Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Manager.  (Read 894 times)

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Manager.
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:45:39 am »

Make the manager useful.Like for instance a manager order to bring all items to depot and ignore everything else.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:30:14 pm by Jayce »

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Manager.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 11:02:50 am »

Well "make the manager usefull" isn't really clear.
It might be a good idea to allow the manager to prioritze a certain job like "bring items to depot" it might even help to give it a priority value so that say mining has priority
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:36:09 pm »

It might be a good idea to allow the manager to prioritze a certain job like "bring items to depot" it might even help to give it a priority value so that say mining has priority

I think that that already does get priority, but I do like what you are saying.  Right now, I find the manager indispensable, especially when you want your craftsdwarves to make lots of various stone crafts and bone bolts at the same time, or to queue up 300 of every kind of stone structure at once.  But, it would be nice if you could use him to select certain jobs or items to be handled first. 
I'm especially thinking mining.  Say you are making a pool from a stream.  As it stands, you have dig out the whole thing first, and then tell your miners to channel the last tile to the stream.  It would make it easier if you could just tell them to dig out the whole thing and then dig the channel from the get go.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 01:49:45 pm »

I think that that already does get priority, but I do like what you are saying.  Right now, I find the manager indispensable, especially when you want your craftsdwarves to make lots of various stone crafts and bone bolts at the same time, or to queue up 300 of every kind of stone structure at once.  But, it would be nice if you could use him to select certain jobs or items to be handled first. 
I'm especially thinking mining.  Say you are making a pool from a stream.  As it stands, you have dig out the whole thing first, and then tell your miners to channel the last tile to the stream.  It would make it easier if you could just tell them to dig out the whole thing and then dig the channel from the get go.

For mining it would also have the advantage to be able to put mining above everything else so that your miners could have other jobs but still prefer mining over other jobs.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 02:59:01 pm »

That is the thing,if i need 2 objects made in mass production from say the craftdwarfshop,i simply make 2 workshops and set both to r.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 04:40:34 pm »

I would like to see the manager assign work orders to more specific workshops, i.e. have a proficiency requirement for a job.  Lets say you have 3 mason workshops and 3 dwarves with masonry, one of them being legendary.  You order 50 blocks and 10 tables, but you want your legendary mason to make the tables, rather than the unskilled plebeians.  As it is, the manager will spread out the workload evenly among the 3 workshops and even if you set proficiency for each workshop.  It would be nice to request that the tables be made with a minimum proficiency which would prevent the noobs from touching them.  Alternatively, since you can already set requirements on workshops, the manager could dispatch orders to workshops that meet the requirements for the tasks.  Finally, it would be nice to manage forges or craft shops based on the work you want them to do.  This way if you order 30 axes and 30 shields to 2 forges, you wont have the axes sitting in the queue preventing your weaponsmith from working.  Similarly for things like stone work, bonecrafting, etc that are all performed at one type of workshop.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 01:08:05 am »

I would like to see the manager assign work orders to more specific workshops, i.e. have a proficiency requirement for a job...

Add material-specific commands on to that, and the manager might just be your one-stop shop for meeting mandates and making top-quality trade goods without ridiculous stockpile juggling.