Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Worst Forgotten Beasts EVER  (Read 6134 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Worst Forgotten Beasts EVER
« on: September 07, 2010, 06:07:05 pm »

I shouldn't complain since it kept my fortress alive, but I have found what may well be the two most pathetic Forgotten Beasts/Titans ever.

Fepa Cethapelese Aveyemeni, Marsh Titan: A towering blob composed of mud.  It has wings and it has a regal bearing.  Beware its webs!

Fepa went down to a kick from a mule, after the two did this amusing little dance for a month or two where the blob would harmlessly push the mule and the mule would harmlessly push it right back.  It had a body and wings, nothing else.

Ugeth, a Forgotten Beast: A gigantic blob composed of vomit.  It has a stubby tail and it has a bloated body.  Beware its deadly dust!

This thing was only slightly less pathetic, but it still got waxed quick by the local batman tribe in the caves.  It didn't even injure one of said batmen.  Then again, it should have had enough sense not to tangle with the batman.
Sanity is for the weak.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Forgotten Beasts EVER
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:08:15 pm »

Its deadly dust is probably wiping out those batmen at this very moment.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 06:23:57 pm »

I had a forgotten beast made of water.  It got killed by a cave crocodile.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 06:24:26 pm »

i once had a forgotten beast, dont remember what it was, that fought the cave swallow men in the caverns for, literally, years. not so much pathetic as funny.
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 06:36:32 pm »

I had a forgotten beast that fought a pet dog for two years, in a stalemate of glancing blows until the beast charged and rammed into a wall one too many times and died.

AzureAngelic

• Bay Watcher
  • is waiting for dwarves to invent large blenders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 06:58:52 pm »

My fortress is being plagued by a fire-breathing snowball.

I'm not kidding.
Urist McFodder cancels Breathe: Interrupted by Goblin.
Urist McAwesome unleashes the magma floods!
Gobbo Steve cancels Attack: Interrupted by Lava.
Lava cancels Kill Goblin: Interruped by Fungiwood.
Urist McAwesome cancels Live: Taken by depression.
Urist McAwesome has perished in lava.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 07:31:11 pm »

I shouldn't complain since it kept my fortress alive, but I have found what may well be the two most pathetic Forgotten Beasts/Titans ever.

Fepa Cethapelese Aveyemeni, Marsh Titan: A towering blob composed of mud.  It has wings and it has a regal bearing.  Beware its webs!

Fepa went down to a kick from a mule, after the two did this amusing little dance for a month or two where the blob would harmlessly push the mule and the mule would harmlessly push it right back.  It had a body and wings, nothing else.

Did it ever even try webbing the mule?

I'm just curious as to whether or not there's actually such a thing as Forgotten Beast/Titan silk thread.

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 07:42:14 pm »

I had a beast that decided to bust down some doors!  Which were holding back the magma in my pump stack...

Didn't hurt my fortress any, just the beast.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 08:50:06 pm »

I've been throwing kittens into the caverns to explore them and give advance warning of forgotten monsters and other cavern inhabitants.

In a recent fortress, I had a six legged quadruped (don't blame me, I didn't make it up) made of mud attack a kitten .. and loose.  It kicked the kitten harmlessly until the kitten eventually got mad and scratched it, at which point the mud beast retreated to the underground lake to sulk.  Once its wounds were healed it advanced again to attack the kitten, and again was defeated.  This repeated for years until a more competent forgotten beast showed up and finished the kitten (now housecat) off.

The harmless mud forgotten beast eventually got killed by something else, I don't know what as it happened while I wasn't watching, and I couldn't find any record in the combat logs of it fighting anything else.  I suppose it's possible the kitten injured it badly enough that it died of its wounds later.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 08:50:11 pm »

Snow Blob that breaths fire. I am sure you can imagine what happens next.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 09:02:18 pm »

Did it ever even try webbing the mule?

I'm just curious as to whether or not there's actually such a thing as Forgotten Beast/Titan silk thread.

It did not.  Remember, it had no mouth; it was just a blob with wings.  Its one defining trait could not actually be used as a result.
Sanity is for the weak.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 09:04:32 pm »

My worst was a water humanoid that died when a swordsdwarf sneezed at it.

Not literally, but it might as well have been :/
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 09:40:41 pm »

Forgotten Beasts are missing special tags that specify that they can shoot web, and that the web is actually composed of something. So no. No Forgotten Beast silk. Yet.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 09:54:06 pm »

I remember setting up a massive defense against a FB that sounded formidable but ended up getting ripped in half by a single crossbow bolt, fired by a total noob.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 02:55:43 pm »

i once had a forgotten beast, dont remember what it was, that fought the cave swallow men in the caverns for, literally, years. not so much pathetic as funny.
I had one like that. I assumed that it was just not very powerful but the real issue was that some of the cave-guys had lucked out enough to not get torn up quickly and got gobs of combat experience. My full army finally showed up to try and exterminate the remainders and was rapidly obliterated.

Of course this was one of my earliest FBs so I didn't even get how to read the combat reports yet.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: [1] 2