Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Joshua is back with some semi-permanence!  (Read 4300 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Joshua suffers from allergies, and will be here for the next few days.
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2010, 01:45:29 pm »

There is one I believe, but it's very old, and I can't remember the name offhand. I just remember one scene from it where a guy is playing ping pong against Hitler.

Anyway, over the course of my months over there, My roommate and I have became very good friends. I tell him frequently to visit me here on Bay12, but he's a lazy sack of goodfornothing that doesn't want to exert effort to any task that doesn't result in him obtaining food, sleep, or world war 2 memorabilia. We get along very well, but I do despise his extremely pessimistic habits and sociophobia. I will continue to talk badly of him here, until such time that he comes here himself and tells me to stop.

It's the type of playful animosity that occurs between us constantly. He'd appreciate it.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2010, 02:10:27 pm »

I'll be brief so as not to interrupt the current discussion too much. What is the story, the synopsis of which you spoke about? By the way, I've got a couple paragraphs here that might remind you of something, of course if they aren't too terrible.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2010, 02:48:41 pm »

I'll be brief so as not to interrupt the current discussion too much. What is the story, the synopsis of which you spoke about? By the way, I've got a couple paragraphs here that might remind you of something, of course if they aren't too terrible.

I believe you have the wrong discussion Mikhail. Just a wild guess on my part.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2010, 02:58:14 pm »

Eh. "The Authors"? I mean, your story idea.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2010, 03:02:22 pm »

I'm more confused than ever.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2010, 03:12:13 pm »

Oh. It appears that it's been some time, but I failed to keep that in mind. Nevertheless, here is the thread I'm talking about, which I discovered just recently, and really, I guess, wanted to ask for your permission to try to work on the idea, if my imagination and schedule allow.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2010, 03:16:32 pm »

Oh yeah, I remember that now. Sure you can, go ahead. I wrote that on a whim, and then just never followed up on it.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2010, 03:30:08 pm »

Thanks. Then you probably don't have any preferences or saved up ideas?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2010, 03:34:15 pm »

Not in particular. Go crazy and make it your own. From the little bit of writing I've seen, I approve heartily.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2010, 06:15:55 pm »

Oh, I've clearly forgotten to mention all the lame hardcore videogaming I've been doing.

At my friend's behest, I've been playing tons of Resident Evil 5, because I got the reputation as being probably the best RE5 player in the whole of MCTI, due to my insane scores in Mercenaries. So I play through the game on his Xbox a whole bunch, enough to get all the weapon unlocks, get enough points to unlock all the goodies, and then play through on Professional. That last one I'm actually really proud of, since Professional difficult is outright masochistic, and is evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt that the developers hate their completionist fans. I did it though, albeit on coop, with my partner using an infinite rocket launcher.

Also, I've sunk some money into obtaining the Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones for the Game Boy SP. I mentioned in my LP of FE: 4 that I wanted to play these, so I went out of my way to get and play them, and I did. After beating them both, I have to say they are both excellent games, and I'm EXTREMELY saddened to see that the last FE game for the SP, Sword of Seals, is Japan only. I mean, seriously, it takes place RIGHT AFTER Fire Emblem, there's even a cliffhanger! Lame.

I also got two advance wars games, but after playing the first one for a little bit, I'm EXTREMELY turned off from how rampantly the computer cheats when fog of war is concerned. I don't even want to play the sequels, because it was downright painful to see a game that initially entertaining to turn out to be so disappointing.

Also, I bought Resident Evil 4 for my PS2, which I had thoroughly played the hell out of. Beaten and unlocked everything, and enjoyed the entire experience. Truly a masterpiece of a game, and it surprises me with new things that I hadn't noticed before every single time I play through it. It took me a good while to get used to HOW MUCH HARDER RE4 Mercenaries is compared to RE5 Mercenaries. The things I do to enjoy HUNK's neckbreaker move though, because, for those that have never played it before, HUNK (spelt in all caps) when you execute his head-stun melee, will slip behind the enemy, and not only breaks the enemy's neck, but he forcefully twists their skull a full 180 degrees so it's looking straight back at him. An awesome sight no matter how many times I do it, which is very often.

Also, while it shames me greatly, I have been indulging it quite the bit of Puzzle Quest. I've been trying to complete quests as fast as I can, but I feel I've gotten addicted to the castle conquering and rune collecting nonsense, and now I'm stuck with a level 45~ Warrior with a skill and equipment set optimized for gaining mana rapidly and blowing up the board ad infinitum. I can't stand the monster capturing puzzles though, I can never figure them out without an FAQ. Also, the spelling researching minigame is complete horseshit, plain and simple, because if you want any decent spell whatsoever, you're looking at painfully unfair prerequisites that must be filled while hoping the RNG doesn't screw you over. Other than that, the game is fairly pleasant, even if alot of people accuse the game of cheating out it's ass.

