Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Annoying Bug?  (Read 1130 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Annoying Bug?
« on: September 08, 2010, 01:04:23 am »

I saved so I could play DF after a small break. When I reloaded the game, my military dropped their weapons and armor. I checked the squad commands and they were ordered to kill a gobbo spearman that I had never seen, as there had not been any incursions on my glorious fortress. Once I dropped the kill order, the five of them  dropped their military post.

Does this happen often?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Annoying Bug?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 02:43:59 pm »

Of all the crazy nonsensical military-related bugs i've run into, this is actually new to me.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 03:27:10 pm »

The game probably got mad at me for making a solid gold road and copious amounts of steel before my second year.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 03:50:54 pm »

Success is generally punished.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:13:15 pm »

Did you play a different file in between?

I've had dwarves who got confused and started flickering in and out of dimensions, joining and leaving squads which didn't exist and having sudden berserk urges to kill monsters which were never born.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 04:31:42 pm by Gearheart »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:27:10 pm »

Nope. I saved, went out for a bit, came back, loaded it up, then that happened.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:08:34 pm »

I may have had something similar happen a few times.   I don't know the circumstances because it's only happened like three or four times amongst many many hours of game time.  For whatever reason, changing schedules, altering equipment, whatever, I will go to the military personnel screen and find one of the positions unexpectedly listed as AVAILABLE, but the dwarf who is supposed to inhabit that position is not listed on the unassigned dwarves list.  I can go to another squad, reassign him to that squad, then go back to his original squad and steal him back.  But until I do that, he acts as if he's actually left the squad, although he seems to be assigned in some kind of phantom zone. 

There's another thing that I don't actually consider a bug.  If you have your military on an alert like "Train", then override that with a specific order like "kill" or "station", when you cancel the order, they will drop off duty for a few moments before going back to their alert level.  Mine don't actually drop their armor but they give me the "so and so has become a [civilian job]" and then a few moments later "so and so has become an Axedwarf" messages and go back on duty.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:59:15 pm »

Well when you cancel kill orders they usually go to their inactive schedule. Was it that or did they really quit?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 07:09:15 pm »

Well when you cancel kill orders they usually go to their inactive schedule. Was it that or did they really quit?

No, they really go back to their civvies. I find it quite annoying, as invariably dwarves will either be unhappy about the draft or they will be unhappy about being relieved from duty, depending on their skill level. Surefire recipe for fun