Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mining Dwarfs refusing to mine  (Read 386 times)

lifayt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mining Dwarfs refusing to mine
« on: September 07, 2010, 07:32:40 pm »

I have 3 miners at legendary and I have several areas designated to mine, however they all bum around "on break" and one of them is actually farming instead of mining. Is there any way i can make them mine?

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mining Dwarfs refusing to mine
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:37:51 pm »

Make sure some other noob hasn't taken their picks, and there are picks in the first place.

Make sure they aren't assigned to a burrow by mistake.

Turn off dumb labors, like anything that isn't mining.  DwarfTherapist or something of that ilk is almost essential.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:39:15 pm »

The one that's "On Break" won't do any work until his break is over.  This could take a couple weeks, game time.  You used to be able to work around it by drafting and then un-drafting them in 40d, but I don't think that works in 0.31.x.

The one that's farming may have simply decided that the farming is more important right now.  You can (temporarily or permanently) turn off his farming labor(s) if you want him to refocus.

The one that's doing nothing (does it say "No job"?) might simply be a bit sluggish to begin work, or he might not have a pick.  Check his inventory.  Try forging another pick if he doesn't have one.  Or if there are unclaimed picks that you think he should be picking up, try disabling and re-enabling the Mining labor.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

lifayt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 07:40:56 pm »

Ah, they were just on break for an inordinate amount of time

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:50:44 pm »

Something that will change your entire perception of the game - as soon as you get a little suitable metal, e.g. copper, make a ton of picks and have 50 miners available.

1computerbubba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 02:15:39 pm »

"and one of them is actually farming instead of mining."

Even with the farming labor turned off there is an order under the (o)rders menu that will stop your dwarves from farming.

It says something to the effect of "All dwarves harvest"
Toggle this to just have the farmers farm.

Kinda similar to any one taking stuff to the trade depot even if they have the hauling labors removed.

-CB