Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Best Boardgames  (Read 3419 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Boardgames
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 09:30:00 pm »

Not really a board game, but THE game a screwing over your friend is called 1000 Blank White Cards. A huge crack up to play, even more fun to replay.

I think Stupid Duel is far and away better.

Zombies!!! is really pretty fun, but I have only played 2 player mode. http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/zombies/
Its a fairly short survival horror game with tiles and dinky plastic models, but this also has cards and you can get screwed with them. Good times.

Try Dead of Night. It can take awhile just doing zombie movement, but it's less dicey.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 09:34:24 pm »

Betrayal at House on the Hill is a great game. My roomies and I play a lot of it.

Good luck finding it for a fair price, though.

2nd Edition will probably be affordable.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 09:39:45 pm »

I have personally been enjoying the Battlestar Galactica boardgame. There's probably an ongoing game of it on Something Awful if anyone's up in the air about it.

Of course, it's better if you've watched the show.

But even if you haven't, it kind of plays as a hybrid between Mafia (some characters covertly work against the others), Axis/Allies (There is a big battle going on, everyone is on the same side for the most part), and a... not tower, but just "defence" game (Swarms of dudes come after you, you need to blow them up, while also protecting yourself from internal threats).
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 09:41:33 pm »

I have personally been enjoying the Battlestar Galactica boardgame. There's probably an ongoing game of it on Something Awful if anyone's up in the air about it.

Of course, it's better if you've watched the show.

But even if you haven't, it kind of plays as a hybrid between Mafia (some characters covertly work against the others), Axis/Allies (There is a big battle going on, everyone is on the same side for the most part), and a... not tower, but just "defence" game (Swarms of dudes come after you, you need to blow them up, while also protecting yourself from internal threats).

Fuck yeah, best game.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 09:53:09 pm »

Acquire.

That game was so addictive... I still have my box from the fifties or sixties or something.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 10:14:34 pm »

I have a deep well of nostalgia that I drink from regularly.

Yes, Fireball Island. A game for 7 year olds that teaches you the quickest path to victory is through your best friends. I loved that game! Every turn you had a choice: try to move closer to the win, or **** someone over. Getting to be the one to shoot the fireball out of the Idol was awesome. Stealing the ruby from another player and replacing it with a fraud: awesome. Cock-blocking them 3 spaces from the docks? AWESOME.

It also had the most beautifully pressed 3-d game board. That's what got me as a kid. The game board was literally a 3d island with ravines and river valleys for the fireballs to travel down.

It's funny. It's those games for little kids, the ones that are really competitive, where my friends and I can play it without getting heated. Not so much with other competitive board games. But when the core of a game is a giant fireball spitting idol, people come in expecting to get reemed.

this looks FUN, and i don't mean the board game.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:16:45 pm by ductape »
I got nothing

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 11:00:47 pm »

Dead of Night.

Nice, I will pick that up around the holidays.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 11:02:51 pm »

I'd like to beautifully press her 3d game board if you know what I mean.
Shoes...

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 11:06:33 pm »

Talking about her glasses..right?
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 11:09:55 pm »

No, her boobs.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 11:24:01 pm »

I could watch a Fireball roll down those mountain slopes all day....

Seriously, tits and my favorite board games, two great tastes that taste great together.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 02:04:04 am »

Stratego

Lovely game. I had Ultimate Stratego growing up, which had a flippable board for 4 player wars. Those were such fun.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 02:22:38 am »

inb4 Vector says shame on you guys.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 02:31:08 am »

*Picture*

Jeezus you guys are such Nerds!
...though I'll admit, she is rather attractive.

Hmmm, I rather like Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Up to 6 players explore a procedurally generated Mansion, arming themselves with tools and artifacts, while dodging hazards and fell curses... at least until The Haunt happens. It's the Haunt which defines the game's goal, the real challenges, and the enemy (it's different every playthrough). A random player (or players) become the enemy, gaining unique powers and a secret objective (usually at the player's expense). The remaining players seek to thwart them, escape the mansion, or complete some other goal that they know, but their enemy doesn't. It's excellent for groups of 4-6 who like strategy games, horror, and inter-player intrigue.

I love it, because it's a different game every time you play it. On the down side, I believe you need a Moderator to run it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:33:23 am by Solifuge »

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 02:35:44 am »

Twilight Imperium.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4