Oh, and let's not forget how my roommate antagonized me into playing Gears of War coop with him, resulting in us playing through the whole game in an afternoon on a whim. It was pretty fun.

So yeah, I've been keeping myself busy.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 06:19:22 pm by JoshuaFH »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2010, 06:57:15 pm »

Have you played Tales of Game's Presents Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa yet?  You totally should.  I don't remember if you have or not.  Should only take you 10 hours to beat.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2010, 07:08:56 pm »

I remember seeing that on a freeware website a long time ago, and I was SO tempted to download and play it right there, but I didn't. Exactly why is beyond me, as it was advertised that in the game there was something like a Mega-dunk that had the power of a 50 megaton nuclear bomb, or something.

I really should play it, I just wonder if my pos computer could handle such a simple game though, since it's really failing lately at really simple things.

I need to get hoarding to buy something better, like, seriously. I know some trustworthy guys at MCTI, in Office Automation (basically, the computer class) that I could ask to see how hard it'd be to build a computer from things ordered from newegg or something.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2010, 06:34:06 pm »

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention. After much contemplation on my part, I've made a very important decision as of late. I withdrew from Electronics, and began negotiations to switch my class to Customer Service.

Basically, I found Electronics to be boring, because as it turns out, I have no interest in tinkering around with numbers or circuitry or whathaveyou. Instead, I thought I'd opt for a more people-oriented profession instead so that I might have a more lively day. Customer Service, as I'm told, is much more than just you're stereotypical guys sitting at a desk and listening to angry customers, there's also the possibility of learning Microsoft Access and learning how to configure and maintain databases for large businesses. I'm told this is a lucrative and cushy job, but I still have no idea.

Talking about MCTI still fills me with shame on a deep level, but it's a reality I have to face. In all reality, I don't think any of the classes in MCTI will give me a future I'd enjoy, but this is more endemic to me and my complete inability to know what I want to do with my life than anything else. I still wish that I were part of a prestigious academia, but someone posed an interesting question to me the other day: "If you could restart my life a year and a half ago, and instead go to a larger and more prestigious college instead of MCTI, but you'd never meet all the great friends you have now, would you do it?" and I honestly don't think I would, because it was by rare serendipity that I managed to accrue what I think are my first and best friends of my entire life, and I don't think I'd ever encounter a similar scenario again in my life, in any other setting.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2010, 09:17:25 pm »

Also, I experienced my first chipped tooth. Story: I was lasciviously mowing down on some scrumptious Chicken Kiev and, in the most retarded act of gluttony in my life, I bite down on my steel fork, chipping my top front tooth, whatever it's called.

Not very noticeable, but you can definitely see it if you're paying attention to my smile.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2010, 11:18:50 pm »

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to tell you all of my charitable activities. Me and my friend and his girlfriend engaged in a fund raiser. This fund raiser took the form of a game with a prize.

Now, as prerequisite knowledge, you need to know that there's six different dorm halls, each with a different name at MCTI: Kennedy, Jefferson, Providence, Academy, Ivy, and Superior.

What we did is that we set up shop in the main lobby, with a table with six different colored piggy banks each representing a different hall. Placing money into any given piggy bank would either add or subtract points from that particular hall. The hall with the most points at the end of the fund raiser would win an "Ice Cream Social" for each person living at that hall, which translates into a free Klondike bar for everyone.

The point denominations were simple: Each bit of money placed into a bank would have value equal to it's value in cents. Pennies and dollars were with positive points, while any silver coins (nickels, dimes, quarters) were worth negative points.

It was our intention for the students to play strategically, using the point sheets that we printed out (for their convenience) to keep track of how much money any individual hall would have, and then hurt them and help themselves in such a way as to win it for their hall.

What REALLY happened was a few people throwing huge amounts of money into their own hall, while literally EVERYONE hated on Superior, throwing them into hundreds of negative points, just because people fucking hate Superior because it's full of loud bastards. In the end, it was Kennedy, the all girl's hall, that won it. This was mostly because of a few people that didn't mind throwing in 40$ at a time for the glory of the female collective.

When all was said and done, we had roughly 350$ of money to give to Toys 4 Tots, our chosen charity. We took that money to Toys R' Us, and bought like four cartloads of toys for the little orphans or whoever the hell they go to, and deposited them into the appropriate bin. It was really fun, and my friend wants to do it again some months in the future.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6