Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Firefighting Labour  (Read 1245 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Firefighting Labour
« on: September 08, 2010, 07:19:45 pm »

Simple enough to implement. Upon a fire breaking out, a dwarf will get a bucket and fill it, then run to the nearest burning tile and throw water on it, continuing the process until it's out or the dwarf dies. It might as well train the same skill as hauling buckets of water around does -Item Hauling I think- rather than have a specific skill attached to it, at least until and unless the economy incorporates jobs that are paid periodically rather than piecerate. If a burning tile was treated a bit like a pond then they could even do it from some z-levels up.
An option for 'All Dwarves Extinguish Fires' in the vein of 'All Dwarves Harvest' would also be handy, but firefighting should be a top-priority job.

And is there some code yet in existence for periodically checking whether a dwarf is still going to the nearest 'item', in this case a burning tile? That would seem vital in order for your valiant firefighting dwarves not to stride across several yards of burning grass to dump a bucket of water on the spot where the fire started, or else the amusing message, "Fireman Urist cancels Extinguish Fire: Path blocked by flames".
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Firefighting Labour
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:59:40 pm »

Sounds good, but you can't skill up in hauling labors.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:27:02 am »

Perhaps flaming tiles could be giving an inherently high traffic cost, probably set in the init file. It wouldn't make them completely impossible to traverse, but it would stop dwarves from randomly diving into them when there's a clear space around them.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:31:15 am »

At least hauling trains attributes now.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 12:07:25 pm »

Firefighting would be a nice job perhaps also adding a put out fires outside option so that you can have forest fires without all your dwarfs running straight into the danger.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 02:59:31 pm »

I forsee a problem when the economy kicks in and firedwarves are paid per fire they put out...

Tobul McMayor: "So Urist, I see you earned 5500 DB's this month..."

Urist McArsonsingedbeard: "Well, there were a lot of Unexplained Fires to put out... *hides !!kitten!!*"
This is a blank sig.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 03:08:16 pm »

I forsee a problem when the economy kicks in and firedwarves are paid per fire they put out...

Urist McArsonsingedbeard: "Well, there were a lot of Unexplained Fires to put out... *hides !!kitten!!*"

Make it an unpaid labor that all dwarves do. I mean keeping ur entire civilization from burning to death should take priority over making some more wooden mugs

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 03:35:42 pm »

WOODEN MUGS?! What are you, some kind of elf?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Farthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 03:42:37 pm »

I find that doors are sufficient at controlling fire, and preventing dwarves from running in to save !!kitten!! or claim items from !!Urist McPeasant!!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 09:40:08 am »

Deliberate choice on my part. Chucking a bucket of water over a patch of burning grass isn't something you should be able to level up in.
Firefighting would be a nice job perhaps also adding a put out fires outside option so that you can have forest fires without all your dwarfs running straight into the danger.
Good idea, although I think fires can destroy trees as of .31, and if not then it's only a matter of time. Besides, at some point in the future your actions on the map are going to start affecting neighbouring civilisations, and neglecting to do anything about the forest fire that started in your territory and spread for miles into everyone else's won't make you very popular.

That would be why I suggested that firefighting should be covered under item hauling... Although, now you come to mention it, how do the Fortress Guard get paid? It can't be piece-rate, surely.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!