Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dummy Racks  (Read 1496 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dummy Racks
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:33:25 pm »

In addition to Weapon Racks and Armor Racks there should be a third the "Dummy Rack"

This third rack would basically be a wooden or metal dummy that wears the armor and weapons that are placed upon him.

While not used for military rooms (since it only fits one set of armor and weapons) it could instead be a luxury item that counts as a Weapon and Armor rack for the purpose of Noble demands.

If anyone has the official name for them, assuming they exist, I'd be interested in hearing it.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: Dummy Racks
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 06:21:37 pm »

I'm cursing myself I've never thought of this. Seconded if it hasnt already been suggested.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:03:58 am »

So, when constructed, do you specify the armor and weapons that are placed on it? Or does the dwarf just find the items and store them on there?

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:25:31 am »

very nice idea :)

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 10:46:00 am »

Could be used in arena mode to test stuff, it sure would be awesome in both cases
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 03:37:44 pm »

Put one out in a field and it could incidentally act as a scarecrow to keep away certain types of vermin and weaker animals.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 09:48:22 am »

What is gained?
Weapon racks only are used for military if made into a room, right?
Any dwarf can own a weapon rack already, in their room.
Why not just let Dwarves treat an owned rack in their room like a container, and put weapons on it?

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:52:26 am »

I'ma liken this one.

Farthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 04:09:57 pm »

I like the idea of using weapons and armor racks as storage for weapons and armor.

There's a lot of potential in the "dummy" idea for constructed "creatures" I think. Like wagons are technically creatures, the dummy could function in a similar way. Or maybe like an archery target.

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 10:00:28 pm »

What is gained?
Why not just let Dwarves treat an owned rack in their room like a container, and put weapons on it?

I think the intention was more to allow sparring practice without accidentally lopping off your sparring partners head, than as storage space for weapons and armor.
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 12:24:53 am »

What is gained?

I think the intention was more to allow sparring practice without accidentally lopping off your sparring partners head, than as storage space for weapons and armor.

Storage space would also be quite cool. It could be both a weapon and an amour rack.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 12:41:56 am »

How neat would it be if we could pick one of the uniforms we have created for our squad when building an armor dummy, and it would be armored and equipped like a dwarf would be with that armor?

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 11:56:38 am »

How neat would it be if we could pick one of the uniforms we have created for our squad when building an armor dummy, and it would be armored and equipped like a dwarf would be with that armor?
Or we could maybe even armor is like a goblin?
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 06:51:49 pm »

Or we could maybe even armor is like a goblin?
Well that would be the beauty of letting us use a premade uniform. You could make a uniform which has the armor and weapons you took off the goblins and set up some training dummies for it.