Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Climbing creatures?  (Read 2170 times)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Climbing creatures?
« on: September 10, 2010, 02:59:10 pm »

I was making a Bioshock Mod, and I want to know if I can make creatures able to climb around on stuff. (For Spider Splicers) Is this possible?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Climbing creatures?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 03:27:06 pm »

Nope. Even maneras have to hang about on the floor in plain sight, when their description states that they like to run about on the ceiling (that said, they could really do with the AMBUSHPREDATOR tag).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 03:33:25 pm »

The only thing which could work is a FLIER tag. If they stay in caverns it means that they climb walls/webs. However if they find a way out and fly into sky... Well, that's the only way to do it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 03:35:52 pm »

I suppose that'd work better if you made most layer rocks too hard to dig into (which would actually make a bit of sense in context) - then the chances of whatever leaving the caverns would be minimal, at the cost of having to go in and out purely through caves.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 03:41:36 pm »

It works for a Kobold Camp mod, but dwarves like to mine :D. I don't know about the "bioshock" mod though. It could work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 03:44:54 pm »

They could live in caverns I guess, since they did live in an enclosed wet city, which is almost like a cavern.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 03:47:35 pm »

Of course, it'd be even better if you adjusted all the materials to be a little closer to the source...

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 03:48:58 pm »

you could give them flier, make the carverns dense so they are almost always beside a wall/ ceiling, and limit the sky z-levels to only 2/3 making it more like they are jumping around, climbing over stuff as opposed to flying.
Nom nom nom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 03:55:06 pm »

Yeah. Now that I think about it, you could make a pretty convincing total conversion with combined changes to worldgen params and the world itself. Assuming that the number of demon types can be set to 0 (I haven't tried), you could make new creatures which live in underground 5, forgotten beasts can be genetic monstosities of some sort, perhaps a couple of socio-political factions as civs (though the implementation of that would be a little crude), minimal overland creature presence, complete upheavals of materials and the like, and so on.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 04:55:00 am »

I was making a Bioshock Mod, and I want to know if I can make creatures able to climb around on stuff. (For Spider Splicers) Is this possible?

Not yet, however Toady will work on enhancing the sieges in fortress mode [check the dev log], and he will add creatures which will be able to dig tunnels or climb walls for example...I just can't wait for these. Sieges will be really challenging after that point. :)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 09:51:46 am »

Well, then you will just have to work a bit more and make magmafalls and a magma moat. It still will burn them all :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 09:53:48 am »

Shadow of the Bronze Colossus anyone?
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 06:06:58 am »

Well, then you will just have to work a bit more and make magmafalls and a magma moat. It still will burn them all :D.

Actually we gonna have "bridge builders" as well! :P

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 04:26:55 pm »

So we need to rig traps that drop rocks on the bridges to smash them. Bridge vs. Cave In, round 1, fight! Oh damn, fatality before we had time to cheer. And building bridges is not fun when the dwarves shoot bolts at you.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:28:49 pm by rex mortis »
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.