Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Current ideas on evolution?

The Old-Evolution-Mind control fungus!
Counter-Evolution-No mind control fungus!

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 138

Author Topic: Evolution: Jethro is back!?!?! [SPACE]  (Read 121637 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Onwards, Jethro! [FUNGUS]
« Reply #705 on: September 28, 2010, 06:26:09 pm »

And munchkins are bad?
Munchkins? When were munchkins mentioned?
A munchkin is a turm that describes a player who "bends" the rules to make their character more powerful or harder to kill.

I think that breadbocks read your comment about how "In his path we're a godplayer that only gets to improve monstrosities. On my path we're a vulnerable monstrosity that gets to further become a true monster." and took it to mean that you thought that our current creature is overpowered in some way.

Or I could be completely misinterpreting the whole thing.

Flagrarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 28, 2010, 06:28:48 pm »

That explains it, thanks. I guess I should've googled it, I'd never heard of that term before.
I've had my name said wrong at least 10 times so far in my whole forum life.
Oh, HORROR! This is clearly a travesty of untold proportions! The typo gods truly have brought their wrath down upon this poor man!

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 28, 2010, 06:35:51 pm »

Hey Flagrarus, how about we just wait until we can be a monstrosity THAT creates monstrosities that it controls with a hivemind? We could go the mind control route, AND the monstrosity route. Wins for everybody?
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 28, 2010, 06:37:45 pm »

No problem, it is my purpose to serve the hivemind of Bay 12.
(I learned from Tv Tropes.  ;))

Flagrarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 28, 2010, 06:40:10 pm »

Hey Flagrarus, how about we just wait until we can be a monstrosity THAT creates monstrosities that it controls with a hivemind? We could go the mind control route, AND the monstrosity route. Wins for everybody?

How would we create monstrosities though? The more obvious solution seems to be, to me atleast, get the hivemind, then evolve a bit to get enough control over our host's mind to control the evolution process, then use any DNA or such we have from our fellow creatures to modify the host. Share it's DNA with the rest of our species, and wait until we get something awesome.

EDIT: Of course, we don't know how this hivemind would work yet? Worst case scenario would be, DNA transition has to have physical contact and a creature can only remember so much at a time, but we could solve this by using what we are: fungus. Fungus, designed specifically to store DNA. Every creature of our species could split off some of itself and grow some fungus containing the DNA information. Then, all others of our kind could use these mushrooms to gain this DNA and evolve themselves into something better. We would be doing the same thing, of course.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:44:19 pm by Flagrarus »
Oh, HORROR! This is clearly a travesty of untold proportions! The typo gods truly have brought their wrath down upon this poor man!

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 28, 2010, 06:44:17 pm »

How would we create monstrosities though? The more obvious solution seems to be, to me atleast, get the hivemind, then evolve a bit to get enough control over our host's mind to control the evolution process, then use any DNA or such we have from our fellow creatures to modify the host.

DNA splicing is horribly inefficient for your purposes. Unless TC wants to pull something out of thin air again we'd have to experiment quite a bit to get it to work. Of course this is following real world standards. I'm not sure how the TC would want to handle splicing.

Flagrarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 28, 2010, 06:45:27 pm »

How would we create monstrosities though? The more obvious solution seems to be, to me atleast, get the hivemind, then evolve a bit to get enough control over our host's mind to control the evolution process, then use any DNA or such we have from our fellow creatures to modify the host.

DNA splicing is horribly inefficient for your purposes. Unless TC wants to pull something out of thin air again we'd have to experiment quite a bit to get it to work. Of course this is following real world standards. I'm not sure how the TC would want to handle splicing.
Well yeah, it would be pretty hard, probably. We'll have to start with our kind just infecting stuff anyways, so we'll have enough time to figure out a way. Oh, and I edited my previous post with a way I think the DNA sharing with others might work. Of course, if we can just make some kind of message containing the DNA that doesn't require physical contact, and there isn't a limit on how much DNA a creature can remember, it would be a lot easier.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 28, 2010, 06:47:20 pm »

I'm not sure how the TC would want to handle splicing.
With little girls with needles, being followed by large men grafted into diving suits.
That fixes everything.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 28, 2010, 07:34:43 pm »

Onwards, Mind Control FUNGUS!!!!!!!
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 28, 2010, 07:42:01 pm »

We should make ending parasitism an option, that way we can evolve to the next stage of creature and retain mind control.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 28, 2010, 07:45:26 pm »

We should make ending parasitism an option, that way we can evolve to the next stage of creature and retain mind control.

But a parasite civilization would not make sense. We would not be a civilization, we would be a fungus on the head of a civilization.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 28, 2010, 07:49:28 pm »

Correction: we would be a civilization, that just so happen to live on the heads of a different civilization.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 28, 2010, 07:52:11 pm »

Correction: we would be a civilization, that just so happen to live on the heads of a different civilization.

That isn't how civilization works, I'm afraid. A fungus is not a civilized being. Neither is the monstrosity I described, but you get where this is going.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 28, 2010, 07:59:08 pm »

We may end up being a civilization; but only because we leeched some civility off of someone else.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 28, 2010, 08:10:01 pm »

A fungus isn't capable of complicated thought. The only way for it to become civilized is a hivemind. Assuming the hivemind needs a host constantly we'd be doomed if a new host was supplied even a little bit late as a parasitic race.
We could become stationary godplayers that only sent orders to our spliced creations, but what fun would that be?
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 138