Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shadowclaimer's Civilizations Mod [.31]  (Read 1403 times)

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
Shadowclaimer's Civilizations Mod [.31]
« on: September 08, 2010, 10:19:11 am »

Well having typed this post and having it reset 3 times, I'm quite raging so I'll summarize this a lot easier. This mod started as a discussion with a friend of mine over how the variety of races could influence how Dwarf Fortress would play it, so we started listing races by the dozens and ended up with the list that I've developed thus far.

I made it my goal to implement every race on this list using a Base 5 Sphere system and set about creating a tileset for each one (based on Mayday's) eventually my hopes are to finish all these races and have them all mucking about causing chaos in your world.

All of these races will be playable with a simple choice of the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag.

I'll also take ideas for races or contributions to the sphere/ethics chart if you wish, I'm trying to avoid furry races (due to personal religious beliefs) but there may end up being a Tigerman and Bearman race. There's also been discussion of a Golem race.

Spreadsheet of Races:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ApPr023YHYR0dDl4NzNCUF9VMXhYTmNYVW1TQ19oZ0E&authkey=CK-dvcIL&hl=en#gid=0

Progress:
Dark Dwarves (Finished)
High Elves (90%)
Wood Elves (80%)

Downloads will be available when I have enough of them finished so that I am happy, probably around 4-5 of the races.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:56:27 am by Shadowclaimer »
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowclaimer's Civilizations Mod [.31]
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 03:59:04 pm »

That is quite a few new races. You gonna give them unique weapons and armor?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 04:28:26 pm »

Eh its farther down the list of things to do, but I might.

Weapons at the very least probably.

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 04:34:02 pm »

In that case, I'll be looking forward to completion. (Or even the first release)
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:38:47 pm »

Looks nice. I like the idea of undead cities. Would be cool if their tower/city/whatever was called a necropolis and was underground.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:43:51 pm »

Looks nice. I like the idea of undead cities. Would be cool if their tower/city/whatever was called a necropolis and was underground.

If I could do it with sites I intended to actually.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:49:49 pm »

If I could do it with sites I intended to actually.

Currently underground civilizations can't function properly, aside from tribes of cave men. Or so I've heard. I haven't actually tested it myself. I wonder if the item thief and child snatcher tags work with underground civilizations.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 04:51:50 pm »

I figure most of that won't work, so for now they'll just be simple aboveground civs.

I was really disappointed when I read I couldn't modify sites because I had a lot of things I wanted to do with them.

I figure if I go about doing custom armor/weapons it'll be by having each civilization with custom clothing setups (like the Desert humans the Almadhians wearing full turbans and facemasks) and then each race might get an "exotic" weapon type unique to them, either by archetype (IE: Dwarven Warhammer) or by individual race (IE: Dark Elven Kryss), not sure, I'm not too knowledgeable in creating items yet.

When it comes down to military units they'll probably use the base classes available.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 04:57:16 pm by Shadowclaimer »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 12:24:41 pm »

You might want to check out Civilization Forge. I've done a lot of stuff in it that you'll find useful as examples of how to make your mod.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 04:45:35 pm »

I volunteer too :). I have an exact desert race (ezrakim) you may want to look into, and Mephansteras has javas. It's really down to equipment when you want to personalize a civilization, other stuff is too "general".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 04:55:22 am »

I volunteer too :). I have an exact desert race (ezrakim) you may want to look into, and Mephansteras has javas. It's really down to equipment when you want to personalize a civilization, other stuff is too "general".

Well, it's down to what the players sees. At most, a player will see the physical traits of the creatures that invade or trade with you and whatever they are wearing.

They'll also see it in the languages and meanings of their names (I believe there is a good random language generator if you're not already doing that), and the entity positions of generals that come to siege you (did the Grand Vizier lead the siege last time? Did an ambush squad commanded by the Dark Elf Patriarch make off with some unlucky dwarven baby sacrifices for their evil gods?).

Nowadays, because people in worldgen tame wild animals, it's very difficult to control what beasts a culture will bring; if the rng wants them to, you can't really prevent desert folk from riding war tigers and giant cave bats into battle.

Ethics (do they all murder each other and practice cannibalism?) changes how they behave during worldgen as well, but not in a way that will substantially affect how you play Fortress or Adventure mode.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 09:05:33 am »

Care to link to that generator? That sounds awesome.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 09:36:51 am »

There are several, actually, but one of the more interesting ones is DFLang, which generates a new language based on input words (as opposed to from scratch, based on a set of rules). This allows you to make things which actually look like languages (although you won't be able to change the grammar or anything, of course).

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 03:09:18 pm »

There are several, actually, but one of the more interesting ones is DFLang, which generates a new language based on input words (as opposed to from scratch, based on a set of rules). This allows you to make things which actually look like languages (although you won't be able to change the grammar or anything, of course).

That's good enough for me, will make the Asian culture at least speak in a generally Asian language tone, as well as the Greeks, etc.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 03:17:34 pm »

And what about Spaniards? You aren't going to have any of them?
Pages: [1] 2