Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Troll Architect  (Read 3807 times)

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Troll Architect
« on: September 10, 2010, 11:26:33 pm »

I had upgraded to 3.12 recently, and hadn't seen an invaders.  I wondered if I had them turned off, but right after I checked, I got sedge.   Gobbos riding rats and elk bird and stuff.  However, there was a third group, made up of trolls, including a troll woodcutter, gem cutter, and Architect.  Is this something new?

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Re: Troll Architect
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:30:41 pm »

Are you using any mods? Trolls aren't a civ in vanilla, to my knowledge.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 11:35:19 pm »

Them having professions is perfectly normal

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:52:23 pm »

IIRC, trolls are both pets and intelligent, so they can have professions.

A troll architect must have a lot of internal conflict. "Must smash building! But... those arches..."

Later, he gets taken by a strange mood and constructs DF's first siege tower.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 02:18:06 am »

They just find your architecture inferior to what should be the global norm, but unfortunately dwarves ability to discuss with trolls only extends as far as bolts to the face, sharp things to the gut and traps all over the place.

You'd be angry enough too to smash up those buildings instead.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 02:34:34 am »

"Your architectural aesthetics are completely sub-standard to the norms of civilized society!  Therefore I am forced to RIP THEM STONE FROM STONE AND BEAT YOU TO DEATH WITH THEM!   Yeeeeaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!"    -- Aghbrel, Troll Architect, when visiting the Dwarven Mountainhome and being shown the highlights of the city.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 05:09:28 am »

"dese gargoyles taken from limulurist in siege few years ago. thog designed tower to honor conquering goblin warlord. he pay good."

"I... see. And is this perhaps an art-deco style sculpture? It's very... unique."

"tower also execution drop. don't touch spikes, they pointy."
くコ:彡

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 06:05:54 am »

"Your architectural aesthetics are completely sub-standard to the norms of civilized society!  Therefore I am forced to RIP THEM STONE FROM STONE AND BEAT YOU TO DEATH WITH THEM!   Yeeeeaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!"    -- Aghbrel, Troll Architect, when visiting the Dwarven Mountainhome and being shown the highlights of the city.

"The troll is depicted smashing the talc block bridge, he is crying. The image related to the destruction of the talc bridge by the Troll Architect in 1055"

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 06:21:12 am »

It is obvious, trolls have simply evolved, until they got buildings defying whatever even dwarven masterminds can make, and now are using their innate strength to destroy it because it's subpar. For example, they can create obsidian from nothing (as seen with the huge goblin towers in middle of a desert), while we have to mix water and magma.

I wonder if I said anything that wasn't in this thread. I honestly don't care.

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 11:22:49 am »

Can't figure out how to upload an image, probably has to be stored somewhere else on the internet.

Only mod I was running was dwarf therapist.  The trolls did seem not to like my architecture, as they destroy my fishcleaning stand and then got covered in turtle shells.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 12:35:51 pm »

To divert from the madness for a moment: trolls often accompany goblin sieges as semi-sentient building destroyers, and usually have a variety of amusing professions.  My last siege brought with it an entire troll medical team, including diagnoser, surgeon and suturer.  They're pets of the goblins besieging you, and yes, it's perfectly normal.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 01:27:29 pm »

Oh, now there's a image for you ...

"Gragshosh, take Thorgbarb to the churgeon!"
Looking nervously at the Troll medical team, "Uh ... are you sure?"
"Yeah, why?"
"Well ... I don't think they've eaten this month ..."
"Bah!  They'll either fix him, or fix him but good!  Its not like I care if he lives or dies!"
Shuddering, Gragshosh starts dragging the wounded Thrgbarb towards the trolls ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 01:36:26 pm »

To divert from the madness for a moment: trolls often accompany goblin sieges as semi-sentient building destroyers, and usually have a variety of amusing professions.  My last siege brought with it an entire troll medical team, including diagnoser, surgeon and suturer.  They're pets of the goblins besieging you, and yes, it's perfectly normal.
PARAMEDIC TEAM GO!
Troll:Uhhm. . . Deerrp. . .
*dead*
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 02:29:52 pm »

troll medical team
Oh armok that is the best mental image ever.

'Oh hey you trolls, your the medical staff, do something about all these ingered golbins, they keep walking straihg into obvoius traps'
'Problem, Goblin Leader?'
'I just told you what the problem is. Why arn't you going out and doing your jobs?'
'I'm carrying this vital piece of resource back to the tower. Steve here is on break. I don't know what Guss is doing over there, but my educated guess is that he is slowly punching a puppy's left eyebrow to death.'
'But your carrying a sock! that isn't even close to valuble, It's made of cheap cloth and doesn't mence with spikes of silk!'
'Never the less, it is a vital piece of equipment that I must go and store in our nearest stockpile, as I have been trained to do.'
'But the Tower's several miles away!'
'Indeed. It is, regretably, a long, long way away. That is why I shall steal this pony that is far too small for my body weight and ride it back to the tower to deliver this item of tremendous worth.'
'But who's going to take care of the ingured if your all going off?'
'Well, Ben is currently not doing anything, or so he claims. Good look trying to get him to do anything, though - It looks like he is amazed and entertained by that cat in the middle of the feild which Is spontaniously combusting over and over again, and keeps burning. It is fortunate that Ben may catch fire if he tries to touch, which, as he is an uninteligent and very Obvious Troll, I have great hopes that he will and may be severaly dissapointed if I catch wind that he grew a few IQ points and didn't die horribly. Good day to you, Goblin Master. I am now leaving.'
'FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU-'

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 05:10:00 pm »

Well that's all the better kill you with. Knowing how a dwarf is put together helps in taking them appart.

Example:

Urist: ARRRRRGGGHHHH

Troll: Stay still me am trained doctor.

Urist: Ahhh-haha that hurts!

Troll: You have dislocated arm.

Urist: You mean shoulder right?

Troll: No, arm. I removed it myself.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode
Pages: [1] 2