Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How many of you have done this in a town?  (Read 3596 times)

NerfJihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How many of you have done this in a town?
« on: September 08, 2010, 02:54:17 am »

http://senorgif.com/2010/08/01/funny-gifs-holy-jacket-of-smite/

Legendary Dwarven Lawyer: He'll slap you with a suit.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: How many of you have done this in a town?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 02:50:42 pm »

if you can edit him to be holding a gaint scorpions claw, yes
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

MightyJAK

• Bay Watcher
  • MightyJAK makes his own gravy.
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress DONE countdown
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:22:56 pm »

Not me, and not in a town, but something like that. My first time playing I made a 'pocket island' world (no mountains, only 4 towns, all human, Adventure mode only) with 1 cave, 1 hydra, and a few forgotten beasts running around underground. Of course my first task was to slay the hydra. Of course I was ill-prepared and got pwnt by a wolf. This now-named wolf proceeded to get devoured by the hydra, along with my 2nd ill-prepared adventurer. Next I decided to take it easier, acquire some companions, and hopefully take an easier task to beef up my skills before going after the hydra. The good news: my target was a human criminal. The bad news: he was hiding in the same cave the hydra lived in. The few wolves and and cougars I had slaughtered while wandering around had already raised my combat skills to superhuman levels, so I decided to go for it.

As I approached the cave, I saw an announcement about one of the hydra's noses being bitten off and spit out. This worried me a bit, but I continued on. A few levels into the cave, I find the corpses of the hydra and the human criminal I had be tasked to slay. Standing over them was their killer: a gopher brute. I checked its inventory and saw it was holding a coat. Viewing the coat's description showed that it had belonged to the human, and had been used to slay the hydra. Yes, the gopher brute had killed the human, stole his coat, and used to to bludgeon the hydra to death.  :o  It then tried to do the same to me, but my more conventional weapons won the fight.

I DID take that coat back with me, so I just might try this out myself.. :D
Quote from: Toady One
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
Quote from: Demon
But when will the game be done!?
Eight years.
So Dwarf Fortress will be done on Friday, September 14, 2012.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 01:43:58 pm »

I DID take that coat back with me, so I just might try this out myself.. :D
With such a coat, there are no limits. The world is yours.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 05:35:22 pm »

THIS COAT WAS STOLEN FROM ARMOK. HE DEMANDS YOU RETURN IT. (Put it on a goblin and drown him in magma. That is the fastest way.)
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:59:59 pm »

Wait, so are the kills listed not on weapons only?

That's awesome. Now I need to make some ridiculous item with a longest kill list :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 01:47:40 am »

I had 100 odd kills with a barrel of dwarven blood.
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 02:54:16 pm »

On a similar note, do your hands get the kills, or do your fingers? Or does it depend on how you strangle them?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 11:47:27 am »

thats an interesting question cause I am about to create a monk style adventurer and see what happens lol

MightyJAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 04:11:48 pm »

Wait, so are the kills listed not on weapons only?

Weapons, misc. items, and ammunition (if you shoot and kill a creature and the ammo remains intact (you see the "stuck in" message right before the "has been shot and killed" message) the kill gets listed on the bow/crossbow AND the arrow/bolt).

Ah, it's been awhile since I've played vanilla DF (been busy with your Genesis mod) so I misremembered some details, it seems that gopher killed the hydra first, then coat's human owner.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On a similar note, do your hands get the kills, or do your fingers? Or does it depend on how you strangle them?
AFAIK, the kills are just attributed to you, not any particular body part. Unless that part happens to have been separated from your body at the time you scored the kill.  :P
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
Eight years.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 08:53:11 pm »

Next I decided to take it easier, acquire some companions, and hopefully take an easier task to beef up my skills before going after the hydra. The good news: my target was a human criminal.

A quest to kill a human hiding at a cave? I didn't know this could happen.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 08:34:49 pm »

Ok, I gotto go try this.  I already have this outrageous charachter going that collects skulls and needs a crutch because a hydra bit him in the foot and severed some nerves.  I've got 200+ kills on my copper dagger "Lady McUrist" (unofficial name) so Now I'll switch over to the crutch and see if I can't get some kills on that.  I won't stop using wierd items until I reach Legendary misc. object user!  8)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

MightyJAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 02:41:42 pm »

Sorry for this ancient bump, but I've been away (offline) for a while and thought this deserved an answer.
Next I decided to take it easier, acquire some companions, and hopefully take an easier task to beef up my skills before going after the hydra. The good news: my target was a human criminal.

A quest to kill a human hiding at a cave? I didn't know this could happen.
Some backstory: I kinda accidentally destroyed one of the human civilizations. This was pre-0.31.13 (actually 0.31.02 IIRC) so it had the old "meadhall"-style towns. I got a quest to kill the town's demon lawgiver. I knew enough to bring a companion from a different civ to avoid a loyalty backlash the second I attacked the demon, and to attack at night to hopefully kill the demon while it (and its human followers) slept. By the time I found the Demon's house it was nearly dawn, but I thought I might be able to kill it before the rest of the town woke up. Unfortunately the demon did not go down easily, and my axeman companion decided to park himself in the doorway during the fight, giving the town's earlybirds a full view of what was going on. So after the demon was dead the axeman went on a rampage, killing everone in town, even those who hadn't attacked him (including children still sleeping in their beds, WTF). By the time he was finally taken down, the town's leaders and over half of the populace was dead. Coming back with a later adventurer I found the town completely deserted. Going for quests at other towns I found that the survivors had taken up residence in the cave and surrounding towns, and they had all been marked as criminals for attacking my previous adventurer and his companion.

A side note: that previous adventurer did not meet his fate at the hands of pissed-off townsfolk, but because he (I) stupidly tried to haul away the demon's corpse. I was not yet familiar with the concept of "weight" (this was before carrying heavy objects decreased an adventurer's speed), so I did not notice anything was wrong until I suddenly lost the ability to walk, and even then I thought the resulting rot in my legs and spine was caused by a syndrome of the demon's blood soaking through my backpack and dripping down my back. I tossed off my backpack and tried to crawl away, and while I did escape the townies' attention (mostly thanks to the axeman drawing all the attention to himself), I ended up dying in the outskirts of town from a combination of infection and blood loss.
Eight years.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 03:04:19 pm »

http://senorgif.com/2010/08/01/funny-gifs-holy-jacket-of-smite/

Legendary Dwarven Lawyer: He'll slap you with a suit.

This is the kind of guy my grandmother watches on the TV and swears is actually "weilding the sword of Christ" when he does this.

Which is funny, cause it looks to me like he's hitting people with a coat, and they're faffing about on the ground afterwards.  Then taking their money and buying a new car while "blessing Jesus's mercy" the whole time to the bank.

So no, I don't do this.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 03:54:28 pm »

So, in 40d weight didn't decrease your speed, but enough of it would just destroy your legs?
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."
Pages: [1] 2