Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just how powerful is a cave-in?  (Read 2738 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just how powerful is a cave-in?
« on: September 09, 2010, 02:20:02 am »

Holy carp.
My fresh new fortress just got owned by two patches of dirt. I come to a nice place, start digging an entrance, then notice that it has two tiles hanging over it and decide to remove them. I sorta knew they were gonna fall, I was expecting someone to get stunned at least, but it was way worse. The miner digs away, rocks fall and ,because the game loves me, everybody else in my fort just happened to be somewhere nearby. My woodcutter gets tossed about 15 tiles (at least I think he got tossed, I really doubt it has that much range) and dies almost instantly. Everybody else suffers heavy damage and each die out over the next few turns. The miner who caused the whole thing somehow breaks his spine (he never fell or anything, he stayed up there). I watched the him lie helplessly for a while then abandoned as he is certainly doomed. So I wonder. What exactly determines the "explosive radius" of a cave-in? I'm almost none of my dwarfs were directly underneath the tiles. Also, how exactly did it hurt my miner? I believe he stayed on solid ground the entire time, so can the blast travel through z-levels?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just how powerful is a cave-in?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 02:41:50 am »

How powerful is a cave-in? It's the DF version of "Rocks fall, everybody dies."

Anyway, your dwarves were launched towards an obstacle (usually a wall or floor) by the cave-in dust and injured/killed outright when they collided with it. The dust cloud first forms at the topmost level, which was what did your miner in, and expands into the underlying floors until the cave-in hits a floor with a natural wall under it, which is the lowest area it will spread out in.

I'm not sure what the blast radius of the dust is, but it's larger than you might think.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:44:02 am by Ubiq »

bdunwithat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 02:55:45 am »

A somewhat unrelated question, does cave in dust go through fortifications? seems like a great way to get most trap immune bastards to get caged

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 03:03:11 am »

A somewhat unrelated question, does cave in dust go through fortifications? seems like a great way to get most trap immune bastards to get caged
I do think so, since I believe miasma does
It won't work against titans, forgotten beasts and I think clowns though

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 03:50:23 am »

I think so, but it would only affect that small handful of trap immune creatures who aren't also immune to being stunned. So, kobolds, yes, Forgotten Beasts, no.

Now, if you wanted a fancy way of launching goblins sideways into cage traps, that would probably work.

bdunwithat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 04:05:01 am »

I think so, but it would only affect that small handful of trap immune creatures who aren't also immune to being stunned. So, kobolds, yes, Forgotten Beasts, no.

Now, if you wanted a fancy way of launching goblins sideways into cage traps, that would probably work.

Hmm, o well, might be a cooler way then using pressurized water to send gobbos into pits

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 04:24:02 am »

heh, i can just imagine a room with a channel all the way around the outside except for the way in and the way out on the opposite side.  When teh gobbo's hit the pressure plate near the exit (which would have it's own pit a few tiles outside the room) a support is removed and a cavein is dropped into the center of the room, blowing all the gobs into the channel around the edge.  :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 04:50:49 am »

so putting a single floor tile on top of a support attached to a lever in my meeting hall/statue garden would not be the ideal solution to excessive partying

Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 04:54:08 am »

I would be the solution to abusive partying, lack of doctor's training, abusive number of pets and baby AND coffin vacancy.

Perfect no?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 06:37:45 am »

I would be the solution to abusive partying, lack of doctor's training, abusive number of pets and baby AND coffin vacancy.

Perfect no?
but then you'll need more coffins
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 07:20:07 am »

Yeah, it mean training for your masons and less stones laying around. Win-win-win-win situation!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 09:58:45 am »

I caved in a mountain and a decent size chuck went through 3 levels of my fort crushing everything.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 01:31:42 pm »

Hmm, o well, might be a cooler way then using pressurized water to send gobbos into pits
Pressurized water doesn't move things anyway. Just unpressurized.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 05:47:13 pm »

so putting a single floor tile on top of a support attached to a lever in my meeting hall/statue garden would not be the ideal solution to excessive partying

This of course depends on your operating definition of the word "ideal"

It would certainly be a FUN solution.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 06:04:57 pm »

Urist Partygoer has been crushed in a cave-in! x 5
Urist Partygoer has been struck down! x 5
Urist Partygoer has collided with an obstacle! x 200
Urist Partygoer has been struck down! x 200

Actually, I'm not sure if tables and thrones count as obstacles, but statues probably do since they block movement.

Though you could very easily set up a system where nobody would be directly under the support by surrounding it with fortifications and a locked door.
Pages: [1] 2