Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Laptop powercord/charger issues. It makes a noise sometimes: why?  (Read 737 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Laptop powercord/charger issues. It makes a noise sometimes: why?
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:27:53 pm »

So I used my laptop a lot for work, school, and just my life. Basically, I'm on it all the time.

Every once in a while, my cord will make a zapping sound from the transformer. the sound comes every few seconds and they are generally 2 seconds apart.

I think this is either: a.) An overload protector, b.) a bad connection, or c.) a short somewhere in the transformer.

In any case:

1.) What is it?

2.) What do I do about it?

3.) What causes this so I can keep this from repeating?

I'm considering buying a larger capacity battery and am willing to look at other power cord options. For some reason.

NOTE: For some reason, it mostly only does this at school, but it has occasionally done it at home too. Not sure why.

Any help would be appreciated
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop powercord/charger issues. It makes a noise sometimes: why?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 03:45:09 am »

Which side of the AC adapter, I don't remember.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop powercord/charger issues. It makes a noise sometimes: why?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:00:29 am »

The sound does come from the part you plug into.... At least it's that part or one immediately behind it. Still weird how even after adjusting it and plugging and unplugging it, it still has the same problem for a while afterwords. It always eventually works fine again though.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.