Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Most Complex MMO  (Read 18579 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Most Complex MMO
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2010, 09:48:24 pm »

Also, I sort of take offense in the word fanboi, I'm around since "Pong", yeah, old enough for that. EvE is just a good game, but its sad to see the direction CCP is taking. But what can you do. Its a little bit of a "Cartman's Theme Park" situation they got themselves into.

Fanboism doesn't discriminate by age. :P

I'm wrestling with what WoD is going to be like in their hands. Shockingly awesome in some respects, I'm sure. Teeth-grindingly monetized in others.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2010, 09:50:04 pm »

Yeah, when people post half-paged posts just to prove something it's a bit unusual for me too :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2010, 10:46:53 pm »

MUDs in general can be complex.  Many require a good amount of note-taking and mapping, as well as a good eye for detail.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2010, 10:48:45 pm »

Still, fanboi is a derogative term and if you can't appreciate lengthy and semi coherent posts, then screw you guys, I'm going home :D

But I can do it quicker:
You know you met somebody who has a clue about eve when they tell you -after 5 years of playing- that there are still many things they dont know about the game.

The "haters" usually tell you they understood that simple game... and then they go on their merry way flying missile ships and mixing launcher types - for instance ;)

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2010, 12:04:20 am »

wait a sec, that is munchhausen style... it doesnt work, its faked, innit? I'm sort of ashamed I even have to ask...

No way that's real, there is amost as much weight in the handle as there is in the head, and that still doesn't explain how the ruler doesn't tip, the center of gravity is outside the edge of the board.

No way that's real, there is amost as much weight in the handle as there is in the head, and that still doesn't explain how the ruler doesn't tip, the center of gravity is outside the edge of the board.

Ruler is attached to the table with some form of heavy duty adhesive. The ruler is bending upward because it is being pushed upward by the handle of the hammer.

Easy.

Actually no, it's a legit setup.  No glue or tricks, I just verified it myself.  The center of gravity alone isn't enough to keep it up, I think, so it must be some effect of the handle of the hammer acting as a lever to keep the ruler from falling.

My apologies for the off-topic.

KG

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2010, 12:04:44 am »

Puck: I can appreciate lengthy and semi coherent posts, but not when they take 2 pages and are about game mechanics and stuff in a generic thread.

Look, I don't mind you sharing your Eve experience, it just looks like there's too much about Eve in this thread already. Also I've finally read your posts from start to end because it's a morning and they no longer seem too "long and wtf is about it". Because it's a morning as I said, and I was posting in a deep night. And you know how a sleepy ill mind rejects big pieces of information without images. At least it does for me :P. It's just a sign of a mental tiredness.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2010, 12:13:11 am »

Hey there Puck, it's from memory, I have no idea what it really was now. Unless I could go in my account and check it. I remember it was put a lot of thought into and was extremely effective for its role. It wasn't a solo ship either.

Dissing me while saying people find new strategies on EVE all the time is really sad. =p
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 12:18:31 am by Soulwynd »

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2010, 04:56:27 am »

RuneScape is alot more complex than most MMOs, despite the shallow look.

SnuffleKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2010, 10:59:55 am »

I apologize for the length of my post. I just get tired of people bashing EVE out of hand. I will openly admit that without a little guidance from tutorials or an experienced player, the game can seem boring  and confusing and pointless, especially in the beginning. But if you don't experience the fun bits of the game, it's hardly fair to judge the game on the boring bits alone.

Let's say I decided to try the World of Warcraft free trial. I spend a week grinding quests, by the end of which, I'm bored and confused and also a little hungry. Would it be fair for me to say that the game as a whole is a boring and confusing and hunger-inducing, based solely on that week's worth of play?

I have three 80s on an inactive account.

Anyways, in an attempt to stay on topic:

I tried Wurm Online a bit. It was interesting, really quite so. I just wish that the combat were a little more fleshed out. Because the game itself had a really neat Dwarf-Fortress-esque vibe to it. I'd love to see a studio with a little bit of financial backing take a shot at making a game like this.

- Snuffles

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2010, 11:20:35 am »

When I was playing Eve (this post is not about Eve), my buddies and I were waiting for this game to come out which claimed to have the complexity and depth of Eve.

