Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting back into DF....  (Read 905 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting back into DF....
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 12:01:14 pm »

If you give a lot of your migrants that just show up with near-useless farming skills or furnace operating the same selection of all the farming skills ('cept tanning) you can get things like herb harvesting done quite fast. Then brew em and if you're not going to farm above ground you can just cook the seeds.

Skilling up to legendary farming just doesn't do as much as enabling those labors on twelve dwarves. I don't usually have any trouble growing my number of seeds up either way with even just little 3x3 fields for each crop I'm growing.

-

For embark have 2+ miners, probably a carpenter, mason, and some with those food labors until you get a larger group. For a doctor just give 2 points in each of those skills. The rest can be whatever you want to do or don't want to turn on right when you start. You can change the number of embark points in world gen now so you can spend a bunch of time being efficient with the default number or just crank it up to get more crap out of it.

-

Once you figure out the new military orders stuff make sure you noticed the minimum number for a task option. If you dial this down to one lower than the squad number somebody can go off to sleep or eat while the rest do the task. This matters if you're going to have year round training.
Training itself has a little quirk worth mentioning: they only really do one thing at a time. So one pair spar or maybe the leader does a demonstration and has to wait for everyone else to show up. For this reason 10 dwarf squads train unreasonably slowly while 3 dwarf squads probably train faster than you were used to. They still do the demonstrations if there's just one person to give it and one to watch so anybody with a good level in some skill will spread it to the others fast.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 [2]