Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Above Ground Crops and Weird Embarks (unrelated)  (Read 1706 times)

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Above Ground Crops and Weird Embarks (unrelated)
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:26:11 am »

Are above ground crops bugged at the moment? It doesn't seem to matter what I do they just won't grow anything outdoors. I'e muddied, I've left un-muddied, I've used clay, silt, loam, and, sand, but my dwarves never get around to planting my blade weed or longland grass. I want emerald cloaks, dammit!

Also what's with the crazy embarks in .12? I just had to abandon a fortress in the coolest place ever because the starting FPS was too terrible on account of the flowing volcano slowly flooding the lowlands which included a giant adamantine pillar sticking out of the middle of the brook. Sad because I'd have loved to keep that pillar, and I was racking up the kills on Zombie Groundhogs.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Above Ground Crops and Weird Embarks (unrelated)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:33:17 am »

I have no problems growing above ground crops.
Maybe your grower isn't experienced enough?

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 05:38:57 am »

I have no problems growing above ground crops.
Maybe your grower isn't experienced enough?
That would be very weird. I didn't even try planting above group until I was 80+ pop and my grower had been tending crops for several years, on top of his six lackey planter/harvesters. I didn't even know that different crops required different experience levels since I used to be able to assign any dabbler to the job and away they'd go.

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 05:48:10 am »

I would use DFhack's fluid thingummy to put an obsidian plug on that volcano, until you were ready to channel into it's magma-ey goodness. Fix that FPS problem, and save the embark.

I don't think it's cheating at all to use something like that to combat a bug like an erupting volcano, no matter how cool it is.
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 07:03:37 am »

Well, they eventually started planting when I wasn't looking on this new fort.

As for plugging the volcano, I'm playing on OSX so no DFHack or Dwarf Therapist for me, sadly. DT in particular.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 07:26:25 am »

They obviously don't like to be watched at work. ;)

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 09:04:03 am »

Just give them time. If you have several hauling jobs to be done, and your farmer(s) have hauling enabled, they're liable to be doing that instead.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 10:10:42 am »

Are above ground crops bugged at the moment? It doesn't seem to matter what I do they just won't grow anything outdoors. I'e muddied, I've left un-muddied, I've used clay, silt, loam, and, sand, but my dwarves never get around to planting my blade weed or longland grass. I want emerald cloaks, dammit!

Also what's with the crazy embarks in .12? I just had to abandon a fortress in the coolest place ever because the starting FPS was too terrible on account of the flowing volcano slowly flooding the lowlands which included a giant adamantine pillar sticking out of the middle of the brook. Sad because I'd have loved to keep that pillar, and I was racking up the kills on Zombie Groundhogs.

Please post a Stonesense map shot of that embark, wow.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 01:09:02 pm »

First off, you need seeds in order to plant those plants. To get seeds, trade with elves or humans for above ground plants, above ground plant seeds or have a herbalist gather plants. Your dwarves will brew/eat plants allowing you to have seeds to plant.

Secondly: GEN DATA.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 01:28:36 pm »

I've been having an issue with aboveground crops on reclaim where it tells me I don't have seeds for aboveground farming, when I very clearly (according to the stocks screen) do. They're unforbidden, and there are a good 20 wild strawberry and prickle berry seeds I can't use.

More curiously, on the farm plots remaining from my first time around, my farmers are planting and harvesting as usual, using the same seeds as I can't use elsewhere, with the settings from before the fortress was lost for the first time.

BurningLed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 01:51:23 pm »

What's with the crazy embarks in .12? I just had to abandon a fortress in the coolest place ever because the starting FPS was too terrible on account of the flowing volcano slowly flooding the lowlands which included a giant adamantine pillar sticking out of the middle of the brook. Sad because I'd have loved to keep that pillar, and I was racking up the kills on Zombie Groundhogs.

Please post a Stonesense map shot of that embark, wow.

As for plugging the volcano, I'm playing on OSX so no DFHack or Dwarf Therapist for me, sadly. DT in particular.

:(
IIRC, 'overkill' is not a concept that exists in the dwarven psyche.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 02:33:15 pm »

I've been having an issue with aboveground crops on reclaim where it tells me I don't have seeds for aboveground farming, when I very clearly (according to the stocks screen) do. They're unforbidden, and there are a good 20 wild strawberry and prickle berry seeds I can't use.

More curiously, on the farm plots remaining from my first time around, my farmers are planting and harvesting as usual, using the same seeds as I can't use elsewhere, with the settings from before the fortress was lost for the first time.

There's a bug that hits many people (there are also reports of it not hitting some) that unmuddies the Caverns on Reclaims, maybe it also gets the surface? (This might explain why the bug also apparently prevents tree regrowth on the surface).

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 06:46:33 pm »

So, the fix is to flood the world with magma water?  ???
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 07:15:55 pm »

First off, you need seeds in order to plant those plants. To get seeds, trade with elves or humans for above ground plants, above ground plant seeds or have a herbalist gather plants. Your dwarves will brew/eat plants allowing you to have seeds to plant.

Secondly: GEN DATA.
The aboveground plants don't even show up until you've bought or gather-plants-d them I thought.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 10:56:07 pm »

So is everyone else just glossing over the comment about ANOTHER aboveground adamantine pillar? :o
Pages: [1] 2