Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: For Queen and Country!  (Read 12447 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For Queen and Country!
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2010, 04:04:50 am »

Yup, A-OK.  Thanks for the balancing ^_^;;
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2010, 05:14:32 am »

As the minutes ticked by, the great british weather decided that it was time for it too, to make its presence known. What appeared to be rainclouds started to drift in overhead, threatening to douse those making the speech around the time that they started. Spring hadn't long ended and the summer weather so far had been cold, so it was hardly a suprise to most that there was still the risk of the the occasional shower.

Many civilians of course, remained either blissfully unaware of the threat of oncoming rain or simply couldn't bring themselves to care until it was atop them. That was of course, assuming it did fall, assuming that the weather did take that turn and douse the politicians attempting to diffuse the growing fires of discontent, with icy water.

RAM:
The Technomancers were probably the group most interested in this entire situation, as they had come out in droves to see what would be said. It was of no suprise however, given that one of them had decided he wanted to hear, and the rest had figured that it was a wonderful excuse to go to the pub afterwards.

The group you were travelling with were loudly talking away, yet it wasn't to each other, it was at each other. Yet never at you. You had unfortunately tagged along with a band of the ones more interested in seeing who could make the most colourful explosions, while you yourself focused on much more mundane things in their eyes.

Naturally, with their true intent to claim they were witness to this important event giving way to their desire to get drunk, over half of the group was gone by the time you reached the fenced off area around the square. The others were naturally dragged out of sight for a beating after one of them boasted that he could easily level the entire square with his concoctions.

While you had stepped away from the noisy group, just before arriving, the fact that you were also easily idenitifiable as one of them had an officer with a bushy moustache, one finger twirling in it absently, approach you.
"Excuse me Sir, but do you mind turning out your pockets?" he asked. "Just a precaution, given the group just prior seemed to be talking quite fixatedly about explosives." he continued, before waiting patiently for you to comply.

Armok:
With coin in palm you considered the two routes before you, wagging your finger in the air as if trying to decide what one was what, half starting in one direction before pivoting on your heels and turning in the other. You did this once, twice, thrice, then stopped in the spot you had originally stood in, flicking the coin from hand to hand absently as you made your choice.

The safe route.

Yes, the safe route was most assuredly tails.

You flipped the coin, catching it with practiced ease, slapping it down against the back of your other hand before you lifted it a fraction of an inch to peek under. You paused, glancing left, then right, then left again as you ensured that nobody else had seen the coin, before slipping it back in your pocket.

Heads it had been, so the alley ways it was!

Once more holding onto your hat, you strode into the alley way, humming a merry tune to yourself as you passed by shocked looking lower class citizens and and the occasional rough individual. Every such person who turned your way as the sound of your footsteps echoed off the claustrophobic walls of the alley got a smile and a tip of your hat as you strode on without a care in the world.

As you left the narrow alley way, you found yourself on one of the main streets, a street in what all manner of people wandered in one direction. The square was in that direction, with the time you had made up meaning that you could now dilly-dally to your hearts content and yet still turn up just on time to catch the start of this speech.

Nirur:
The alley ways that you were taking to get to the event as quickly as possible were indeed a fast route, yet they had you going past a number of undesireables. Rough people, many of them unkempt and dirty, many of them giving you a good looking over as if assessing how worthwhile the risk of attempting to mug you was. It was the gun at your side, the gun that your hand hovered near that stopped them trying, yet you felt distinctly unwelcome here.

Confident as you were, you were out of place, lacking that casual grace with what they lingered in this place, in their domain. In the alleys, fear of the law came second to fear of your fellow man. Luckily for you, your fellow man was either reluctant to attempt to take what they wanted from you, or lacked the arms to risk such a thing. Unfortunately, this didn't stop one of them from attempting to urinate on your shoes as he glanced in your direction.

3 Fire, 1d6 (1)
vs
6 Fire, 1d6 (5)

The man was succesful it seemed in meeting his target of hitting shoes. Drunk as he appeared to be, they were own shoes, along with his trousers, leaving the man swearing loudly as he stumbled back in the direction you had come from with a look of disgust. Laughter came, faint as it was, from the alley behind you as you made your way onward, laughter and taunting, no doubt mocking the man for his accident.

