Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: A friend might have joined a cult.  (Read 11393 times)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
Re: A friend might have joined a cult.
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2010, 11:47:17 am »

Regardless of what oppertunities he may lose out on, the First Amendment protects his right to practice religion as he chooses, and you shouldn't risk your friendship by trying to pull him away from that in any personal or legal way.

What his friend is all ready doing is jeopardizing the friendship.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2010, 11:47:49 am »

To go back to the drugs analogy, should you do nothing if you find out that your friend does heroin, because it might jeopardize your friendship?

In this case, it's not heroin. It's pot.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2010, 11:49:40 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISKCON

read up, then ask questions :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2010, 11:49:52 am »

To go back to the drugs analogy, should you do nothing if you find out that your friend does heroin, because it might jeopardize your friendship?
You are forgetting that heroin is both addictive and can lead to imprisonment, while he has made a choice to join this group and can leave of his own free will if he wishes. I don't think he shouldn't do anything because of their friendship, I think he shouldn't do anything because he should respect his friend's religious choices.

EDIT: I almost forgot. Still keep an eye on your friend, and do investigate if you think the group is drugging him or using entrapment tactics. That's another story altogether.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:52:33 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2010, 11:51:26 am »

If your friend is high all day and doesn't get anything done because of it, you need to have a talk with him. That's what friends are for - telling you when you're being stupid. If you never give unsolicited advice to friends you're not really friends, just acquaintances.

*edit* Being able to leave is a poor excuse. Abused wives can leave at any time, yet few of them ever do. Should we abolish social services?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:54:06 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2010, 11:52:06 am »

What if he had chosen to join one of the super-strict anti-technology religions? Would you still be freaking out and trying to get him help?

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2010, 11:59:03 am »

What if he had chosen to join one of the super-strict anti-technology religions? Would you still be freaking out and trying to get him help?

Ofcourse he would, I dont see what kind of point you're trying to get across.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2010, 12:00:26 pm »

The point that his friend's choice of religion is none of his goddamn business.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2010, 12:02:41 pm »

Once his choice of religion starts to harm his private one and leak out into his public one then it is a problem, it being a religion is not really a problem, it being something harmful is.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2010, 12:04:57 pm »

Once his choice of religion starts to harm his private one and leak out into his public one then it is a problem, it being a religion is not really a problem, it being something harmful is.
No, it really isn't his business. There isn't some special clause which says "You are free to follow any religion, except if it would in some way negatively impact you and then all your friends can meddle and try to get you admitted to psych wards."

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2010, 12:07:59 pm »

The whole point of friends is that they meddle in your affairs.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2010, 12:09:25 pm »

No, it really isn't his business. There isn't some special clause which says "You are free to follow any religion, except if it would in some way negatively impact you and then all your friends can meddle and try to get you admitted to psych wards."

Nobody has mentioned anything about a psych ward. How would you react if a close friend was engaging in a harmful activity? Take the religion part out of context, maybe you will see my point of view.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2010, 12:10:28 pm »

That only counts if your affairs need meddling, otherwise they're just nosy jerks. And in this situation as we've been informed of, meddling is not required.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2010, 12:11:05 pm »

Let's see if the OP has more information before we make assumptions.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2010, 12:11:57 pm »

Honestly, I'm not sure this is much of a cult.  It might be jarring to see someone about-face like that, but isn't that the point of religion?  To be a defining part of your personality?  He'll probably cool off a bit once the new religion smell has worn off, and if he stays that way, maybe you should just find a different friend?
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7