Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Broken Artifact Halberd?  (Read 1873 times)

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Broken Artifact Halberd?
« on: September 08, 2010, 12:25:03 am »

Soo, long story short, some guy made an Adamantine Halberd worth 2.2 million dwarfthingers. So i hired a sucker new recruit to lead my military swinging it around...only he won't pick it up.

In fact, nobody will. Nobody will even put it in the weapon stockpile. It acts like it's forbidden or owned, but it's not forbidden and artifacts can't be owned to begin with, right?

tldr = Is there any way to fix this thing? It's pretty cool so I really hate to let it lay under a forge for some jerk adventurer to pick up once my fort eventually falls.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Artifact Halberd?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 12:36:44 am »

Soo, long story short, some guy made an Adamantine Halberd worth 2.2 million dwarfthingers. So i hired a sucker new recruit to lead my military swinging it around...only he won't pick it up.

In fact, nobody will. Nobody will even put it in the weapon stockpile. It acts like it's forbidden or owned, but it's not forbidden and artifacts can't be owned to begin with, right?

tldr = Is there any way to fix this thing? It's pretty cool so I really hate to let it lay under a forge for some jerk adventurer to pick up once my fort eventually falls.

It's most likely too big for your dorfs to use. AFAIK, Halberds are human-size weapons that dorfs can't use by default.
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 12:39:17 am »

I'll try having him take his shield off, i guess.

If that doesn't work then i'll just cry a river.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 12:41:29 am »

I believe Polearms are too large to be used by Dwarves, & Halberds aren't on their Vanilla weapons list.  :(

Something you could try, I don't know if it works if done post embark (or if it will work at all since weapons apparently have a "Size" value & a Halberd probably exceeds the size range usable by Dwarfs), would be to edit <Savegame>\raw\obects\default_entity.txt & insert "[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HALBERD]" into the Dwarven allowed weapons list.

If that feels to much like cheating, build it into a weapon trap in some room that you want to make your dwarves happy, like a bedroom or the dining hall or something (AFAICT this adds it to the Architectural value of the room).

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 12:51:48 am »

Got it working, all I had to do was edit the minimum size, it(and a lot of human-used weapons, apparently) was set to 62500. Dropped it to 5000 like spears and he grabbed it just fine.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 02:09:51 am »

I'm fairly sure really large dwarves can actually use human weapons without modding, but it's uncommon. I don't think they can use human two-handed weapons at all without modding, though.

/explanation
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 08:44:20 am »

The two-handed usage isnt related to whether they can use it at all or not, only minsize is.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 08:53:50 am »

were you telling him to equip the specific weapon???
And isn't there a toggle in the Equipment screen that allows for using things with two hands...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:34:11 am »

Got it working, all I had to do was edit the minimum size, it(and a lot of human-used weapons, apparently) was set to 62500. Dropped it to 5000 like spears and he grabbed it just fine.
A halberd that has the size of 12,5 spears?  :o That's insane.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 09:42:05 am »

Yeah, it sounds like something is wrong with that number. It should be larger than a spear, but not 12.5 times the size...

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:56:26 am »

That number is there so cave creatures can use it. I think it even says so in a note behind the size tag.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 09:57:43 am »

Maybe it was a halBIRD, you know a halberd intended to hit birds at the top of their flight?

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 10:32:58 am »

i thought only legenday dwarf could use artifacts (40d)
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 01:56:26 pm »

i thought only legenday dwarf could use artifacts (40d)

In 40D normal dwarfs can too. I still play 40D so :P
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 02:26:08 pm »

Sorry, i should have clarified.

Halberds have a size of 1200, i think, whereas spears have a size of 400.

The minimum size of the creature wielding it has to be 62500 without editting it. Dwarves are 60000, so nobody could even pick the thing up to move it to a stockpile, it just sat there.

I just changed the numbers to what spears use, which is 400 size, 47500 min size to equip, i think 52500 for two handed but i'd have to look to be sure.

Also i don't know anything about 40d, never played it, but in 2010 anyone can do anything with artifact stuff, except own or trade it.
Pages: [1] 2