Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: View animal gender and issue slaughter orders in cages  (Read 773 times)

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
View animal gender and issue slaughter orders in cages
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:16:37 am »

I'm currently sitting on a massive caged collection of cats in various states of kitten and no-longer-kittenhood.  I'd slaughter the whole batch, but I like to keep at least one breeding pair in captivity in case the main breeders (chained up in their own chamber) die of old age or other Fun.  It'd be much easier to sort through them if I could tell what gender the animals are when they're caged (this is one reason why I usually dump a lot of embark stuff to bring cows: bull-cow identification!) and being able to issue slaughter commands right there would help cut down dangerous potential cat-adoption time.

The animal menu in stocks doesn't work too terribly well, since you can't tell which animals are caged, chained, or freely roaming from in there.  Issuing a slaughter command from there means you might end up getting one of your chained breeders if you don't pay a *terrible* amount of attention to chronological order.  Adding that stat to the stocks screen would also be a tremendous help in keeping masses of animals sorted.

Optionally, can we give nicknames to non-pet animals?  That'd help too.

I don't think this should be a terribly hard thing to code, it's a fairly small and mostly aesthetic change that'll help make animal management a lot more streamlined.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: View animal gender and issue slaughter orders in cages
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:35:50 am »

You could also trust that if the main 2 die that you can get one from an imigration.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 02:49:18 pm »

Or just buy from a caravan, I know.

But sometimes I play low pop/dead civ games, or just have so many sieges/ambushes going on that immigration is shoddy and caravans aren't likely to get through.  And keeping backups and redundancies is a good practice in general.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:09:38 pm »

This makes sense.

While we're on the topic, can't the animals in both the units screen and the assign screen for chains/cages be sortable? Or at least sort them by species by default (instead of game object age)?

(fixed bad wikicode caused by posting this from my phone)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:39:30 pm by caknuck »
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 07:59:46 pm »

You can change the names of the gender castes so that males have different names from the females.

/solution
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 12:51:51 am »

Not a complete solution: Would still have to let cats out of the bag and then issue the slaughter command once a dwarf lets them out, giving them precious seconds of time to latch on to a dwarf like a one-dwarfbuck lamprey hooker.  Seconds that we could reduce to *milliseconds* if the cage were next to the butchery, and it was only released for immediate slaughter.  And that's *if* the butcher isn't on break/drinking/faffing about.

(Yes, I know, non-pet-passable doors and airlock patterns, but they're not entirely fooldwarf proof, and hysterics make every discussion better.)

Also, I prefer to solve my problems without modding whenever possible.

<Edit>: cent? What is this cent? We know only of dwarfbuck!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 01:02:58 am by koruth »