The rest of you journey through the alley's was much the same as the start, though thankfully without any further incident like the drunk man. As you left them, you found you were indeed quite close to the square, your hand drifting away from your weapon as you saw the presence of police. Curiously, there was a group of men in guild regalia being restrained by one of the officers present, protesting that when they said they could destroy the square, they hadn't meant they intended to do it right now.

The officer in question looked rather perplexed.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2010, 06:21:54 am »

Damn, missed a turn.

Anyway: "Someone messed up the speech, and I had to go to the guildhouse, run back here with the revised version and deliver it. And now Im missing a bomb test."

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2010, 07:39:21 am »

Before the officer could react, Edward had advanced beside him and was withdrawing something from his pockets and spoke hurriedly "Just a few coins as-you-can-see, nothing-to-vorry-about." Edward, unsure of what the officer wants, and growing nervous, then notices the bag. "Oh, there's nothing-in-there, just-a-vew odds-and-ends that I vas vorking upon. Leave-them-around and something bad is-bound-to-appen to zem. Vhy, lazt time I-didn't-zee-my zpanner until it lodged itzelv into-a-vall!" At this point Edward was fidgeting wildly and his speech was degenerating into an accent. Trying to escape the Policeman's attention, Edward drifted back towards the crowd, and was willing to obey just about any reasonable request to end the encounter.

Feel free to change my action in any way that you like. I am still getting a feel for this character and am not yet entirely certain what I want to do with them...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2010, 08:37:12 am »

Not much to do beyond go and wait for the speech I guess, maybe some of all these technomancers have a good price on pyrotechnics. Smokebombs, cold flames and the like.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2010, 10:53:11 am »

Okay, Both Glyph and Digital have their reasons for not participating right now, bumped them down to the bottom of the queue, but, whenever they're able to join, I'll try and give them priority to be fair and all.

That means Abculatter's in with the open place, and I have more to write up.

Also, going off Cerapa's comment about missing a turn - I figured that I'll keep things loose with the turns and such given everyone has different hours, so the synchronisation of the characters may be a touch off, but, I can get bits and pieces of turns done as everyone roughly keeps up, and count inactivity by days. It's fairer on the players that way, I figured.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2010, 11:15:03 am »

Put a Time Stamp above people's sections, you could do some freaky shit with that, have one guy far in the future before everyone else do something that hits someone in the past who was lagging behind. Oh heck have someone in the past 'change' the present of the other guy in the future cause he was somewhere were he wasn't spos to be before...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2010, 11:25:12 am »

Put a Time Stamp above people's sections, you could do some freaky shit with that, have one guy far in the future before everyone else do something that hits someone in the past who was lagging behind. Oh heck have someone in the past 'change' the present of the other guy in the future cause he was somewhere were he wasn't spos to be before...
This would turn into a total clusterf***.

I say no, but I imagine Silleh should cause a time reset every once in a while, so everyone gets synced again. Possibly while everyones sleeping.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2010, 11:30:00 am »

Henry will idly chat with people, trying to get a feel for any "old-style" blacksmiths in the area, where he may practice his craft the way it was meant to be practiced.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2010, 12:27:09 pm »

The bank of clouds above continued to roll in, steadily blotting out the sunlight that the city was bathed in this morning. Dreary as the shade of grey the clouds bore was, the real dampener came from the sounds of the technicians testing the speaker system that had been set up through the square. If they were doing this at such a late point, then it was clear that they were all far from organised, that this truly was a hurried response.

"Testing. Testing. One, two, three," came the voice of the technician, echoing through the surrounding streets as they tested the speakers, before they fiddled about and music came through them instead. While they were doing their best to keep most people they viewed as undesireable out of the square for apparent safety reasons, those inside it would still easily be able to hear things.

