Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vermin Hunters  (Read 1610 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vermin Hunters
« on: September 08, 2010, 02:18:18 am »

Do any other animals besides cats provide vermin-hunting services?  Can I run a cat-free fortress by using raccoons or foxes instead?  Or giant leopards?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vermin Hunters
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 02:21:26 am »

No.

Random extra content: Vermin-hunting creatures that have to eat can only eat vermin. Verminhunter civs are not a good idea.

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 02:46:43 am »

If your goal is to avoid cats, an alternative way of getting rid of vermin is with animal trappers. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Trapper

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 03:44:11 am »

Can you then transform them into food, or will you end up with just a bunch of TAME vermin running around everywhere?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:59:46 am »

As the page states, a captured vermin will be eaten immediately by a passing hungry dwarf. The issue isn't having too many tame vermin; it's getting the chance to tame them in the first place.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:24:56 am »

So if you never bother to empty your traps, then hungry dwarfs will do it for you?
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:45:41 am »

I actually just was trying to do something with trapping and I never saw anyone eat a captured vermin, despite letting them intentionally get low on food.  Is there a trick to that?  Maybe I'll give it another try with a much larger stock of animal traps, I had built about 15 and then was periodically putting them into a cage once they were caught.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 10:06:43 am »

I've had dwarves go to the vermin stockpile, which was quite out of the way of both the dining room and food stockpiles, grab a rat or a cockroach, and take it to the dining room to eat it. Just has to do with the dwarf's personality, would be my guess.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 10:32:57 am »

Sounds like I should have been leaving them in the traps rather than putting them in built cages.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 10:51:27 am »

As the page states, a captured vermin will be eaten immediately by a passing hungry dwarf. The issue isn't having too many tame vermin; it's getting the chance to tame them in the first place.
This bug has been fixed in DF2010.  Captured vermin will now only be eaten as a last resort by a starving dwarf.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 02:09:18 pm »

Can captured vermin be butchered?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 02:17:57 pm »

Can captured vermin be butchered?
No.  Dwarves will eat them raw if they're starving, and not be happy about it.

A few vermin, such as fire snakes and moghoppers, can be processed for extract by a dwarf with the Animal Dissector or Fish Dissector skill.  The vermin does not survive the process.  I have this mental image of a dwarf taking a fire snake and wringing it out over a barrel like wringing the water out of a wet towel.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 02:33:14 pm »

So it isn't quite the backbone utility skill like hunting is then, that's a shame, it sounded nifty.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 02:44:51 pm »

Do any other animals besides cats provide vermin-hunting services?  Can I run a cat-free fortress by using raccoons or foxes instead?  Or giant leopards?

You could add the [VERMINHUNTER] tag to a creature's raws to make them hunt vermin. However, you should know this makes the animal adopt owners like cats do. So if you're reason for wanting to not use cats was because of this, you're out of luck.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 02:51:23 pm »

I was under the impression that this was fixed. I'll try to find a reference.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2