Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave Trees = Trees to elves??  (Read 825 times)

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
Cave Trees = Trees to elves??
« on: September 08, 2010, 12:04:12 am »

Do the sources of wood that grow in caves count as tree's to the elves for purposes of diplomacy? I understand that a Towercap is in fact a mushroom. However, we all know how smart the elves are.

quinntan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave Trees = Trees to elves??
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 12:21:05 am »

Yeah they're considered "trees."

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 12:23:34 am »

Yeah they're considered "trees."

Stupid elves...

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 12:43:55 am »

Pretty sure the dwarves consider them trees too...

I mean, would you normally cut a Mushroom into Logs?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:39:07 am »

AT least they donīt count your use of imported wood towards your cutting trees limit :D

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:54:42 am »

It may not be 100% hard coded, but as far as I've seen, if you just don't cut down any trees at all, then the elves and humans bring TONS of wood for trade, and at 3 per, it's essentially free.  Past the first year or so you don't really need wood for anything but beds anyway, if you hurry up and get your metal industry going.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 08:24:36 am »

It may not be 100% hard coded, but as far as I've seen, if you just don't cut down any trees at all, then the elves and humans bring TONS of wood for trade, and at 3 per, it's essentially free.  Past the first year or so you don't really need wood for anything but beds anyway, if you hurry up and get your metal industry going.

Wood brought by caravans is based entirely on the number of unforbidden logs in your fortress, even ones that are used in the construction of water wheels and axles. Thus, if you go into Z-Stocks and forbid every log in your fortress just before the caravan arrives, it'll bring lots and lots of cheap logs.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 09:23:01 pm »

Why would you even listen to their tree limit? If you don't they siege you, with wooden weapons and armor! All that means is they'll get sad and beg you not to kill them. But you will anyway, out of principle.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".