Cerapa:
The officer gave you a strange look, pausing briefly to look you over as he confirmed that you were indeed one of the Technomancers. A certain degree of eccentricity was expected of them due to how they had been stereotyped, stereotypes that had spawned the occasional cartoon in newspapers with them staggering out of a lab, smoking, with captions about how it had been a blast.

Sadly, it seemed this officer thought such a joke was appropriate, the fact he had started laughing before he spoke telling you it was coming.
"They got one of you to write them a speech, did they?" he started, struggling not to laugh as he delivered the punchline. "I'm sure that must have been a blast!"

After the man had stopped laughing, there was a moment of awkward silence before he grumbled to himself and stepped aside so you could enter, giving you access to the many rows of chairs that had been set before a podiu, ready for the speech.

RAM:
The officer was nervous at first as you moved so, yet, the presence of the mundane items in your pockets at least alleviated this worry to an extent. Still, he watched you carefully as he listened to you talking about the contents of the bag, his attention firmly on it as he narrowed his eyes, rubbed his chin and let out a brief huff.

"Sir, I can't understand what you're saying, could you speak a little more clearly?" came his words, slower than before, though his attempt to follow up was cut off by another officer approaching.

"Ey, Robin, we 'ave a fight t'break up, come give us an 'and."

Scowling, the officer hurried away, leaving the gate unguarded for the time being. It'd no doubt be moments before someone else manned it, though the question was, did you risk it or not?

Armok:
Technomancers, such easy people to find, people that stood out more than you would have, had you been able to mask your presence from those in the city. They were always such easily identifiable people, charred attire, chemical stains and a general absence of signs of life. At least when they were dead, that was, when it came to the ones who were alive, you didn't have the foggiest where to start.

You figured however, that you would find them loitering about the square, that they would be keenly interested in the matter at hand given that they were one of the technocracy's representatives.

Find them you did, too!

Several of them were sat there, beside a man in uniform with their hands behind their backs. They almost fit the prior criteria perfectly, too, apart from the fact they were very much alive.
"Ah, gentlemen, I hear you are the ones to come to for things of more spectacular natures," You paused, for dramatic effect before you spoke up once more "I am in need of the services of those like yourself, to aquire things that fizzle and go boom, things that-" You were cut short as the officer nearby yelled something about that being a good as he needed to hear, before he pulled the men to their feet and hauled them away.

Right in the middle of your inquiries into performing, too!

How very rude.

Nirur:
You were out of place here, with what you took to be representatives of the smiths guild being people that appeared to have never seen a hard days work in their lives. Worse still, the one you attempted to talk to about such matters seemed to be uninterested, telling you that you should inquire at the guild house, not chatter idly about such matters with the potential state of emergency.

The sound of yelling from behind you marked the departure of the men who had been behind you prior, with them being pulled along by a chain linked through their handcuffs. A strange man briefly caught your attention there, though he was clearly no smith. Infact, he seemed more like one of the aristocracy who had already arrived and been ushered into the square.

You were about to inquire with another of the smiths, when the music that filled the air was replaced with an announcement, one in the voice of an older man, a man you couldn't see at this point.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Right Honourable Lord Morten will be delivering his speech soon, please seat yourselves in an orderly manner."

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2010, 12:41:02 pm »

Nothing like using stereotypes.

I look for a place to sit, so the guard wouldnt notice that I lied to him. And listen to the speech.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2010, 01:23:07 pm »

Really like how you characterize my char.

I guess I'll seat myself in an almost orderly manner.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2010, 01:44:41 pm »

I take a seat. The aristocratic smiths can be sorted out later.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2010, 03:21:10 pm »

Eather moved though the crowd of people in the square to find a spot to sit, he wanted to hear what was going to be said. He was shocked when he had come to this city. The smog, the decrepit parts of town, the evil that stocked the night, they were all new to him. He wanted to hear from the leaders of this city, he was here to learn and he dearly wanted to learn what was wrong here, he felt it.

Finding a spot to sit down he made himself comfortable. Time to hear and learn.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2010, 04:45:01 pm »

I take a chance and try to sneak through the gate.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8