Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Downgrade Hauling  (Read 1032 times)

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Downgrade Hauling
« on: September 09, 2010, 01:31:01 pm »

I checked through the search feature to see if this has been suggested.  I can't fathom why it hasn't, but here goes.

As it is, when you have legendary miners mining out a large area, it creates a lot of stone.  Unfortunately, this means that every dwarf in your fortress decides that they are more into manual labor than, say, planting seeds for a harvest, and all of them start moving stone back to the piles.  Unfortunately, the only way to stop this is to disable stone hauling on every dwarf in the fortress except those that don't usually work (I'm looking at you, legendary potash maker).  Of course, that means that then when they are free for a few minutes, they sit in the dining hall and twiddle their thumbs, so you have to go back and tell them to haul stone until you need them again.  I believe we all see the problem here.

The solution to this seems fairly simple.  Have an option (order, I suppose) that tells dwarves whether you want hauling to be a primary or secondary labor.  Effectively, what it would do is make it so that if you chose for it to be secondary, your dwarves would do more important labors until they have no job, and then take the time to go haul stone (or wood, or what have you).  This would also help with woodcutters to a degree, since it often takes even longer to move around on the surface since it hasn't been designed for efficiency like your fortress.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Downgrade Hauling
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 02:16:09 pm »

Fixing hauling is #1 on the eternal suggestion voting. Fixing job priorities is #8. So yeah, here's hoping those are dealt with soon. Most people resort to turning off hauling on any dwarf of importance, and create a dedicated hauling corp. I personally just give my dwarves the [SPEED:0] tag so they are fast enough to get everything done despite their terrible sense of priority.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 02:20:22 pm »

Fixing hauling is #1 on the eternal suggestion voting. Fixing job priorities is #8. So yeah, here's hoping those are dealt with soon. Most people resort to turning off hauling on any dwarf of importance, and create a dedicated hauling corp. I personally just give my dwarves the [SPEED:0] tag so they are fast enough to get everything done despite their terrible sense of priority.

Oh, sorry I made an extraneous thread then.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 02:49:28 pm »

Yep number one suggestion,im sure mine carts like real mines will be added eventually.Its hauling all the clothing crap that bothers me atm.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 04:42:54 pm »

Yep number one suggestion,im sure mine carts like real mines will be added eventually.Its hauling all the clothing crap that bothers me atm.

I believe there's a "treat bodies as containers" suggestion which should go a long way to alleviating this problem.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 05:46:37 pm »

You intend to carve a dead body into a container? Armok approves.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 06:09:01 pm »

In fact you could make a workshop that create *fake bag* filled with stone and unload it to another workshop to unfill it.

Placed at the mining area.
Transport workshop.
Input: 10 stone(20 30) of one kind, + bag backpack barrel whatever
Output Stone-filled container.

Placed near the mason or anyone who need rocks.
InputL Stone-filled container
Output: 10 stone 20-30 whatever.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Ahp77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 08:53:12 pm »

In fact you could make a workshop that create *fake bag* filled with stone and unload it to another workshop to unfill it.

Placed at the mining area.
Transport workshop.
Input: 10 stone(20 30) of one kind, + bag backpack barrel whatever
Output Stone-filled container.

Placed near the mason or anyone who need rocks.
InputL Stone-filled container
Output: 10 stone 20-30 whatever.

Uh... I don't think that's currently possible in custom workshops.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:54:30 pm »

You could make it a custom workshop which creating takes that many rocks, which you could move and deconstruct, but that's about it.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 04:40:03 pm »

At worst make *compressed* rock wich you *decompress* in another workshop. It would require moving trough every single piece or rock and ore to add his own type of *reaction* tag.

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:TALC]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:talc][DISPLAY_COLOR:7:7:1][TILE:158]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:DOLOMITE:CLUSTER:100]
[SOLID_DENSITY:2691]
[IS_STONE][b][REACTION_CLASS:COMPTALC][/b]
[MELTING_POINT:12700]

In the reaction something like

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:COMPRESSTALK]
[NAME:Compress Talc Rock]
[BUILDING:TRANSPORT:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:COMPTALC]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:CTALK]
[SKILL:MASONRY]

Make the product be bar toy whatever, maybe not toy as other civ could bring weird toys. And make a new reaction for decompressing it. So you comrpess at the mine and decompress once at the workshop place or mainstockpile whatever.
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 05:19:15 pm »

Nice trick: don't build stone stockpiles.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 06:05:02 pm »

Hmmm in my post above i made a mistake the reagent should be 10-100 whatever not the product...

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 06:05:56 pm »

Nice trick: don't build stone stockpiles.
I build small ones, like 3x3 or maybe 5x5 (if its next to two mason workshops), so folks put stone on it, but it fills up fast so they go back to work at their real jobs sooner.

I also like the idea of making hauling jobs a lower priority task.  A list of tasks that you can reorder (similar to the jobs list) would do nicely, I think.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 07:49:34 pm »

Fixing hauling is #1 on the eternal suggestion voting. Fixing job priorities is #8.
I don't think it's quite fair to cite "Improved Hauling", since that is an over-vague suggestion that IMO shouldn't have been tolerated on the list.  It sucks away votes from clearer proposals that happen to improve hauling.   But "Job Priorities" does cover it, and I think I suggested something like this some time ago.

The problem is that DF's job assignment system is broken.  Instead of sensibly iterating over each dwarf to chose what job they will do, it iterates over each job looking for dwarves.  This means the system cannot efficiently answer the question "is there something better this dwarf could do instead?".  It can only cope with a binary allowed/disallowed on each possible dwarf-job pairing.

On top of this, hauling jobs are multiplied.  I think the system only considers a dozen or so items at a time, but still hauling jobs get "multiple lottery tickets" when competing against the workshop jobs (which the player would want at maximum priority).  Workshops have a further penalty in that each workshop job is only interested in a small slice of the population.