Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dark Gnome Infestation! Over 30 in cages!  (Read 2435 times)

Bazalgette

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dark Gnome Infestation! Over 30 in cages!
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:25:40 am »

What are Dark Gnomes good for? I can't sell them, I can't butcher them, I can't tame them (without edits). Is it worth editing my file to allow for Dark Gnome taming? Would Dark Gnome squires to my dwarves even be useful, or should I try find other uses for them?

Dark Gnome arena battles? They have the [CAN_EQUIP] tag, but can they actually be given basic weapons if I add them to my fortress? How have you guys handled your Dark Gnome infestations?

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Gnome Infestation! Over 30 in cages!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:27:19 am »

With cussing and slaughter.

Bazalgette

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 05:36:46 am »

That reminds me that I forgot to mention: I have over thirty of the buggers in cages and I'm not sure what to do with them. Zoo?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 05:41:30 am »

Usually they get killed by ma weapon traps while trying to enter my fortress...
maybe you should lock them into a room with a stockpile full of gnomeblight and then release them from their cages?

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 05:41:59 am »

That reminds me that I forgot to mention: I have over thirty of the buggers in cages and I'm not sure what to do with them. Zoo?
Keep the named ones (if any) for a zoo. Send the rest into the arena.

But that brings up a question: earlier today I sent my dorfs to move a werewolf into the arena, but the buggers went to the stockpile, let it out of the cage, then tried to bring just the cage to the arena. What gives?

Bazalgette

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 05:44:35 am »

But that brings up a question: earlier today I sent my dorfs to move a werewolf into the arena, but the buggers went to the stockpile, let it out of the cage, then tried to bring just the cage to the arena. What gives?

That happens when I try to sell them. I once had one of those gibbering oozes from the caverns valued at 1000 or so. Tried to sell it, ended up just bringing the cage to the merchants and letting the thing loose to cause havoc. How did you move your werewolf? Dump?

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:48:40 am »

That happens when I try to sell them. I once had one of those gibbering oozes from the caverns valued at 1000 or so. Tried to sell it, ended up just bringing the cage to the merchants and letting the thing loose to cause havoc. How did you move your werewolf? Dump?
Hum, I might have tried to sell the werewolf instead of the grizzly bears. Normally I move the cage by uilding a ca[j]e so I can hook a lever up to let the occupant out.

Bazalgette

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:52:14 am »

I think you may have accidentally tried to sell him, yeah. Building the ca[j]e and attaching a lever to them should still work. Works for me still.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 12:27:00 pm »

-Dark gnome roasts- for everyone!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 01:49:49 pm »

Labyrinth. Make a maze. Throw the gnomes down there, then any goblins/elves/animals/nobles.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 01:54:37 pm »

Build a computer.  When released from their cages the gnomes will try to leave the map by the shortest path possible.  You can use an intricate system of pressure plates triggering floor hatches and doors, in which each gnome is constantly trying to leave the map only to find the path shifting, leaving them in circles, and their movement through the mazes can be used to implement timers, logic gates, and memory cells.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 02:01:49 pm »

Naw, DF enemies now stop firing off new pathing attempts after awhile. I lose about half of my FPS from, say, a really mean thing walled off just before it was going to vaporize my fort, but after about a minute it gives up and my framerate goes back to roughly normal.

And yeah, it will happen in the computing path sort of situation as well. Just try to build a repeater if you really must check.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 02:06:30 pm »

Shove them all outside, link all their cages to a single lever, then pull it the next time a siege comes. They probably won't accomplish anything, but they will at least make the crossbow men waste some of their arrows. This is how I solved my undead problem.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 05:14:57 pm »

Shove them all outside, link all their cages to a single lever, then pull it the next time a siege comes. They probably won't accomplish anything, but they will at least make the crossbow men waste some of their arrows. This is how I solved my undead problem.

I had a pile of dark gnomes caught in cages also.  I tried to pit them outside my fortress for similar reasons (makes ranged invaders use up their ammo trying to kill all the critters in the pit).  My dwarves were dragging them outside to chuck em in, but dogs killed them all before they could get pitted.  I'm not sure if my military would have had the same reaction had they seen the animal hauler with a pest like that.

So now if I catch some, I either bung em down the chute to the barracks or toss em in some nearby lava.  If I see an incoming swarm before they get inside, I send my military running around after them.  Little buggers sure can run fast.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 05:18:39 pm »

I had a pile of dark gnomes caught in cages also.  I tried to pit them outside my fortress for similar reasons (makes ranged invaders use up their ammo trying to kill all the critters in the pit).  My dwarves were dragging them outside to chuck em in, but dogs killed them all before they could get pitted.  I'm not sure if my military would have had the same reaction had they seen the animal hauler with a pest like that.

So now if I catch some, I either bung em down the chute to the barracks or toss em in some nearby lava.  If I see an incoming swarm before they get inside, I send my military running around after them.  Little buggers sure can run fast.
You should try leaving them in the cages next time. Just build all their cages outside, then link them up to a single lever. Pull the lever when the invaders get close to the cages.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: [1] 2