Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: A friend might have joined a cult.  (Read 11369 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: A friend might have joined a cult.
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2010, 01:28:21 pm »

This is not getting drunk and acting douche-like or gambling away his rent money.  This is making a life decision and being vocal about it.  Just because you find it irrational doesn't mean his choice is wrong.
Shoes...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2010, 01:28:44 pm »

I think there's a lot of insane overreaction in here. We don't know that dude is in a cult, and he probably isn't anyway. Just some crazy over the top Christians.

Maybe he should get 'LOVE' and 'HATE' tattooed on his knuckles, so he can be like that suave preacher dude from Night of the Hunter, and impress old ladies with his parable about love triumphing over hate and all that. That'd be pretty funny.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2010, 01:29:12 pm »

If the choices are wrong, you're not supposed to respect them. Like when you're out drinking, and your friend starts acting douche-like, it's your job to drag him home. Or when he's about to gamble away his rent money, your job is to smack him across the face and remind him he has to pay the rent. You'll note a similarity in these situations - your friend is acting irrationally. And replacing reason with dogma, which his friend seems to be doing, is pretty damn irrational.
What you're saying is so subjective its almost painful, because it depends entirely on your viewpoint. I am an athiest, and I think religion is just mass idiocy. That doesn't mean I should go slap my mormon friend (yes, I really do have one) because he is making choices I think are wrong. He tithes 10% of his income to the church, he spends tons of his personal time on church functions with no personal gain, and he literally replaces reason with dogma in many situations, not thinking for himself but instead acting according to the teachings of his church which are, to me, backwards and idiotic.

So here he is, wasting money and time on an organization that does nothing for him but provide a bit of false hope for his afterlife. Do I say anything to him? No... because this makes him happy. I ignore that part of his life and continue to be his friend, because I know that my way is not the only way to live, and I respect his right to choose where to waste his time and money.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2010, 01:29:45 pm »

Alright then, what's going to happen? If your friend is being a drunken ass, then he'll get himself hurt. If your friend is gambling away his rent, he'll be out on the streets trying to get you to let you live with him. So, what horrible thing do you think that his friend becoming a hard-core christian will do?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2010, 01:31:02 pm »

So, what horrible thing do you think that his friend becoming a hard-core christian will do?
Well I certainly won't invite him to hell's afterparty! That's pretty horrible, its gonna be an awesome party!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2010, 01:34:01 pm »

So, what horrible thing do you think that his friend becoming a hard-core christian will do?
Well I certainly won't invite him to hell's afterparty! That's pretty horrible, its gonna be an awesome party!
It'll be a blast, that's for sure. And I mean that in the most literal manner, seeing as we'll already be dead. You want strobe lights? Try C4...Lights...things...alright, so the plan needs some work.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2010, 01:36:13 pm »

Well anyway, I think I'm done here. Suffice it to say that most of you would make terrible friends if you cannot accept someone's change of religion. Respect your friends, don't try to make them what you want them to be. It isn't your life.

Hell, if it is a true cult then its probably an important life lesson for him, and will make an interesting story.

I wonder if he's just doing it to impress a chick.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2010, 01:40:54 pm »

Quick, direct your friend to this link.

Then talk to him about it or something.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2010, 01:42:14 pm »

I doubt it too, but the possibility has to be acknowledged.

But really, what do you suggest he do? Hire a deprogrammer to force his friend back to the way he was? Then he's no different from the cult using subversive techniques to brainwash his friend in the first place. His only real recourse is to report it to the guy's parents or the authorities, and the police likely won't care unless they think there are drugs or some other illegal activity involved.

Pretty sure brainwashing is illegal. Now it seems that you've quit, made a snide personal remark to most and then gave another unnecesarry 'if' situation.

If LDS sect that was in the news a while back was a cult, im pretty sure this one is.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2010, 01:46:57 pm »

Bay 12 is a cult

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2010, 02:47:26 pm »

If the choices are wrong, you're not supposed to respect them. Like when you're out drinking, and your friend starts acting douche-like, it's your job to drag him home. Or when he's about to gamble away his rent money, your job is to smack him across the face and remind him he has to pay the rent. You'll note a similarity in these situations - your friend is acting irrationally. And replacing reason with dogma, which his friend seems to be doing, is pretty damn irrational.

Obviously you're not familiar with the concept of "You're not his mother". If you overstep youself, noone will appretiate your meddling.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2010, 03:10:04 pm »

I think that being a friend implies doing your best to ensure your friend's well-being.  I'm doing my best, and damned if I'm not perfect and all-knowing.  I don't think I'm wrong to worry.  There are charismatic predators in the world, and they use extant religions to recruit.  This is not mere conjecture.  People get hurt in those groups.

So, we are getting in touch with his family, and a minister who's the uncle of a mutual friend to talk with them.  He'll have the support of his loved ones if this group turns out to be exploitative.  If they turn out to be innocent, I'll feel pretty foolish about all this, but I won't regret looking out for a friend or, heaven forbid, asking the rest of Bay 12 for their thoughts and advice.

Anyway, thanks everyone, I appreciate the thoughtful replies.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2010, 04:39:08 pm »

There is a difference between meddling and being a friend.

As a friend, if something your friend is doing worries you, you should tell him or her and discuss things. Find out why your friend is acting the way he or she is. This isn't infringing on someone's rights, this being a friend: telling someone you worry for them because they are acting strangely.

Meddling would be trying to get this person out of the possibly destructive behavior without finding out anything more than what you can see at first glance.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2010, 04:54:26 pm »

a few questions

how long has your friend been behaving like this? - might just be a phase

Does he behave like this just around you, some people, or all people?

If he is really part of a cult id expect him to be socially rather insular - in that he may surround him self with people with the same ideas - any evidence of this?

it might be an identity thing - most young people (my self included) try to identify with stuff, or create an image for our selves at various points in our life, some people take it further than others tho

i wouldnt get too worried unless he starts talking about sucide pacts etc (stuff thats actually dangerous). if hes just making an embaressment out of him self in some peoples eyes the thats upto him.

You could find out where his ideas are coming from - go along to church meetings or what ever, if your his friend this might be an option.

You could try challenging his views on an interlectual level. Christians ought to be able to explain their religious views- although arguing rarly achieves anything

speak to his minister if he has one. Ministers should take your concerns seriously, also if his minsters a bit nuts you'l have a better idea of whats going on.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2010, 07:21:33 pm »

They don't look very harmful, just rather... fanatical.  I mean, they also seem to be some sort of charity bike distribution thing.

I guess you could talk to the people in his church-type thing to see what they do.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7