The game is: Pirates of the Burning Sea = Eve on the water with eye-patches?
http://www.burningsea.com/page/home

Now, I doubt it has all the depth because most of the depth of Eve is provided by the massive player base leading to intricate politics and economy. However, it might be fun to sail on a wooden ship and be able to swing a cutlass instead of being stuck in a pod.

Might be worth a 14 day free trial, like they have advertised, anyone game for try?
I got nothing

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2010, 11:39:34 am »

Ah EVE Fanboism at loose.

Don't be such an offensive douche. I've played it well over a year. Granted, that's not the several years some addicts have in that shit, but it's not a 7 day trial. I wish I could remember what my ship was and its build, all I remember is that it was a V shaped thing full of spikes or antennas, whatever they were.

Wurm has a certain level of complexity, but it was such a menu-clickfest it was annoying. I hear they fixed some of that now.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2010, 11:46:41 am »

I had a really good post all written up, and hit backspace and stupid Firefox deleted everything...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2010, 11:51:06 am »

Ah EVE Fanboism at loose.[/abbr]

Don't be such an offensive douche. I've played it well over a year. Granted, that's not the several years some addicts have in that shit, but it's not a 7 day trial. I wish I could remember what my ship was and its build, all I remember is that it was a V shaped thing full of spikes or antennas, whatever they were.
The UI got a lot of complaints too, but I liked it, it wasnt too bad. See, next example. Creating overview filters for each task is a small field of science in itself.

At any rate. you flew a raven, im almost sure. By now ravens have a (small) niche in pvp but for years every fc or gang leader would send you back to the tutorial if you showed up with a missile ship for an op. at least when youre the damage dealer, and thats what battleships tend to be.

But hey, I didnt mean to diss you, but I know the example before was based on your description. But it was in no means ... a diss. I just thought it would be a nice understandable description of what I was getting at.

I LOVE eve, even if I never will touch it again, but I dont think anybody else has to like the game. Matter of taste really. It's really just, a lot of people that bash that game only saw so little of it. What I'm trying to argue here is: "eve is probably the most complex mmo out there." because I know I'm right, and everybody else is wrong ;D Would I want anybody to play it?

NO. The community can be horribad, ccp has taken a turn which I dont want to support, and I dont want them to make any more money. Also eve can be detrimental to ones health. Physical, mental and social.

The only "mmo" I ever played that came close in complexity was guild wars in it's early days. 8 skill slots per char, 8 chars per team, every "ascended" char could mix two classes, and each class had around what? 50 skills? more? literally myriads of possible synergetic effects. When you played it in the early days, you just felt there WAS NO WAY the devs could have balanced it, because NOBODY knows all the stuff that is possible. And it would take years for every build to come up.

I havent touched it in almost 10 years or something like that. I bet it's a stupid simple game by now.

BTW, back then people complained about the "grind" in GW. Which was a surefire indicator that they had zero clue. Because you could beat that game at level 4 with a good team. At least that was the lowest I saw, and that guy was even a member of our guild, the "zen men". I admired that guy ;)

One game he kept the team alive without a screen. His monitor died midfight, and we ordered him with commands we knew he could enter without seeing stuff. Like... somebody would walk close and call out "Follow mode!" "Attack my target" followed by "HEAL!". (because we had to select healing targets for him).

So, GW would be my second suggestion, but take with grain of salt. I know nothing about todays state of game.

Oh and, always and forever PROGRESS QUEST!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 11:55:06 am by Puck »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2010, 11:51:25 am »

RuneScape is alot more complex than most MMOs, despite the shallow look.

Really? Are you sure about that? All i remember from my days of runescape were "Mine this, now make bars, now make weapon parts, GLUE THEM TOGETHER!"
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2010, 11:59:34 am »

I had a really good post all written up, and hit backspace and stupid Firefox deleted everything...
I hope it was about Ryzom or any other MMO than EVE.

Speaking about that, Ryzom had an interesting skill system where you could make your own powers. But alas, they filled the game with grind and made the fun bits of territory control to be sort of end game. So you had to grind non-stop for a month or two before you could have real fun.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8