Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Knights of Bay12- Planning  (Read 2753 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Knights of Bay12- Planning
« on: September 08, 2010, 04:01:30 pm »

Looks like there is plenty of interest, so I've started doing some major work for it.

This would be a strategy game of sorts. You are a commander of an army, and you have to choose the mixture of units and tactical options that you take into battle against the other players. Between rounds you will get money to retrain/heal your old troops, buy new ones, and get more tactical options, etc.

After each battle you will gain Glory, which is used to score the players on how well they are doing.

Each battle will be simulated by a script I'm working on, and you will get a battle report afterwords that describes what happens. So this game is more about strategic decisions than the actual combat itself.

Basics:

Knight:
    Name: Sir [insert name here]
    Command: This adds to the number of troops that you can support.
    Tactics: This adds to the number of tactical options you can use and is used to determine who chooses battlefield selection

You have 5 points that you can distribute between Command and Tactics. All Knights have 3+ Command in units they can support and 3+ Tactics in Tactical options they can take

In combat, all units of the smaller army will fight. Any units left over with the larger army are considered Reserve units. Reserve units can either Flank (Add their strength to the strength of a unit in combat) or a Tactical option can be used to bring them into combat. Flanking does not require a tactical option, but only two units can flank in a round.

Combat will go until one army is below half strength. If both armies are below half strength after a round, the one with higher strength wins

Below are the units and tactical options I have ready so far.

Spoiler: Units (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Battlefield Types (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Battlefield Conditions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unit Tactics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:18:38 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Polling for interest - new game idea
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 04:04:08 pm »

If you're gonna do that, it would be cool, but it needs something unique about it. Do you know how many games almost exactly like that there are?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »

Hmm, I looked over the active games on the first page and didn't see anything quite like what I'm planning on running. It should be a bit more in-depth than some of the others I've read, at least. I've got about 20 or so units in mind as well as a fairly broad range of tactical options you can use for the battles.

Are there any games in particular that you're thinking of that I should look over?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 04:09:54 pm »

I don't even mean on the forums, but just flash games in general.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:11:23 pm »

Well, for a forum game it would be quite cool.

Will we be restricted to a list of options, or can we invent new one? Also, I hope it won't be a rock-paper-scissor thing. If not, I'll join!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:12:36 pm »

Well, for a forum game it would be quite cool.

Will we be restricted to a list of options, or can we invent new one? Also, I hope it won't be a rock-paper-scissor thing. If not, I'll join!

Oh, it's a forum game. I was confused. I suppose it's unique then.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:17:22 pm »

@Aramco: Well, for now this is just a forum game idea. I do have a broader web-based game that I'm thinking of doing with this which would be a little more elaborate. But for now I just wanted to see how much fun people had with the basic army system.

@Sheb: I have a somewhat limited list of tactical options at the moment, but you're free to come up with suggestions for me to work in. Somewhat the same for Units. I have a list right now, but I could add new ones pretty easily. I'd just have to figure out the balancing for whatever the new units do.

As far as rock-paper-scissors goes...sort of. There are some basic tactical considerations that work that way (archers pretty well slaughter spearmen, for instance), but you have a lot of units that will subvert or muddle those relationships. Plus you can use various tactics to counter any strengths your opponent might have against you. Fighting on a rainy day, for example, will seriously reduce the power of archers.
Come play Mafia with us!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 04:19:37 pm »

For archers, is it going to get into wind speed and direction? Or like, much less complicated than that?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 04:23:52 pm »

This sounds good! But please let me know if you start accepting sign-ups, as I have a habit of finding things I like, then forgetting about them 'till it's too late. Aslo if you post the lists of strategies/units that you have, people might be able to add to them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 04:26:54 pm »

Less complicated than that. Basically one of the Tactical options that players can choose is Battlefield conditions. So there will be ones like Heavy Rain, or Calm, or High Winds or whatever that will have different effects on different units. Heavy Rain, for instance, would give a penalty to all Ranged and Armored units.

Units basically have a few different characteristics that set them apart from one another.
Basic Strength: Shows how powerful the unit is. Longbowmen are inherently stronger than normal archers
Ranged: Some units have a long ranged attack (archers, crossbowmen, etc)
Reach: Some units have long melee weapons (Spearmen, Halbardeers, Lancers, etc)
Armor: Some units wear heavy armor (Swordsmen, Lancers, etc)
Mounted: Some units are mounted (Lancers, Horse Archers, etc)
Skirmish: Some units use thrown weapons and are trained to fight using hit-and-run tactics (Axemen, Light Cavalry, etc)
Formation: Some units fight in very disciplined formations (Heavy Infantry, Pikemen, etc)
Shields: Some units use large shields to protect themselves (Swordsmen, Heavy Infantry, Lancers, etc)

Plus some units have bonuses vs specific types. Macemen, for instance, have a bonus vs Armored troops.

So you'll have a large mix of units available that work well in different situations. Plus, the better units are much more expensive to acquire and upkeep than weaker/more specialized units.

@Kashyyk: Yeah, I'll post in here when I start sign-ups. I'll also post the full Unit/Tactics options at some point. I still need to do a write-up of all of that. It's not actually ready to start yet, I'm just getting an idea for how interested people would be in me actually fleshing this out and running it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 04:29:05 pm by Mephansteras »
Come play Mafia with us!

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 04:28:21 pm »

So, this is exactly what I was origionally planning RvB to be...
Cept' I got lazy...
And you didn't...
Now you win...
I'd play it!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:19:43 pm by Evergod41 »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 05:54:25 pm »

I would love to play this!

Sign me in!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 06:01:09 pm »

I would love to play this!

Sign me in!

That is, if you decide to.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 11:00:07 pm »

Looks like there is enough interest to warrant running this, so I'll keep working on it. Might be a week or two before I actually start, though, since I'm running a Mafia game at the moment which is fairly intensive and I still need to figure out the rules for this a bit more and get the script working.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 09:38:26 pm »

Here is the list of Units I have so far:

Archers:
    Ranged
    Cost: 150

Swordsman:
    Armored
    Shield
    Cost: 200

Spearmen:
    Reach
    Armored

Peasant Spearmen:
    Reach
    Cost: 100

Light Cavalry:
    Shield
    Mounted
    Cost: 250

Heavy Cavalry:
    Reach
    Armored
    Shield
    Mounted
    Cost: 350

Pikemen:
    Reach
    Armored
    Formation
    Bonus Vs Mounted: 50
    Cost: 300

Halbardeers:
    Reach
    Armored
    Formation
    Bonus Vs Armor: 50
    Bonus Vs Mounted: 25
    Cost: 325

Skirmishers:
    Skirmish

Crossbowmen:
    Ranged
    Armored

Longbowmen:
    Ranged

Horse Archers:
    Ranged
    Mounted

Zweihanders:
    Armored
    Bonus Vs Reach: 100

Axemen:
    Armored
    Shield
    Skirmish

Macemen:
    Armored
    Shield
    Cost: 225

Heavy Shieldmen:
    Armored
    Shield
    Formation

Militia Swordsmen:
    Shield

Militia Spearmen:
    Reach

Lancers:
    Reach
    Armored
    Shield
    Mounted
    Formation
    Cost: 450

Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: [1] 2 3