Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Civil War?  (Read 4457 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civil War?
« on: September 10, 2010, 04:33:56 pm »

I'm going about as a human swordsman. Simple. I go to a village and go to sleep after checking the rooms for people. Once I wake up, eat, and drink, I look into the other bedrooms. The ones holding the warlord and a swordsman were vacated. Two (on the second floor) held a corpse. I go downstairs, wondering if there was a raid while I slept that I somehow managed to avoid. There's another corpse. Standing next to it is a hammerman. There's a body in yet another room that was previously unoccupied, and a fisherman is standing next to it. Is there any way I can find out what happened in the time my eyes were closed?

Also, keep in mind that the Humans are allied with the Gobbos, Dwarves, and Elves. The Dwarven Civilization is as far away as possible, and the Elves are pansies. I'm not suspecting creatures or clowns, as in the first case the rooms on either side of me had bodies while I remained untouched, and in the second case there would be no survivors.

Are there any other options besides a coup de etat? I haven't seen the Warlord around. I've only checked the immediate area though. I'll update once I figure out what the hell is going on in Dabblearm.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civil War?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 04:46:21 pm »

Old age or animal attack? Civil war isn't likely to happen unless you start one yourself. You could check the Legends for events in that town that year to be sure.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 04:53:03 pm »

Well, I've found the warlord, alive and surrounded by two children, a swordsman and a hammerman. But for every person I've found alive, I've found another dead. There's bodies in their beds, in doorways, and one by the pool at the chapel place. I asked the warlord if I could be of service, and he told me that nothing was bothering them.

It wasn't old age, either. I found the body of a kid.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 06:03:45 pm »

IIRC, it's a loyalty cascade. In other words somehow, someone broke a law. After becoming enemy of the state, some warrior attacked the guy, became enemy of state too and so on.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 07:45:14 pm »

^Most likely...though part of me wants to be believe that your in a "Closed door Murder mystery" scenario or Serial murder case. Better check the library for a bloody candlestick or something...
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 08:30:12 pm »

That investigation scenario would make an exciting addition to adventurer mode, but I think Toady's making procedural generation do the impossible already.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 08:31:39 pm »

Don't you see...
YOU killed them while you slept!
You are a sleep walking murderer!
And apparently a very sneaky one as well as those still alive don't recognise you as the killer!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 09:05:53 pm »

One of the many, many, many theories that passed by me is that I wasn't asleep, but instead I was unconscious during the time that a forgotten beast possessed me.

There isn't blood spatter, which forces me to believe that the means of killing was suffocation.
Maybe a coup de etat was plotted, but the warlord discovered the plot and the names of the people involved, then had them dispatched while a traveler was in town so that he would get blamed for it. Luckily that didn't happen.

Oh man, look at me and my hyperactive imagination.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 11:25:19 am »

I had found similar things during my short career as adventurer today (got slaughtered by 5 FBs while exploring the main dining hall in one of my abandoned fortresses)...
almost everywhere I looked (which included active mountain homes and human towns) I found dead humans or dwarves...
often this included shopkeepers, preventing me from buying things from their shops and once I even found a high priest of a water goddess lying dead in his temple

Looks like towns have become very violent places in DF 2010 :D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:26:53 am by Proteus »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 03:15:35 pm »

I'm writing a story about this character's travels. The town of corpses was a great start.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 02:07:31 am »

They probably just died of old age because so many adventurers have passed through your world. Even after dozens of years pass, kids can't reach adulthood if that's how they ended world gen.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 04:32:05 am »

I walked into the temple of a town I'd never been to before and found six dead priests. The Legends say they all died of old age, but do you believe everything you read? So that's the official story, six bodies in one place, all from 'natural causes'? I should've checked the bodies for lacerations under their robes, maybe bruises around the throat.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 03:39:10 pm »

Oh man, it'd be so awesome if you could play CSI in DF. You'd have to mod in sunglasses, of course.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 06:46:06 pm »

Oh man, it'd be so awesome if you could play CSI in DF. You'd have to mod in sunglasses, of course.
(Picture of family in handcuffs)
Horatio Urist Cain:"Looks like this family. . ."*Puts on sunglasses*
. . . Just got framed.
YEEEAAAAHHH
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 07:51:35 pm »

I walked into the temple of a town I'd never been to before and found six dead priests. The Legends say they all died of old age, but do you believe everything you read? So that's the official story, six bodies in one place, all from 'natural causes'? I should've checked the bodies for lacerations under their robes, maybe bruises around the throat.
Ok...see, that's just getting silly/creepy now. Waaaay to many coincidences & body count keeps on rising, there's foul play indeed! Let's see:

Priest - accidentally stabs himself with a knife...from behind...several times.
Shopkeeper - bled to death when he accidentally slipped and got impaled in his own horse leather bag.
Farmer - common farming accident...several seeds pierced his brain & lungs.

Huh...guess I was wrong.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...
Pages: [1] 2