Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Slowest computer  (Read 2750 times)

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slowest computer
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 12:42:14 am »

My ma's computer: WinXP, ~1.6ghz Pentium 4, 1 gig of ram, .40d.  Ran about 40 FPS straight out of the .zip file, was able to get it to about 70 with a few tweaks to the init files, and all the way up to my 100fps cap up to the second migration with some worldgen messing.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 12:44:12 am »

When I used to play DF on my laptop back with 38c, for some reason I consistently got no more than ~10 fps.  It's strange 'cause that thing had a 2ghz dual core, which was great for three years ago.  Didn't matter what I did, and I didn't know that what I had was actually slow; never bothered to turn on the FPS counter.  I would literally set up a project, go to class, and then come back to see if the season had passed (with auto-save pause) or if there were any important announcements.  It would take a full day of running DF to just get through 1 year.  40d eventually fixed this problem somehow, and suddenly, I was like "Wow!  My dwarves are flying!"
All generalizations are false....including this one.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 03:30:05 am »

Okay, something is fishy here. My 1.6 GHz laptop is one of the slowest computers here, and I get bette rperformance than most of you guys/girls by a long shot.

Maybe it's the fact I like flat, shallow embarks. :)
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 04:38:47 am »

I read through the assembly, and write down the alterations to registers and memory as the program executes.

I used to use paper to do this, but that was a waste of trees.

Now I use two Etch-A-Sketches- one for the registers and memory, and one for the display. Saved data is engraved with a chisel on a granite surface.

eliddell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 01:16:50 pm »

I'm going to have to see if I can figure out how to start it up on the 486 on the other side of the monitor, just to say that I've done it. (Somehow, I think it's going to involve custom Linux LiveCDs and other weirdness if it's possible at all...)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 02:00:52 pm »

A really old panasonic toughbook.
3x3 map.
7 dwarves.
3 fps.

But i bet not too many have played DF on a computer theyve run over with their car!
This post is made of win.
[/offtopic]

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 09:09:55 pm »

Acer Aspire One, 1.6GHz processor and 1GB of RAM. .40d gave me <18FPS at startup and <10FPS after a few migrant waves.

It required quite a bit of patience on my part, but I could now react in time to correct my designating errors, and leave the game running for long enough to get up and make a cup of tea without fear of some catastrophe spiralling out of control in my absence. My FPS now remains capped at 50.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 09:23:33 pm »

OMG, props if you can run DF on celery but 512 mb seems a little low, it'll practically lock up once that gets half full and windows starts shifting everything to the pagefile... when i had 1 gb ram everything starts locking up when DF gets to about 600mb used. After i upgraded i don't seem to have a problem ramwise, though the space elevator embark uses over a gb.. I can't unpause it without crashing though :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 10:41:11 pm »

A 600 MHz Celeron.

All options off, 2x2 map, pocket world.

1 FPS.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 10:41:48 pm »

233 Mhz, could not generate world.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

blazzano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 11:06:17 pm »

850 mhz Athlon with 384MB of RAM on a Windows ME system (ironically, an ancient crappy OS like that is actually beneficial for DF on a system with limited RAM - the operating system itself is relatively frugal with RAM use).

I can actually live with the 20-ish FPS at embark with a 4x4, and the ~8-12 I get on a relatively simple site (no waterfalls or anything of that type), 70-100 dwarves, a similar number of animals, and so forth.  The greater problem is the RAM - with 384 MB, there isn't enough to store the whole game in physical memory, thus forcing the hard drive to go to work frequently.  The arrival of a good-sized caravan can freeze the game for several minutes while it tries to process the new arrivials and their items.  Loading and saving games are twenty minute adventures.

Of course, the above crappy OS can't run a lot of the useful 3rd party tools like Dwarf Therapist - ah well.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:11:08 pm by blazzano »

reborninthefortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 01:19:05 am »

I read through the assembly, and write down the alterations to registers and memory as the program executes.

I used to use paper to do this, but that was a waste of trees.

Now I use two Etch-A-Sketches- one for the registers and memory, and one for the display. Saved data is engraved with a chisel on a granite surface.

Oh yeah?

This is how I play Dwarf Fortress.
'I have enough barrels!'

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 02:28:07 am »

I used to play dwarf fortress with a plastic shovel and a bucket, but a stray wave collapsed a section of the cavern and half the immigrants drowned. Im still banned from the beach :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 06:54:12 pm »

I used to play dwarf fortress with a plastic shovel and a bucket, but a stray wave collapsed a section of the cavern and half the immigrants drowned. Im still banned from the beach :(

I see what you did there.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

CaveIn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 09:18:15 pm »

I'm playing on a 1.6GHz Celeron with 1 gb RAM, I get in the area of 40-50 FPS on embark (which is drastically lowered pretty quickly). It seems like it's pretty high compared to other celerons here? I don't embark on crazy mountains though :p
I can see my hammer dwarf standing next to a beat bloody elf asking :"How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"....."What do you mean you don't know?!" *BANG there goes another rib*
Pages: 1 [2] 3