Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Encrust Ammo...Why?  (Read 1612 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Encrust Ammo...Why?
« on: September 07, 2010, 04:51:07 pm »

I recently decided that it would be grand to encrust all my dwarve's weapons with emeralds.  Unfortunately, the option to encrust weapons does not appear in the jeweler's workshop, only...Encrust Ammo?

...Why would anybody waste gemstones on ammunition? Can you actually improve the functionality of ammo by encrusting it?  Can you make diamond-tipped crossbow bolts?  Does adding stuff to a bolt increase its mass and thus its penetration power and damage?

I can imagine training up a jeweler this way, but is the ammo actually improved somehow?  Also, can a single item be decorated more than once?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Encrust Ammo...Why?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:53:55 pm »

I recently decided that it would be grand to encrust all my dwarve's weapons with emeralds.  Unfortunately, the option to encrust weapons does not appear in the jeweler's workshop, only...Encrust Ammo?

...Why would anybody waste gemstones on ammunition? Can you actually improve the functionality of ammo by encrusting it?  Can you make diamond-tipped crossbow bolts?  Does adding stuff to a bolt increase its mass and thus its penetration power and damage?

I can imagine training up a jeweler this way, but is the ammo actually improved somehow?  Also, can a single item be decorated more than once?

Because nothing says GTFO of my fort like a diamond crusted bolt bristling with carved whale bone.

Though your theory about increased mass may have merit. We must perform commit science!

Also, yes an item can be decorated more than once. However as far as i know not in the same manner. For instance it could be decorated with gems THEN a metal icon of some sort.

Though i can not speak with much authority on this as i rarely bother decorating anything but statues and furniture. The only time ive seen multi-decorated items is from moods.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 04:56:52 pm by K4el »

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 05:00:08 pm »

I am intrigued by the possiblity now of creating fancy super heavy death-bolts.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Ahp77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:18:37 pm »

I'm pretty sure that tips have no weight, and that some of us use bolts as a quick export.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 05:20:28 pm »

And you can create it as ultimate humilitation to the victim/s of your bolt/s...
imagine a goblin elite archer,
killed by a bolt made out of goblin bone, menacing with spikes of goblin bone, adorned with goblin bone trinkets
and with an engraving made out of goblin bone on it, which displays the killing of some goblin in a previous goblin siege

:D

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 07:06:35 pm »

Thx i was going to waste my time trying this,i thought it might do weapons also.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 08:02:09 pm »

With furniture at least, you can add one of each kind of cut gem that you have.  You could have a cabinet that menaces with spikes of diamond, is encrusted with moss opals, and has an image of Urist McSplat in ruby, detailing the killing of the dwarf Urist McSplat by the Mountain Titan Big McLargeHuge in 352.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 10:03:52 pm »

While I haven't done it recently, I seem to remember reading that encrusted stacks of bolts are value multiplied by the number of bolts.
So you can have huge, exploity value ammunition for export.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 12:46:25 am »

While I haven't done it recently, I seem to remember reading that encrusted stacks of bolts are value multiplied by the number of bolts.
So you can have huge, exploity value ammunition for export.

This is the only practical reason.  If you want something to sell for a lot of dorfbucks or want something to increase your created wealth, it is something that can work quite well at doing that.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 12:49:39 am »

The enormous value on a decorated ammo stack was a bug that was fixed back in the 40d days.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:00:24 am by Bognor »

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 01:16:13 am »

It is so easy to create wealth for trading through simple dwarven labor (bone-crafters = garbage disposal) that I see no reason to try to create some sort of "enhanced" way of making trade goods.

If however there were a way to make ammunition DEADLIER, then I'm interested.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 01:59:30 am »

I sm pretty shore that you can mod in encrusting weapons.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 02:01:53 am »

imagine a goblin elite archer,
shot by a bolt made out of goblin bone, menacing with spikes of goblin bone, adorned with goblin bone trinkets
and with an engraving made out of goblin bone on it, which displays the killing of some goblin in a previous goblin siege
.. and let that goblin flee with that bolt stuck in the wound to warn his kins about their destiny! Hahaha!!!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 03:50:22 am »

Lol.

So the gobbos come-a-siegeing our glorious forts, hoping to steal our wealth. I'd love to see their faces when we shoot our wealth at them.

Corambis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 09:45:47 am »

If one of your dwarves is shot with some encrusted ammo, do they receive a happy thought?
Pages: [1] 2