Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d - Making creatures breedable  (Read 449 times)

Mungus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
40d - Making creatures breedable
« on: September 07, 2010, 04:12:29 pm »

<PLAYING VERSION 40d>

I'm working on a fort on a map that might turn out to be kinda boring, and I hit upon a chasm with ratmen inside. Unfortunately they die quickly and don't breed, and that's no fun.

I tried to mod ratmen to breed fast and plentiful, but, at of yet, no dice. Can anyone point me to the tags I might need to add to get them to reproduce? I want an ongoing battle with the ratmen, not a pitiful 10 that die of old age before I've got some axes. :(

The ratman from the creature_standard raw is currently thus;

[CREATURE:RATMAN]
   [NAME:ratman:ratmen:ratman]
   [TILE:'r'][COLOR:0:0:1]
   [LARGE_ROAMING]
   [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
   [FREQUENCY:100]
   [GENPOWER:4]
   [CAN_LEARN][CAN_SPEAK]
   [CANOPENDOORS]
   [LARGE_PREDATOR]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:90]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:6]
   [PREFSTRING:mystery]
   [BODY:HUMANOID:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:4FINGERS:4TOES:MOUTH]
   [SIZE:4]
   [MAXAGE:3:4]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:1:2:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:2:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:ratmanling:ratmanlings][LITTERSIZE:9:27]
   [FEATURE_ATTACK_GROUP]
   [EQUIPS]
   [FAT:1]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10067]
   [LAYERING:100]
   [SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40d - Making creatures breedable
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:19:48 pm »

I think (and I may be wrong here) that in 40d subterreanean creatures just didn't breed period, regardless of which tags they had.

Of course, you could try raising their MAXAGE, or removing it altogether (this may result in higher populations as well, if you're willing to start a new fort. On that note, you could additionally increase the POPULATION_NUMBER and CLUSTER_NUMBER).

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 04:33:18 am »

I think a dungeon master may also be required to trigger the breeding of cave creatures. Sentient cave dwellers may not be capable of child birth.

In one of my older forts, after allowing giant olms and frogmen to breed via child tags, they only did so after my dungeon master arrived. However, while my giant olms then continued to spawn olm pups for the duration of the fort's life (fifty years), the frogmen never had any kids.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:55:03 am »

I think that intelligent creatures (such as ratmen) need to be married to have kids.  Not sure though.

I know that in 40d, once the Dungeon Master shows up wild Cave Crocodiles will breed (and breed, and breed...) so you should look at the tags for those and see what needs to be copied over to giant olms and cave creatures you want to breed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.