thing as "Too much booze". You're not thinking very dwarf like.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 12:50:02 am »

Before: Your friend is right
After(perhaps a bit more after): You're right

Only if he wants tons of excess. 6 8x8 can feed multiple forts of 200.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 12:53:49 am »

or if you use each plot for specific crops (i have one quarcaine plot, two sugar pod plots, a rope reed plot, the pods double as wheat in the fall, a longland plot, and everything underground is ph in the winter.)  but i always make plots as large as possible (usually a 10x10) just because it is easy.  my farmers never seem to plant enough crops or harvest the crops in them :(  how many farmers should I have for the equivalent of 500 farm squares?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 01:20:17 am »

I've never had any trouble if I start with dwarf maxed in farming(fields) at embark adn lay down a 5x5 or two.

The number and size you are talking about is certainly overkill in terms of what one dedicated dwarf can effectively keep planted, and you won't have enough seeds to keep them planted until several cycles of growth and eating have occurred. Until you have 3-4 skilled dwarfs to do the planting and the hundreds of seeds to plant in the plots, it's not going to be useful.

OTOH, it only costs you the effort of digging out the space and watering it, so just because it's way over-kill doesn't mean it's a bad idea.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 02:00:11 am »

on another note, why can you dig and build underground structures right at the edge, but not above ground? Cannot get my defense systems set up properly now
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 02:22:45 am »

probably because if you could build right at the edge on the surface you could surround yourself with a wall that automagically prevented caravans, migrants, invaders, thieves, etcetera...

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 12:07:58 pm »

Best thing i ever did was cutting down from having everyone farm giant farm plots to having 4-5 dwarves farm several tiny 3x3 to 5x5 plots i can turn on/off as needed to adjust farming.

4 growers with farmers only harvest on can easily support more dwarves than my computer can handle to begin with, assuming i put the seed stockpile right next to the farms, which you'd have to be crazy not to. I'll throw in a 5th if they seem to be having trouble harvesting it all once i crank up the non-food plant production.

Make sure the 4-5 have all hauling/feeding turned off. Also don't start with 5, ease one in every or every other migrant wave.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 12:21:57 pm »

Me, I always make my plots 1x3, with a different crop per plot.  It works really well; the Dwarves will focus more or less equally on all crop types, and since they're prompt about planting and harvesting such small areas, you get a really efficient production chain going.  A single 1x3 of every alcohol-producing underground crop can keep a fort of 50 going indefinitely.  Toss in a 1x3 apiece of the aboveground booze crops too, and you can keep a fort of 150 going indefinitely.
Sanity is for the weak.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 12:37:49 pm »

I use 4 5x5 plots and rarely get them up before the 2nd year.  I use plant gathering as my sole means of food until I get my underground farms going and it works extremely well.  It helps that I prefer to embark on flat areas with thick vegetation and lots of trees.  Among my first tasks is to get a couple dwarves collecting plants while the rest deforest the map and build a curtain wall around the entire embark save one 3 wide defensible entrance.  The wall makes sure that I can continue to periodically harvest all the plants on the map in relative safety.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 02:49:28 pm »

Wow...
I usually havenīt any significant number of farms before the end of the 2nd year ( before that I supply my fortress purely with the stuff from trading caravans)
and even when I have a full >200 dwarves fortress, it normally hasnīt more than 6-8 3*3 plots (usually with less than half of them active during each season)
Pages: [1] 2