Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legendary Child  (Read 2016 times)

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legendary Child
« on: September 10, 2010, 11:41:03 pm »

So while I'm planning my fortress out all decorative like and after slaughtering a few harassing cave Douc--Monsters, One of my children decided to seclude them self from society (The "secretive" fey mood). So he goes along and takes siege of my crafts-dwarf building (wasn't using it anyways). So he goes along and grabs something from my giant storage cave, and starts building Armok knows what.

Then BAM all of the sudden he makes a sweet legendary artifact and becomes a legendary craft's dwarf, and he hasn't matured yet!

Feast your eyes upon the lulz!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I dunno if this is some sort of witty bug, or this kid in my world is completely psychotic (and a genius)

Anyone have any similar experiences?

P.S Bonus for me, I don't haft to train a craft-dwarf now! until the kid grows up...

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Child
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:46:25 pm »

Yeah, this happens from time to time. Unfortunately, your fortress will probably fall to spoilers long before they mature.

Anyone ever had this happen to a baby, by chance? Is it possible? Can we force it with Runesmith?

Zenatsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 11:50:45 pm »

If a baby would become a legendary craft-whatever.

I'd put that bitch to work! And yes, in my fortress I support Child labor. Only thing holding me back is "A child dose as he pleases"

my fucking dwarven manure they do. If they can carry an item, pick, or weapon they can bet I'll put em to work! Damn free loaders...

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:51:56 pm »

Took down a constructed wall today, and it was a 1 year old child that turned up and did it.  Was a reasonable mason by that stage.

Ran out to play tag with a troll invasion later, though, so no idea if kids can grow up...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 01:18:13 am »

It seems to be quite common.
I had at least two children making artifacts ;), I have read about a baby recently somewhere in the forum.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 04:26:50 am »

Yep, happens from moods.  Don't think I've ever seen a dwarven *baby* get a mood before though.  I think that usually you'll also see most kids' social skills get up around legendary-ish by the time they mature, since all they do is mill about and throw parties.

Useless little skunks until they're 12, but what (short of modding) are ya gonna do?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 04:42:09 am »

They can grow up. The age is even controlled in the raws.
As per wiki: Baby for 1 year, child until 12.
So keep your fort going for another 12 years (or 12-however many it's been since s/he was born) and that child will grow up.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 05:49:36 am »

Since children won't have skill in any mood-able professions, they'll always get one of the craft workshop profession's moods - either Bone Carving, Wood Crafting, or Stone Crafting.  Since you're liable to wind up with plenty of legendary bone/wood/stone crafters anyway (either through adults without mood-able profs, or from a plethora of children, or the old-fashioned way by just making so many of the products), having a mooded child always seems like an unfortunate thing to me - but one that happens a lot :(

At least in 40d they got super-stats from it, which made them more immediately useful upon reaching adulthood - or at least, better able to dodge arrows and goblins to give them more of a chance of /getting/ to adulthood.  With 31.x stats not seeming to be earned as easily, the legendary kids no longer even get insta-strong/fast/durable, either :/

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 07:17:33 am »

In my last fortress I had 3 legendary kids,
all from the same family (3 of the 8 children the parents had)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 08:35:52 am »

They can grow up. The age is even controlled in the raws.
As per wiki: Baby for 1 year, child until 12.
So keep your fort going for another 12 years (or 12-however many it's been since s/he was born) and that child will grow up.

Ehh, as I've understood it, children grow up faster if you make them toys to play with. Not to mention they learn useful skills in the process.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 08:39:12 am »

This is "Dwarf Fortress", not "The Sims 2" :D

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 08:40:58 am »

He's right, as long as toy are gobs, shields and hammer. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 09:05:57 am »

The stats thing has been re-added in the latest patch and I've got some mighty kids walking around.

Also, [CHILD:9].

You mean: [CHILD:20] and [JUVENILE:40]. We are talking about dwarves, here, remember?
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 01:20:10 am »

He's right, as long as toy are gobs, shields and hammer. :p
I once tried to make a legendary child by dropping crippled gobbos into his room for him to wrestle.  It was harder than I thought.  If the room was too big, he'd run around and eventually starve.  If the room was too small, the gobbo might land on him and not get injured enough for a three year old to eye-gouge to death. 

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 01:25:57 pm »

What about crippling the goblin first (Using upright spears) and then send him into the room?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: [1] 2